Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I know alot of you guys own several custom and semi-custom knives. If you could own only one to gut and skin game with which one would it be?

I have decided that I "need" a good custom or semi-custom knife but really don't know much about them. Every time I search a old thread I find another one that I like. Right now I really like the Dozier Yukon pro skinner but have never seen one in person.

Opinions anyone?

Dink

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I bought a wilson tactical back when Ryan was working out of his dads shop. It was called a small fighter. black micarta grips with red inserts, mirror polished blade and sharkskin sheath. He engraved my name on the tang.
I could get by with that one.

i dont know if he still even makes it.
glad to have gotten the fancy model early on. As I remember he started doing it in kydex and black/green finish.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If only one . . . I'm partial to Damascus steel . . .

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only just started checking the Knife Forum here on the campfire since I also wanted a nice custom but know nothing about them.

But I did just pick up a couple and I'm more than happy with them - both are David Winston model 61's with the Orange G-10. Mr. Winston sure was nice to deal with and his prices are great and the quality of his knives are 1st rate. Both he and Jason Winston put out nice stuff.

But yes +1 on the Dozier knives, I'd sure like one of those also.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This is a "personal" thing for me...I have thought the same thing and bought Randall, Dozier, Ingram, May,Winston and a couple others thrown in. I like em all and maybe prefer a Dozier Straight Personal the most. But, when going out the door, I usually take an old Case (large) folder a good friend gave me years ago. It's a good knife but no Ingram...good steel but not like the May or Winston. Not valuable like a Randall-except to me! I like it.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This one (well two) for custom

[Linked Image]

This one, but it's store bought and not a custom.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fancy, expensive knives are pleasant to look at and then put back in the box. I still have my old first knife from the 50's and fancy one made up by Steyr.

Too great a chance to loose one. The ordinary ones work just fine for me. These days I prefer the safety of a folder that has a serrated blade and a regular blade.

Here is one by 'Winchester' that does a great job. It's not only all I need but its better than some fancy ones.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.schnees.com/product/614/hunting-knives

"SheepHunter" by RJ Custom Knives

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Price: $529.00

However it does not say " TACTICAL " on it! grin

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's the one, beautiful isn't it?

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[Linked Image]

Price: $529.00

However it does not say " TACTICAL " on it! grin

Like the blade shape but as an all round knife the finger noches are a uncomfortable addition for those times when the knife is used sharp edge up.

An all round knife needs a slight drop point to ease opening up the skin.
It needs a handle that is equally usable edge up or down.
It needs a bit of belly to facilitate skining.
It needs enough straight edge to facilitate cutting.
Not necessarily findable in the one knife. I made and carry these two.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like my Dozier Yukon Pro, but comparing it to my Ingram #1 the blade shape is nearly identical. You can hold one above the other, aligning the tip and cutting edge and can't see any difference. From a working standpoint, they're both great just like carrying the Dozier because of the horizontal carry kydex sheath and the synthetic handle. That Spalted Maple Ingram is just too purty to take a chance on.
My Ingram Lite Hunter hasn't seen blood yet, but deer season opens next Wednesday!

Last edited by Ole_270; 11/26/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

in use...they were made for being used...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lovemy99; 11/27/11. Reason: added in use picture

Andrew
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have three custom knives and numerous commercial knives. I keep coming back to old ugly, my Buck 119. The American made bucks have very good steel in the blades; takes awhile to sharpen but holds and edge like nobodies business. I have used this knife for all of my local hunting and most of my guiding. I tried the custom knives guiding as they were supposed to hold an edge better than anything the other guides and the outfitter had used. After a couple of caribou it was back to old ugly.

I have used a variety of knives for skinning over the years, just bought old uglies younger brother the Buck skinner, very pleased as well.

Custom knives as the ones posted above are truly beautiful as are two of my custom knives (one is now kind off beat up from frequent use and washing)I just find for use it is the old stand by.

So to answer the question if I could own only one custom knife, it would be one which performed as well as the old Buck 119.

Thanks for sharing the pictures guys. GRF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of these by Guy Helscher

GH Knives

Mine.........

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dozier-

Same as OP DINK suggested. The Ingram Whammer combo is very nice, but I think his turnaround is now years, not months. Sure Bob is close to a year also. Just looked at AG Russell and that Yukon is pretty close to being added to cart.

Others have mentioned Winston. I do have one of his and used it this year. It is nice. Just always wanted a Dozier.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steel, nice to see fat, blood and hair on a knife once in a while.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not really a "custom" because it is a catalog item, but I would still choose this one for my all purpose skinning knife.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I picked up this Ingram Lite hunter from the 'fire classifieds a little bit ago. I could easily justify it being my last knife... But, I am just so dang impressed with the workmanship that I doubt it will be my last!

When I talked to Gene, he mentioned to me that he had several in inventory and sent me pics, so don't let the long wait scare you off. He may have what you want in stock.

John

[Linked Image]

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead

This one, but it's store bought and not a custom.

[Linked Image]

Scott,

I had that same set for years. Gave really good service and was quite versatile. I think I lost it in a move, and wish I had it back. Inexpensive and worked really well...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,204
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.