Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
After reading the replies in the "favorite factory fixed blade" thread, I'm leaning toward getting a Bark River knife; so, what Bark River do you have, how do you like it, and would you please post a picture? I'm looking at both field/camp knives and knives for field dressing animals.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
here is a well used Bravo1. It is the top blade in the pic
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a couple:

[Linked Image]

Fox River on the left, then a couple arno's, then BR PSK, Mini Canadian and a Gunny.........dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bravo 2, Bravo 1 and Gunny:

[Linked Image]

................dj

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few Cocobolo Barkies:

[Linked Image]

Bravo 1 - 154 CM
Gunny Stainless
Canadian Special
Aurora
Liten Bror - 3V
Classic Light Hunter

FWIW I think that the Gunny is probably the best overall size for hunting. The Bravo is an awesome survival/hunting knife. The Aurora is probably the best Bushcraft knife.............dj

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I HAVE THE CANADIAN SPEACIAL BUT I CANT POST PICS RIGHT NOW BUT I LOVE IT ITS MY GO TO HUNTING KNIFE PERFECT FOR FIELD DRESSING AND SKINNING

7mm/08 death punch
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Oregon45
After reading the replies in the "favorite factory fixed blade" thread, I'm leaning toward getting a Bark River knife; so, what Bark River do you have, how do you like it, and would you please post a picture? I'm looking at both field/camp knives and knives for field dressing animals.

I have owned Barkies now for about 9 years.

For general outdoor use, if you like a drop point blade I would recommend starting out with a Fox River model. They run about $150 to $175 in most handle materials and are probably Bark River's best selling game dressing knife. About a 4.25" blade with great cutting power. The Arched Spine along with the drop point are great for dressing deer. It also works well as a general purpose knife due to it's blade shape and thickness. At least one Survival instruction school remmmends it as a survival knife.

One warning though, most Bark River Knives only come in a convex blade grind. Unless you are OK with Convex style sharpening /stropping don't buy one. It is a waste to buy a full convexed blade and then try to put a "V " secondary bevel on it. Buy a flat or hollow ground knife from some other maker if you want to do that.

It's about like putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Lamborgini. wink

Last edited by jim62; 01/06/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jim62
[quote=Oregon45]
One warning though, most Bark River Knives only come in a convex blade grind. Unless you are OK with Convex style sharpening /stropping don't buy one. It is a waste to buy a full convexed blade and then try to put a "V " secondary bevel on it. Buy a flat or hollow ground knife from some other maker if you want to do that.

What is the special method or equimpment for sharpening a convex grind? I have BR canadian that may need sharpening some day and all I have is flat stones and a spyderco sharpmaker.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Top- Bravo 1
Middle- Woodland Special
Bottom- Ptarmigan

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Joedjr; 01/07/12.
I wanted a high quality fixed blade as my hunting knife for upland bird, coyote, deer, and small game. I hunt an average of 30 to 40 days each winter here in Kansas and plan on carrying and using this knife a lot. I choose a Highland Special in Antique Stag Bone.
When I opened up the knife I loved the look of the handle, the over all length, shape, and feel of the knife. Then the disappointments.
1. I felt the blade, didn't feel sharp, so I tried shaving some hair, it wouldn't shave. I tried shaving with both sides of the blade and it would only shave in a small area right at the upsweep of the blade. (Not a huge deal, I was able to get it shaving sharp with a few minutes on my strop, but I was looking forward to the famous factory sharp edge I've heard so much about.)
2. There was a very small burr at the top of the choil where the blade begins. The burr was not prominent enough to see but I could definitly feel it. (Again, not a huge deal I was able to stone it off with little effort.)
3. One of the Stag scales was noticeably thicker than the other. I hope you will be able to tell from the pictures. Is this normal? Would you be satisfied with it?
I called BRKT and they were very nice about the situation and told me they would do whatever it takes to make me happy, even if they have to replace the handle.
I really don't want to be a pain in the ass, overly picky customer. So I would like to know what you BRKT lovers out there would do?
Please don't hate me for posting something negative about BRKT. I'm not trying to run anyone down, just posting about my experience.

