Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Ruger, rather belatedly, has seen the market shift to less costly rifles, and addressed that. I don't see it as a bad thing. The rifle's lines are better than most of the other "budget, entry-level" guns out there, too. There's not much innovation, but in that price level, I doubt anyone's looking for much of that.
I have "enough" deer rifles, I don't need one, and probably won't buy one, but I can, objectively see the market, and the Ruger name won't be tarnished by it.

Not only will the Ruger name not be tarnished but many of these economy rifle buyers will eventually want a nicer rifle and my bet is that many of them will upgrade to a M77 since they will have been happy with the low priced Ruger.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
ruger barrels are hammer forged so its going to be the same barrel that goes on a 77. if the trigger is decent and the stock free floats the barrel i will guess it going to be a very accurate rifle.
not pretty but accurate. as well the rotary magazine reminds me of the Steyr M series and they fed like snot on hot greased glass.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ringworm
i will guess it going to be a very accurate rifle.

That is a WAG.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
T

Is this rifle made in two action lengths? Looking at the photos of this rifle the magazine may not enable top loading either!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see how the folks who like it say it's gonna be great or how the folks who don't like it say it's gonna be garbage.

Nobody has even seen one yet.

Personally, I think it looks like schit and I won't be buying one, but that doesn't mean it won't be a decent rifle....or not.

JM

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
C'mon, JM, you HAVE to notice the resemblance between it and the X-Bolt, right? laugh

Short bolt lift, detestable magazine, lotsa plastic........

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I don't see how the folks who like it say it's gonna be great or how the folks who don't like it say it's gonna be garbage.

Nobody has even seen one yet.

Personally, I think it looks like schit and I won't be buying one, but that doesn't mean it won't be a decent rifle....or not.

JM

John,

I respectfully disagree. Since you are the owner of a Browning X-bolt rifle your comments on the looks of that Ruger is even more baffeling.

A full video review of the gun is p[osted at Gunblast.com.
It clearly shows all the features of the rifle.

It is NOT ugly. A Remingon 710 is ugly. Savage 110 actions are Ugly.And that is not due to surface aesthetics but their basic lines.
It you were to take a solid Black Silhouette cutout of that Ruger and compare it to the sihlouettes of many Classic rifles, most folks would pick that that Ruger.It sure would not stick out as a dog.

The total styling of it as sure as hell no more weird than any Browning Synthetic stocked X-Bolt(or A bolt,Tikka T-3 or Sako A7 for that matter)

As to the way they will shoot-the basic design of this rifles action and stock bedding is the same as a $8,000 Jarret Tri-lock. How bad could Ruger's QC screw that up?

Last edited by jim62; 01/06/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm thinking I might buy one. Wonder when they will be available?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
They say they will start shipping in January.

I'd like to get one in .243

It would make a good 'yote rig.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
From what I see you be able to buy one from several wholeseller's for right at $300 ain't out too much I suppose

Last edited by JerradPelzer; 01/06/12.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I never met a gun I didn't like. Looks like no matter what caliber you get, its gonna be a long action like the Tikka. I don't own a Tikka, but if they make this gun in left hand I'll probably end up owning one in .30-06 because I like Ruger. It'll make a good pig gun and it could run around on the quad without me worrying to much about it.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Where are you getting the idea they are all long actions ? Ruger's specs say the .243 and .308 have an OAL .5" shorter than the .270 and .30-06. Since they all have 22" barrels, it would seem the difference must be in the action

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Where are you getting the idea they are all long actions ? Ruger's specs say the .243 and .308 have an OAL .5" shorter than the .270 and .30-06. Since they all have 22" barrels, it would seem the difference must be in the action

You're right. I coulda swore when I looked at the specs yesterday that they were all the same length.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm interested to see what COAL the magazine allows. Hopefully it will be 2.9" or so like the 77 and not cramp the short action rounds.

Then a fellow could buy a barrel costing more than the rifle and make a long .257 Roberts AI out of it... wink

The more I look at this and the individual design features the more it grows on me. Hope they make'em in left hand before too long, I'd like to get one in .243 just to try out.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd buy the Marlin XS7/XL7 at $319 and skip this one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It certainly looks like an X-Bolt.

Aesthetically, a black rifle with a black stock has the appeal of a white wall tire, especially ones with tire treads on the forearm and grip. Doesn't matter who makes it. Just my opinion.

The X-Bolt doesn't look too spiffy either, but it handles better than any rifle Browning has made. They are shooters and mine has been reliable.

This one may or may not be the same way. You still have to get your hands on it to know what you've got.

Just because it has V-Lock bedding doesn't mean anything, unless it is done right.

Point being, everything is conjecture at this point regarding performance. Of course, there could be features that appeal to some.

And Ratsmacker, the only plastic on an X-Bolt is the rotary mag.

Keep trying pard, you will accidentally be right about something one day. laugh wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Only guys that say, "Excuse me, I gotta go tinkle now," would own a rifle named Tikka.

Look at the new Tikka Sporter:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As Eric Cartman would say, "That's so gay!"

Looks like a cross between a BMW jack handle, an Eames Molded Plywood Chair and a boot scraper. What a ridiculous piece of Euro-trash posing as a rifle.

I'll take the Ruger every day. Hell I may buy one just for fun, maybe I'll put a sticker on it that says, "I could have bought a Tikka, but I'm a straight American."

Okay, see you later.

Tikka! [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can,t believe there is no 22-250 or 223 option in this line up

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I'd go for a Vanguard, way before the Ruger.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by southtexas
Can I provide you with the names of some reputable shrinks?
It might have a subliminal effect -- on them.

Pricktop,
Legend in his spare time:)

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 43 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,015
Posts18,520,703
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.