Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by catnthehat
I answered an add on the EE that guy oldman1942 had...asked if he still had it for sale, then got a "goodiewrench has removed himself from this topic"

Who in blazes is goodiewrench!!
Goodiewrench is one of the many aliases that Oldman1942 has used over the times. I am guessing you saw the result of a profile name change.

There are another half dozen names that Larry has used, those are but a couple.
The short, condensed version is there's this jackass named Larry Root who resides in Florida (and also spends time around Pinedale, Wyoming from what I gather). Mr. Root -- and I use the term "Mr." very loosely -- is apparently engaged in the publishing business. His purpose for participating here is to be that of a classic "troll." I don't mean someone with a prickly personality, but someone who is nothing but a disruptive DICKHEAD. He makes Lee24 look like an amateur. He offers no useful data, no witty banter, contributes nothing tangible or intangible, and is about as charming as a leper.

Rick has flat-ass kicked him off here a few times, but Larry doesn't give up; he re-registers with a different name and summarily outs himself within two or three posts. (He masqueraded as his old lady for a little while.) When he was hanging around as "goodiewrench," Rick attempted to merge these different usernames so other members would know with whom they were dealing. That's why Oldman1942's posts became "goodiewrench" and vice-versa.

I've found him to be a minor annoyance until recently, because even I have limits as to what I'm willing to tolerate from misanthropic [bleep].

Keep an eye on a user posting as "redwolves." The registration date is the same as "pipercolt's" and the poster has posted in some of the same threads as pipercolt along with other fluff posts and WTB ads in the classifieds. This seems to be a little more than a coincidence. Let me know if this looks vaguely familiar: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Pitiful_factory_stocks_and_#Post5345567

Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Since I have jumped into this thread--beautiful rifle Bricktop, and in a caliber that is fast becoming a new favorite of mine. I will be clutching a 6.5x55 on our rifle opener this season. Mine will be in a Ruger 1A guise however.

Please keep us updated as you get some rounds through the 1885.
I bought a used Leupold Century 3x9 from the classifieds that's going aboard this rifle along with a new set of "Browning" (made by Burris) bases (missinglink had a killer price on several new sets). I just received an email from Brownell's indicating my Burris Signature rings are on their way, so by the weekend I'll have a scope mounted. (Gun season starts this weekend, so I'm not likely going to use it this year.)

My initial loads are going to be 40.0 grains of AA-4064 behind a Hornady 129-grain SP in Remington brass (I may use some of the Lapua I bought from 65BR instead) with a WLR primer. Accurate's load book indicates a velocity of around 2700 FPS, though I can't recall offhand what their barrel length was. (With a 28-inch tube, I'll try and stick with as slow a powder as I can get.)

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bricktop,
It is the rifle of my dreams.

Tack

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WHOA!! You stick him a noitch BELOW lee24??!!
man, you would have to look under a snake's belly to find- oh, never mind, I just remembered who you were talking about!!

You bought a leupold? What, no irons??
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by catnthehat
WHOA!! You stick him a noitch BELOW lee24??!!
man, you would have to look under a snake's belly to find- oh, never mind, I just remembered who you were talking about!!

You bought a leupold? What, no irons??
Cat
For whatever reason, I've just never put any serious effort into iron sight setups on my cartridge rifles. I've spent the money on quality handgun sights and sights for my muzzleloaders, but never my cartridge rifles. I need to rethink that and maybe put together a good Rolling Block or High Wall shooter one of these days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, an acquired taste, for sure!!:>)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I finally made it to the range to shoot the 6.5x55mm today, though it was late enough (about 3:45 in the P.M.) and every-friggin'-body and their dogs were there, that setting up the chronograph wasn't practical. At any rate, I had 23 rounds of ammo to split between the High Wall and a Ruger 77 I'd had re-barreled a while back as well, so making the most of my time and resources was beaucoup important.

I decided to try a sight-in method that I felt would save a little time: I fired two rounds at 50 yards (they wound up in the same hole), held the rifle steady in my handy Sinclair rest while centering the crosshairs on my aiming point, began to turn the adjustments until the crosshairs centered on the impact point, and then fired two more rounds and voila!

I then moved out to 100 yards and fired two more groups measuring right at 1 inch each. You could say I'm happy with the end result of this project.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Load was the previously mentioned 129 grain Hornady SP in Lapua brass (brass bought from 65BR some time ago) over 40.0 grains of AA-4064 and a Winchester WLR primer. I'm looking forward to developing more loads and hope to see what the rifle can do.

