GB1

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I win...

[Linked Image]

Naw, just kidding, it's not mine.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Chetaf
I can't believe that we have overlooked the 7mm Mashburn in this discussion. Any chambering that requires you to buy a special reamer and dies and then resize .300 Win Mag brass so you can equal the performance of the 7mm Weatherby and not quite match the 7mm STW is face down in a pile of Loony!

Chet

Chet...any guy who has to throat out 7RM's to get them to perk 175's is just a step behind the Mashburn folks in the Loony Bin..he just can't admit it yet. I know the symptoms wink grin

Obviously somethin' wasn't quite right with the 7RM or you would not have throated.....BTDT. wink

And anyone who owns an Echols,and squawks about a couple of C-Notes for dies needs to revealuate.... cool

Talk to Darcy.... whistle

You're only a small step away from needing a reamer. You seem young yet....another few years of dickin' with those 7 RM's will have you calling Dober for the reamer.The 7 Weatherby won't cut it..same as a long throat 7 RM (pressure/ pressure!).......I'll save a slot in the Bin for ya...

All in fun my friend.. grin

I mean.....can I help it if the factories never got it quite right? wink

Bob,

Don't you try to drag me down your path to complete Loonyism! grin

I think there is a pretty big difference between having a rifle with a longer throat, that can still use commonly available factory ammo and $35 dies from Wal-Mart, and a full-on wildcat like the Mashburn.

I know this from at least a little bit of experience. I tried the AI thing once, got another 100 fps and found it was only so much mental gymnastics. (And I could still use factory ammo in that rifle).

With all due respect, I try to follow the advice of the more sensical guy's on the 'fire like this one. He seems like one logical cat: cool

Originally Posted by BobinNH

All this AI activity among rifle nuts is really good, of course cause it's nice to have these choices to keep everyone on their toes and find new and creative ways to spend more money and have a good time.And I say any AI junky should get what he wants and have fun with it if that's what he likes.

But arguing with a straight face that there is some kind of magic associated with these things, by filling some minute and insignificant performance gap,whether in the field or at the loading bench, is a waste of brain matter.

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 12/29/11.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
308 Winchester,You can find it in ANY modern Rifle. You can get more Aftermarket stuff for said Rifle. You can Find the Ammo just about everywhere. You can load it with Bullets from 110gr. to 220gr. You really have to work hard to put to much Varget in it. Recoil is mild. You can Kill just about anything on the Planet with it( without Stunt shooting).Extremely Accurate.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
What is it?
What is your thought on the one cartridge that is epitomy of being a rifle loony? You know, when some has one it just oozes rifle loony.

Of all the rifles in my safe I'd say the two that come closest to your question say 285 OKH and 9mm Mauser on them. laugh

BTW, there is one that is stamped 275 Rigby in there too. blush

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by safariman
I have had a couple of those as well. Both versions, and yes thay ARE a rifle Looney round to be sure! WONDERFUL cartridge. I ended up just using 243 Brass necked down and fireformed, the Remmy small primer BR stuff just is not needed, and I got better and more reliable ignition and more consistent shot to shot velocites with the 243 brass and CCI Bench Rest primers.

Maybe I just saved you a whole pile of time and trouble and money....

Good reply!

But - I've ALWAYS used 243 brass and normal primers (even Magnum ones) - I am a rifle loony - but I'm not loony enough to want to use weak little primers. wink

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by KDK
I always figure that when I get a .375 Weatherby, it will be a sure sign I've gone off the deep end.

Hey! Easy there! I have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby that weighs 7 1/2 lbs with scope.

I'm thinking a 7mm - 50 BMG wildcat shooting 160g Partitions at 4000 fps would be a little on the loony side ...

Don't get me wrong, I want to build one on an SS M70 action, but it is pretty loony...

No problem KDK I have a set of RCBS 375 Weatherby dies I'll sell you. That way you will have a good excuse for the build. "I allready have the dies" . Magnum Man

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I have just taken a break from the reloading room, and realized that it is my duty to report myself for a flagrant act of loonyism. I am loading .300 Sav. rounds for a bolt action rifle (Rem 700). When you think about it, what reason is there to chamber a modern bolt gun in .300 Sav in the first place. And I bought one and load for it. Definately loony.

In that case, I guess I qualify also. I had a Remington 700 Classic in .300 Savage but that wasn't loony enough. I bought a Model 70 stainless classic short-action in .22-250 and sent it to Hart's Barrel Works and had a 24" #4 contour .30 caliber barrel installed and had it chambered for .300 Savage. Right now I have to fit an Accurate Innovations walnut stock with built-in aluminum bedding block to the barreled action and it will be my big game rifle.

