Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Remington has the XCR Satin Stainless Trinyte and now the XCR II Satin Black Trinyte coating. I was just wondering, is this better known as Robar NP3 and Robar RoGuard coating???

Just wondering...

(Posted this in the gunwriters forum with no luck so I thought I'd try it here)

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It is a titanium nitride coatin. NP3 unless I am mistaken is electroless nickel mixed with Teflon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
It is a titanium nitride coatin. NP3 unless I am mistaken is electroless nickel mixed with Teflon.

And it's outstanding. Better than cerakote & maybe even better(IMO) than Blasers nitrate/special recipe coating,.... which I love.

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

From Remington's site;

The Model 700 XCR II� is truly built for extreme conditions with our patented TRINYTE Corrosion Control System. This proprietary process starts with a durable, machined 416 stainless steel barreled action which then undergoes a multi-step coating process, enhancing its corrosion and abrasion resistance to a diamond-like level. A base layer of electroless nickel plating is applied, followed by a satin-finished black PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) layer. Though micro-thin, this protective barrier provides virtual elimination of corrosion and superior abrasion resistance, comparable to the Rockwell Scale rating for diamonds. All exposed metalwork wears the TriNyte finish � barrel, action, bolt, bolt head and trigger.

----------------------------

From reading that I was thinking it was a ENP coating and figured they had sub-contracted Robar to do it? But with you stating it's a titanium nitride coating that has me reconsidering.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunting through the wet season with the 3 rifles listed. Nosler 48(cerakote), Blaser R93 & XCR.
The XCR has the best 'wet weather' attributes IMO. Just not one sign of rust! It's slicker too.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PVD is amazing stuff............state of the art coating.

MM

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Here's a question. If you trim the barrel on an XCR rifle, is it correct to assume that the new muzzle would lack the protection of the rest of the rifle?

Oh, and one more. Is the bore coated too?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Here's a question. If you trim the barrel on an XCR rifle, is it correct to assume that the new muzzle would lack the protection of the rest of the rifle?

Yes.

No.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 340Wby
I hunting through the wet season with the 3 rifles listed. Nosler 48(cerakote), Blaser R93 & XCR.
The XCR has the best 'wet weather' attributes IMO. Just not one sign of rust! It's slicker too.

So did the Blaser or Nosler show any signs of rust? I know the XCR's are tough, I have two of them and they have never showed any signs of rust.

NEVER GIVE UP
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I don't know what that chit is but I love it!! grin...............Hb

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya, it really works!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BIGR

So did the Blaser or Nosler show any signs of rust? I know the XCR's are tough, I have two of them and they have never showed any signs of rust.

Yes, very slight/small rust spots did appear on my R93 338WM barrel, but these were tiny! My 7mm-08 barrel was better but that did sustain a hit which chipped off a small amount of coating.

The 48 did not rust but the coating on this particular rifle did not seem as tough as the other 2 mentioned, as it wore rather easily.

Another chap I know had his bolt stick(R93) whilst up NT hunting pigs in the tropical heat. Apparantly rust formed inside the barrel near where it locks up. This lightly fused the barrel & bolt head, which made it impossible to cycle. A hard smack(bolt) on the nearest sorted it out. The rifle performed perfectly after that.

The moral of the story here is. 'if it has t!ts wheels or firearms there are bound to be problems' LOL wink

Last edited by 340Wby; 01/18/12.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Yes.

No.

Curses!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just looking at my R8 Pro stock, where the action block mates to the synthetic stock. It does seem like the 'coated' steel screw & washer(secures the bedding block) has a bit of surface rust around it. This was due to 2 full days of rain(humidity was up those days too).

Let it also be said. I never clean my rifles to thorough, so this is my own fault I guess..... But there is nothing I see that will render this firearm useless now or my lifetime.....so I just let it ride & enjoy wink

PS- My NULA SS barrel did get rust spots too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yes.

No.

I did have my XCR's barrel cut down. It was 26" and that just ain't how I roll. So far no rust on the cut part <g>.

The fact that the bore isn't coated bears remembering, especially since the rest of the rifle is so oblivious to the weather. Might fool a guy in salty conditions.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i just bought an XCR II in .375 RUM and it does appear that the bore is coated.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just looking at my R8 Pro stock, where the action block mates to the synthetic stock. It does seem like the 'coated' steel screw & washer(secures the bedding block) has a bit of surface rust around it. This was due to 2 full days of rain(humidity was up those days too).

Let it also be said. I never clean my rifles to thorough, so this is my own fault I guess..... But there is nothing I see that will render this firearm useless now or my lifetime.....so I just let it ride & enjoy wink

PS- My NULA SS barrel did get rust spots too.

Hey, thanks for your honesty. I hunt hard and in some rough terrain and weather. On a hunting trip I hate like the dickens to have to wipe a rifle down every night, worrying about rust. That is about how I would do the blued guns I hunted with years ago. With the XCR if you miss a spot you don't have to be worried about a rust spot the next day or so. I have other stainless rifles, but the finish is no where as durable as the XCR's. If Remington ever decides to make a run of left handed XCR II's then I am all over it. I missed the chance to get some lefty XCR'S back in 2008 and regret it. Time will tell, but I think the XCR is one of the most weather resistant rifles out there. Not sure how the weathershield on the T/C rifles compare?

NEVER GIVE UP
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Yes.

No.

I did have my XCR's barrel cut down. It was 26" and that just ain't how I roll. So far no rust on the cut part <g>.

The fact that the bore isn't coated bears remembering, especially since the rest of the rifle is so oblivious to the weather. Might fool a guy in salty conditions.

Bore is coated

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bore is coated

Are you positive? How did you determine that?

As for cutting the barrel, the base material is stainless, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

MM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Bore is coated

Are you positive? How did you determine that?

As for cutting the barrel, the base material is stainless, so I wouldn't lose too much sleek over it.

MM

Well I owned an XCR II until a few months ago grin and about 1/2 dozen people here told me it was coated. When I initially cleaned it the bore looked like nice clean stainless to me but there was a thread about this a while ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,905
Posts18,479,395
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.