Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Going to pick one up soon for deer/elk hunting and wondered which set-up was perfered and why? THX!! SS with composite, SS with laminate, SS thumbhole, blued with composite, etc..........!

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If your looking to buy a new one all your going to be able to buy is a blue/composite unless you find a NIB SS model somewhere like GBroker for sell.
Myself I like a SS/ TH Laminate because I hunt in all types of weather conditions plus I like the feel of the TH stock.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have always been a fan of SS and just wanted a little feed back on the subject! My Austin & Hallack is SS and I like the ease of care. Been looking on GB and see they have a few listed! Thx!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The SS models are getting hard to find for sale anymore, last year at this time I had 3 of them but I'm down to just 1 now.

If I round across one I'll shoot you a pm if you want.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm of the same opinion as rick59, I have the SS/Laminate TH and love it. I'll be doing a little fine tuning with it at the range Saturday, getting ready for our ML deer season later this month.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i love my stainless savage,plus adding a custom pacnor barrel is so easy.. i love the laminate and ther thumbhole,,,,may be a bit heavier but shoulders rock steady and feels natural for me but for the money im going to build a rem 700ml smokeless for my son...only a few bucks more than the savage and will be top notch custom!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by nwtflogan; 12/08/11.

start em young!!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just throwing this out in favor of "ease to care for": I bought one of the T/C Pro-Hunters and then added a "smokeless" barrel from Smokeless Muzzle loading. Use H4198--no clean-up or very little like your center fire. I went this route 'cause I'm from IA and it's either BB gun slugs or a front loader. It's accurate, equally fast or a bit more so than BP or any of the substitutes making a set-up 300 yard shot possible. And....

NO CARBONED UP MESS!!!!! grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a blued with black synthetic stock, have had it over 6 years now. No rust or anything like that, had it hunting in the rain and down pours. Just keep it wiped down and cleaned, and you won't have a problem.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm with Redhawk, been running a blue/syn Savage since about '03 and it still looks just fine. I've had the entire gun covered in a layer of ice from freezing rain, put it through many down pours, snow, etc and she still works like a champ. Just last week I hunted through a day of rain with it. All I did was put the finger of a rubber glove over the muzzle after I loaded, and wiped her off after each hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the basic blued ML10. I have never learned to love the look of stainless, so the ability to use smokeless,totally avoiding the corrosive issues, caught my attention. Have used it for 3 years, in all kinds of weather, with success each year.
First 2 years I used the 300 gr XTP. For no real good reason, used the 250 gr FTX this year. Both bullets are effective on deer and I remained dazzled with the accuracy.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the guns discussed in this thread. I think the blued Savage barrels for, whatever reason, tend to be on average a little better than the SS Savage barrels for accuracy.

Of course, I'm partial to 45cal Pac-Nors. But, like I said, you can't go wrong with any of them!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,734
Posts18,514,368
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.