Attached Images
iphonepics1-5-12 015.jpg (13.37 KB, 2370 downloads)
iphonepics1-5-12 012.jpg (30.99 KB, 275 downloads)
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mighty
I wanted a high quality fixed blade as my hunting knife for upland bird, coyote, deer, and small game. I hunt an average of 30 to 40 days each winter here in Kansas and plan on carrying and using this knife a lot. I choose a Highland Special in Antique Stag Bone.
When I opened up the knife I loved the look of the handle, the over all length, shape, and feel of the knife. Then the disappointments.
1. I felt the blade, didn't feel sharp, so I tried shaving some hair, it wouldn't shave. I tried shaving with both sides of the blade and it would only shave in a small area right at the upsweep of the blade. (Not a huge deal, I was able to get it shaving sharp with a few minutes on my strop, but I was looking forward to the famous factory sharp edge I've heard so much about.)
2. There was a very small burr at the top of the choil where the blade begins. The burr was not prominent enough to see but I could definitly feel it. (Again, not a huge deal I was able to stone it off with little effort.)
3. One of the Stag scales was noticeably thicker than the other. I hope you will be able to tell from the pictures. Is this normal? Would you be satisfied with it?
I called BRKT and they were very nice about the situation and told me they would do whatever it takes to make me happy, even if they have to replace the handle.
I really don't want to be a pain in the ass, overly picky customer. So I would like to know what you BRKT lovers out there would do?
Please don't hate me for posting something negative about BRKT. I'm not trying to run anyone down, just posting about my experience.

I partially understand where you are coming from. It's is always disapointing to get something you expect near perfection from only to have QC issues. That being said, Bark Rivers are mostly built by hand. All of the areas that affect final fit and finish are done by human beings and they are fallible.

The only thing Mike Stewart gets upset about is when folks do pretty much exactly what you are doing here. Unless Bark River has the knife in hand to address those issues directly, they really cannot help you. To me, that is common sense and common courtesy.

Send it to them with as complete of a rundown of the problems as you have listed here. They will do whatever is humanly possible to make it right.

Last edited by jim62; 01/07/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by jim62
[quote=Oregon45]

What is the special method or equimpment for sharpening a convex grind? I have BR canadian that may need sharpening some day and all I have is flat stones and a spyderco sharpmaker.

Here you go-

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/pages.php?pID=4&CDpath=0

Even folks who own Flat ground blades and flat should learn how strop their blades.

No matter WHAT blade grind you have on a knife or what steel it is made from, it is smarter to maintain that edge over time rather than resharpen on stones. The proper uses of hard leather strops with compound allow you to do that.

Unless you chip or roll the edge, you can go a LONG time without resorting to anything more harsh than a stop and black emory compound.

If I were you I would get the $41.00 double sided strop bat/compound kit from Kniveshipfree.com . Then watch those videos several times more to understand what you are doing..

It will be money/time well spent and it will help keep all your knives sharper. But it is pretty much the only way to fly on a Bark River knife.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a fantastic series of video clips Jim62.Thanks for posting. Now I have to find the green and black compound here in NZ. Is is feasable to turn a flat ground blade into a convex edge just by using the old mouse pad and various grades of w&d from 300 through to 2000.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
mighty i think as much as stag costs you should send it back for a better set of more matched scales.--cranky72

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VonGruff
That is a fantastic series of video clips Jim62.Thanks for posting. Now I have to find the green and black compound here in NZ. Is is feasable to turn a flat ground blade into a convex edge just by using the old mouse pad and various grades of w&d from 300 through to 2000.

Von Gruff.

VG, Your should send an email thanking the folks at knivesshipfree.com wink

Several years ago, Derrek and his crew held a contest for the best vids and this series was the winner.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the bottom is a Blackjack Classic 125, made by Bark River. Moving clockwise a Fox River, Skinner, Oregon Trail, Pro Scalpel, and two Little Nessies.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 54Woody
At the bottom is a Blackjack Classic 125, made by Bark River. Moving clockwise a Fox River, Skinner, Oregon Trail, Pro Scalpel, and two Little Nessies.
[Linked Image]

That Oregon Trail is a doozy, and the Fox river would do as an all round knife for my needs.best overall shape and size.

Von Gruff.

Last edited by VonGruff; 01/09/12.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The Fox River is the second best selling Bark River knife behind the Bravo 1. wink

Great factory made hunting knife.

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mighty

Contact them and follow through. I didn't like the sheath with a BR I bought and asked them about substitute bush craft styles and they worked with me on the phone to find one I liked better. They sent me the new sheath first and had faith I would send the other one back for credit and it all worked well.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.