-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's what's possible from a non-custom Husky actioned, Hart Barrelled and McMillan stocked 06. Not saying this is typical accuracy. Yes, that's 5 shots there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Confidence is a great reason to spend more money on a rifle. I had a custom pre-64 70 that shot great one of the most accuarte rifles i have ever owned. Over two season's i made several bad shots and done a little missing. Lost confidence is the gun, had to sender down the road. I killed several boone goats w/it and several 50 class whitetails. I would have never trusted it again. I guess the main thing is a guy doesnt have to spend 1000.00+ on a custom action to get good accuarcy
Originally Posted by 65BR
When my bolt handle broke off on one, I forever lost 100% confidence in a Remington, and will not use them for a serious use hunting rifle. Just me.

However rare something is, when it is You that is affected, then you are 100% of a statistic.

Confidence in reliability and re-sale value are both important to me.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 12/21/11.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 65BR
When my bolt handle broke off on one, I forever lost 100% confidence in a Remington, and will not use them for a serious use hunting rifle. Just me.

However rare something is, when it is You that is affected, then you are 100% of a statistic.

Confidence in reliability and re-sale value are both important to me.

How many of those custom Rem clone actions do you own that have one piece bolt assemblies...?

As far as I can determine, they all have braised on bolt handles just like the Remington.

Last edited by jim62; 12/21/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Defiance and surgeon have 1 pc handles as do Bordens more expensive Rimrock actions the rest are brazed on handles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jim62
How many of those custom Rem clone actions do you own that have one piece bolt assemblies...?

As far as I can determine, they all have braised on bolt handles just like the Remington.

Guessing tho that the guy doing the work has a touch more attention to detail and there's a larger emphasis on a quality outcome versus production number/crank out.

Me

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by teal

Guessing tho that the guy doing the work has a touch more attention to detail and there's a larger emphasis on a quality outcome versus production number/crank out.

That's good to know.

I was pretty shocked to find out the the McMillan G30 actions for example had brazed on handles.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just thinking that the most likely cause of Remington bolt handle issues is not necessarily HOW they're put on but HOW WELL it's done.

Those other custom manufacturers charge a premium price and for that you get a stricter attention to detail. Most likely done by a smaller group of guys who aren't tasked with doing 200 of them a day to a "good enough" standard but doing 20 and all of those need to be perfect/right.

But it could be I'm projecting my own sense of perfection/work ethic on a custom mfg. Dunno. Just saying that at first blush - I'd chalk up the lower numbers of custom action failures, even tho they use the same technique to better execution of said technique.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whats the number of custom actions combined out there in the field vs Remington 700's ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boy1
somewhere down the line is a BAT with my name on it .

be careful because once you have one you want more. mine with integral rail built in is one tank of an action. I can't imagine anything being more stiff than that action.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
somewhere down the line is a BAT with my name on it .

be careful because once you have one you want more. mine with integral rail built in is one tank of an action. I can't imagine anything being more stiff than that action.

Imagine a Surgeon!

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

The newer Stiller Predators now have one piece bolts.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought a BAT HR today. I don't care that the bolt is soldered on. I expect it to be a superior job of soldering. I've never heard of a problem with their bolt handles, but I have read quite a few qualified opinions stating they are the finest action built.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt about 700s - shoot well when properly assembled, owned many re-barreled, they all shot well.

But, after my 338/06 handle Literally fell off after returning from a Colorado Elk hunt, on the 1st shot at the range, that did it for me.

Sorry, and I won't tell anyone who HAS confidence in their Rem to get rid of it, MOST do fine...but as Teal said above, a custom mfg. simply puts more time and work into getting everything right, just as a custom bbl mfg. does....

No doubt MANY/MOST factory actions and bbls w/tupperware or walnut will get the job done.

Personally, if I seek a new production rifle for serious use, a Howa/Vanguard or Sako will allow me to forget about the potential bolt handle failure.

IF one has a Rem and wants to GUARANTEE they won't have their bolt handle fail as they do on rare occasion, PT&G can replace it and it might be cheap 'insurance' if you are going on an expensive hunt and/or a dangerous game hunt. Just a thought.

