Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
sitka cold front. mine never ceases to amaze me at how warm it keeps me with just my normal base layer/shirt combo.best jacket Ive ever owned

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Been wearing a Wiggy's Sweater for the last 12 years. The new ones have a Suplex exterior that is much better when it is windy out than the original light nylon exterior ones.

When it gets dirty or smokey smelling just throw it in the washing machine.. My original 1998 vintage Sweater gets washed 2-3 times a year. Was out the other day at 8* with a thermal t-shirt and was very warm while walking...

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=195&CFID=8428730&CFTOKEN=70174686

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Cabela's Synthetic Down jacket!! They had smoking deal earlier and I bought 3 jackets and one vest. They are great stuff for money.

I got one jacket for my son and two jackets and a vest for myself.
i ordered XL and XXL jackets. XL I can wear under shell and XXL over the shell when stopping for glassing and it's not raining.
I paid $30 each, except XXL was $40. For winter hunting I can layer both XL and XXL and be very warm...

Lately I also got GoLite's vest which have 60g insulation.I think this is not nearly as warm as Cabelas syn down. However Golite is crazy light

For single heavier jacket I'd be interested of Das Parka but that's pretty expensive.
Matt

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
http://www.cabelas.com/mens-layering-jackets-parkas-cabelas-ultra-pack-synthetic-jacket-1.shtml

Try this for the cabelas synthetic ultra pack jacket. It looks like they used to have one with a hood that would have been great.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Kuiu Spindrift Primaloft insulated jacket packs small, fits well and is warm for the weight. I love it for backpack hunting here in British Columbia.

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I've got one of those patagonia das parks in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Also, I like using a nice puffy vest instead of the full jacket. I find the vest keeps me plenty warm, and my midlayer fleece with my raincoat/windcoat keeps my arms plenty warm enough.

Puffy vest is not as warm and not as bulky as its equivalent jacket.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
just a followup, I told you guys I bought a cabelas wooltimate jacket. in an attempt for a one coat fits all approach, this way I can keep something to keep my head warm and gloves inside the coat, basically in an effort to manage my gear better. wool for some reason to me keeps me warm but doesn't get so hot normally basically I seem to just feel comfortable all the time with it on. But it can be heavy most of us know the draw backs of wool. however the wooltimate coat is a blend. its also not too heavy, as a pure back packing coat I would probably want something lighter.

yesterday took it out for some coyote hunting. did one stand temp 14 degrees and with a steady 10mph wind. this is about the most challenging conditions I will hunt in with it and I can tell you with a hoodie on under it, I was fine, coat did a great job of blocking the wind, but was comfortable to have on all day while riding around in the truck of course unzipped. this is alot to ask of a coat and one I am not sure was possible but this coat did great. while I wish the sleeves were a little more trim I didn't feel like the michelin man with the coat on. highly recommend this coat.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 58 invisible), 3,064 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.