Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Going to pick one up soon for deer/elk hunting and wondered which set-up was perfered and why? THX!! SS with composite, SS with laminate, SS thumbhole, blued with composite, etc..........!

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If your looking to buy a new one all your going to be able to buy is a blue/composite unless you find a NIB SS model somewhere like GBroker for sell.
Myself I like a SS/ TH Laminate because I hunt in all types of weather conditions plus I like the feel of the TH stock.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have always been a fan of SS and just wanted a little feed back on the subject! My Austin & Hallack is SS and I like the ease of care. Been looking on GB and see they have a few listed! Thx!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The SS models are getting hard to find for sale anymore, last year at this time I had 3 of them but I'm down to just 1 now.

If I round across one I'll shoot you a pm if you want.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm of the same opinion as rick59, I have the SS/Laminate TH and love it. I'll be doing a little fine tuning with it at the range Saturday, getting ready for our ML deer season later this month.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i love my stainless savage,plus adding a custom pacnor barrel is so easy.. i love the laminate and ther thumbhole,,,,may be a bit heavier but shoulders rock steady and feels natural for me but for the money im going to build a rem 700ml smokeless for my son...only a few bucks more than the savage and will be top notch custom!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by nwtflogan; 12/08/11.

start em young!!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just throwing this out in favor of "ease to care for": I bought one of the T/C Pro-Hunters and then added a "smokeless" barrel from Smokeless Muzzle loading. Use H4198--no clean-up or very little like your center fire. I went this route 'cause I'm from IA and it's either BB gun slugs or a front loader. It's accurate, equally fast or a bit more so than BP or any of the substitutes making a set-up 300 yard shot possible. And....

NO CARBONED UP MESS!!!!! grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a blued with black synthetic stock, have had it over 6 years now. No rust or anything like that, had it hunting in the rain and down pours. Just keep it wiped down and cleaned, and you won't have a problem.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm with Redhawk, been running a blue/syn Savage since about '03 and it still looks just fine. I've had the entire gun covered in a layer of ice from freezing rain, put it through many down pours, snow, etc and she still works like a champ. Just last week I hunted through a day of rain with it. All I did was put the finger of a rubber glove over the muzzle after I loaded, and wiped her off after each hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the basic blued ML10. I have never learned to love the look of stainless, so the ability to use smokeless,totally avoiding the corrosive issues, caught my attention. Have used it for 3 years, in all kinds of weather, with success each year.
First 2 years I used the 300 gr XTP. For no real good reason, used the 250 gr FTX this year. Both bullets are effective on deer and I remained dazzled with the accuracy.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the guns discussed in this thread. I think the blued Savage barrels for, whatever reason, tend to be on average a little better than the SS Savage barrels for accuracy.

Of course, I'm partial to 45cal Pac-Nors. But, like I said, you can't go wrong with any of them!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 18 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.