But, use whatever you have that is accurate to your expectations and reliable will serve you well.

Those Husky actions are SLICKKKKK, RD - I nearly bought an HVA S&W Mannlicher '06 for re-barrel, could not put it down! And true, all mass produced rifles are not immune to Murphy's Law...

But, OF all, I think the pre-garcia Sako's are the one that I have NEVER heard of ANY failure of any kind...not that there were none, mine did well in all regards. I am sure 95% of other rifle owners of other brands have had good service.

Good hunting to all, enjoy using whatever your choice is, and Merry Christmas to all!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think pacific tool makes a aftermarket one piece bolt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, that's Pacific Tool and Gauge above, unless there is another outfit PT?

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#bolts

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Defiance and surgeon have 1 pc handles as do Bordens more expensive Rimrock actions the rest are brazed on handles.
Pierce are TIG welded which isnt the same as silver brazed

TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas)

In TIG welding, a tungsten electrode heats the metal you are welding and gas (most commonly Argon) protects the weld puddle from airborne contaminants. TIG welding produces clean, precise welds on any metal.

TIG welding uses a non-consumable tungsten

Filler metal, when required, is added by hand

Shielding gas protects the weld and tungsten

Produces high quality, clean welds

Welds more metals than any other process

Brazing is a metal-joining process whereby a filler metal is heated above and distributed between two or more close-fitting parts by capillary action. The filler metal is brought slightly above its melting (liquidus) temperature while protected by a suitable atmosphere, usually a flux. It then flows over the base metal (known as wetting) and is then cooled to join the workpieces together. It is similar to soldering, except the temperatures used to melt the filler metal are above 450 �C (842 �F).

Last edited by SAKO75; 12/22/11.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All those processes are unnecessary if you send your bolt out to Lee24 Precession Riflesmithing like I did for his 700 bolt fix package. Process, which is proprietary in nature, includes removal of old handle and reattachment and is double sleeved. Price, which includes return shipping, $1800..... (bolt fluting and Sako extractor mod are extra).

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Imagine a Surgeon! [/quote] Ackleyfan , are you saying the Surgeon feels as rock solid as a BAT ? I've felt a few BATs and am asking a serious question .Can you elaborate a bit on a comparison ? As concerns Bolt handles , I remember an old friend of mine who was a Gunsmith in Michigan for over 30 years . He bought one of the earliest Coopers , dropped it and off came the handle . I was really shocked , but it did'nt seem to bother him much . This was strictly a Varmint Rifle ...no Big Game trophies involved . He had some discussions with Cooper and they changed their method of attachment at exactly this time , but I can't remember from-what-to-what , but I think it was to some form of welding . My friend never had anymore problems , but he never dropped that Rifle again . He did mention that he had seen a few Remington 700s that had that problem when he was a Gunsmith .

Last edited by boy1; 12/22/11.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
All those processes are unnecessary if you send your bolt out to Lee24 Precession Riflesmithing like I did for his 700 bolt fix package. Process, which is proprietary in nature, includes removal of old handle and reattachment and is double sleeved. Price, which includes return shipping, $1800..... (bolt fluting and Sako extractor mod are extra).

[Linked Image]

grin

To all gunmaker critics-
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Imagine a Surgeon!
Ackleyfan , are you saying the Surgeon feels as rock solid as a BAT ? I've felt a few BATs and am asking a serious question .Can you elaborate a bit on a comparison ? As concerns Bolt handles , I remember an old friend of mine who was a Gunsmith in Michigan for over 30 years . He bought one of the earliest Coopers , dropped it and off came the handle . I was really shocked , but it did'nt seem to bother him much . This was strictly a Varmint Rifle ...no Big Game trophies involved . He had some discussions with Cooper and they changed their method of attachment at exactly this time , but I can't remember from-what-to-what , but I think it was to some form of welding . My friend never had anymore problems , but he never dropped that Rifle again . He did mention that he had seen a few Remington 700s that had that problem when he was a Gunsmith . [/quote]

A surgeon 591 is as stiff or stiffer than a Bat VRPIC in rigidity, but a surgeon will never feel as nice as a bat, the bolt to race way tolerences and fit and finish are two different worlds!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.