I also sent a Model 70 classic in .270 to Douglas and had a .257 Roberts barrel installed and I'm in the process of fitting a Super Grade stock that I found on ebay. That will be my deer rifle and 'yote rifle.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you have a pair of Brennekes in 7x64 and 9.3x64, that should qualify you, as would possessing both a 7x61 S&H and a .308 Norma magnum.

Anybody who does a 7mm Gradle is beyond Loony status and is off the deep end (OTDE).

Owning original 40-Xs in both 6mm International and .30/338 might qualify you also.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Reading this thread has convinced me I'm not worthy, but I'll put up the 25 rem, 30 rem and 32 rem trio because I like old school, the brass is interchangeable and the corkscrew tubes on the Remington 14's add to the "cool" factor. And paying the price for that ammo when I could be shooting my 6mm or 308 , and, yes, my 222 rem instead must count for something.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think we need to come to an understanding that there are stages of loonism (as shown here and in like many medical conditions) from [/i] just touched [i] to [/i] head shaking [i] and perhaps a couple in-between.

That "358 Hoosier" is different--that's downright clever.

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
6mm Remington Not only do I love it, my son who is 15 now has two rifle so chambered, a Remington Model 600 Centennial in 6mm and a Ruger MKII in 6mm. I still have one I call my own also which is a Ruger #1B in 6mm and I'm looking to find the perfect bolt action so I have one in a bolt rifle as well. I'd love to find a good used Model 70 controlled round feed rifle to build it on!!

Not only do we have three in our family then, but I like to allow my friends to experience the mighty 6mm Reminton. I talked a buddy into getting one and another friend many years ago, a bunch of us guys got him a Ruger #1B in 6mm for his wedding shower/gift like they do for the women folk. I got tired of seeing women have all the fun and I thought it was a great idea to have some buddies throw in together on this "gift". Goodness knows, once a guy gets married, at least initially, the rifle buying slows for a while until finances and other things straighten out.

Maybe the 6mm Remington isn't loony after all, but being it's biggest advocate/cartridge pushing pimp is! grin

Last edited by 6mm; 01/01/12. Reason: tweaked
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
How about the 300 short whelen Ackley Improved. Always be prepared to one up at least three levels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me it's the .218 Bee. It won't really do anything the .22 Hornet can't, The much more readily available .20 and .22 calibers can be bought off the shelf at most gun shops while the Bee factory loads are scarce and expensive.

Since my rifle is a lever action, suitable bullets for reloading are few in choice and brass is kinda' hard to scrape up sometimes.

Now, With all those negatives stacked against it I still love the 'lil bastage and it sees more use over the course of a year than any rifle I own.

Besides,coyotes,fox and snapping turtles must absolutely hate it since it's fubar'd so many of their family members. grin

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 6mm
6mm Remington Not only do I love it, my son who is 15 now has two rifle so chambered, a Remington Model 600 Centennial in 6mm and a Ruger MKII in 6mm. I still have one I call my own also which is a Ruger #1B in 6mm and I'm looking to find the perfect bolt action so I have one in a bolt rifle as well. I'd love to find a good used Model 70 controlled round feed rifle to build it on!!

Not only do we have three in our family then, but I like to allow my friends to experience the mighty 6mm Reminton. I talked a buddy into getting one and another friend many years ago, a bunch of us guys got him a Ruger #1B in 6mm for his wedding shower/gift like they do for the women folk. I got tired of seeing women have all the fun and I thought it was a great idea to have some buddies throw in together on this "gift". Goodness knows, once a guy gets married, at least initially, the rifle buying slows for a while until finances and other things straighten out.

Maybe the 6mm Remington isn't loony after all, but being it's biggest advocate/cartridge pushing pimp is! grin

Damn, no pimping of the .280? smile

Kurt

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have two 25 Remingtons...a Model 14 and a new 22 Hornet rebored and rechambered to a 25 Remington. I also have 30/40 Krag Handi-Rifle rechambered from a 30/30. I like round-nosed and flat-nosed jacketed bullets and hard cast bullets at moderate velocity, but I'm okay. Everyone else here is a little off, though. grin

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by k3yston3
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I thought of a couple that might make the grade as suficiently Rifle Loonyish.
7x57

I'll agree on the 7x57 but only if you stamp it .275 Rigby. That would give you some extra rifle loony panache

+ 1 Cant get any better than that moniker.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by 6mm

Damn, no pimping of the .280? smile

Kurt

I know pretty sad isn't it Kurt! grin

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I like the 7X57 Mauser as the Rifle Loony Mascot...

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
or .22 Hornet?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 11 invisible), 1,375 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,698
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.