Scope is a Leupold Century Limited Edition 3x9 I bought from crow_sniper, and new bases were supplied by missinglink. Rings are Burris Signature Rings. (VERY NICE!!!) I had a spare sun shade and added it just 'cause.

If you're reading this, Spanokopitas, I want you to keep track of the rounds fired. I'm working on a bullet chronometer/ammunition Hobbs meter and I want to upload the data into that device once patents are filed and production begins. I'm willing to grant you 10% of any profits I receive from my future invention which is being developed at your suggestion. Thanks, dude.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Beautiful rifle!!
But my Good God!! What a gorgeous range. Yuo`ll never know how lucky you are to have such a place! The $%$^&^^ ENVIROPUKES have closed all our ranges with the help of DEQ EPA and on and on. Take care you never lose it.
Aloha, Mark
In [Screwed up] S. Oregon

When fear of death is no longer a big deal~~~ the "Rules of War" change dramatically!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

Inspired by your re-barrel project(which is clearly on the high road to success), I've decided to re-barrel a Ruger #3 from 375 Win to 25-35.

My #3 will never be a beauty queen(except to me) but I sure hope it shoots.

Will post more as info and progress allow. Right now, Dave Manson is making a 25-35 reamer for me.

Congrats on your rifle.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
My #3 will never be a beauty queen(except to me) but I sure hope it shoots.
I don't know, every mama crow thinks her babies are the blackest! I think a .25-35 No. 3 would be pretty damned sweet. I've been kicking around that idea myself and will be excited to hear of your progress.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

This may help you toward your 25-35.

After I use my reamer, it will be free for use by the Fire.

Just pay shipping.

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Bricktop,

This may help you toward your 25-35.

After I use my reamer, it will be free for use by the Fire.

Just pay shipping.

Steve
Ha! I would love to, but I've already got too many irons in the fire for 2012. I'm sending off a left-handed Model 70 next week to get re-barreled to 7x57mm and I'll be sending off a short action Hawkeye not too long after that to get re-barreled to .257 Roberts. And if my Low Wall in the classifieds doesn't sell, it'll go to Dan Pedersen to become a .250-3000.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats. Do consider trying slower powders like 4350/4831 and RL19/22 based on my experience w/Swede.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
Congrats. Do consider trying slower powders like 4350/4831 and RL19/22 based on my experience w/Swede.
4350 is next on the agenda. I have jugs of IMR 4350 and AA 4350 along with about a pound of H4350 that I'll try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around 45.5 w/129 or 130 AB......

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went out for another range session today and also managed to chronograph a few rounds, too.

The latest load featured a Hornady 140 grain SP over 43.0 grains of H-4350 in the same Lapua brass with a WLR primer. Overall length was 3.044" or 2.517" as measured from the ogive. (This was about 0.020" short of the throat.) A five-shot group at 100 yards measured 0.831" with an average velocity of 2717 FPS from the 28-inch barrel. An 11-shot string yielded a high velocity of 2726 FPS, a low velocity of 2707 FPS, and an extreme spread of 19.52 FPS with a standard of deviation of 6.55. Ambient temperature was recorded as 54 Deg F from the nearby weather station and there was a north wind gusting up to 17 MPH. (It made it feel a tad chilly.)

I started to shoot the same load through my Ruger 77 in 6.5x55mm for comparison, but the damned sunlight began to fade preventing one of the chronograph screens from picking up the bullet. I did get three shots, however, and the velocity was about 100 FPS slower in the Ruger's 24-inch barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 24" Mauser got 100fps more than my 21"...IMR4831/120s...fwiw.

You may have a tad more upside if you want it, but I'd be happy w/2700, BCs are high...Congrats!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I doubt I'll try to push the limits of pressure and velocity as much as I'll chase good, practical (and repeatable) accuracy.

I have Hornady 129-, 140-, and 160-grain slugs to try along with some Sierra 140-grain Game Kings. (I wish more conventional "cup and core" manufacturers would embrace the 129-grain 6.5 mm than just Hornady.) No one appears to currently stock any of the Speer 140-grain bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree - I ran my 22" K1A at 2700......sub moa all day.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,028 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.