Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#6112814 01/30/12
B
BeanMan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The book just came in the mail, I know what I'm reading tonight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this about the P-47?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
BeanMan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yup, about Robert S. Johnson who flamed 28 German planes while flying the 'Bolt. I've been waiting a long time to read this one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a good biography of General Abrams, by the same name. I think it was his call sign, maybe when he served under Patton.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
greatest piston prop warplane ever made, hands down. lemme know what you think when done.

"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak arabic, love music, and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers, and warriors." ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm still clinging bitterly...how about you?
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
All 7 tons of it!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Sycamore
There was a good biography of General Abrams, by the same name. I think it was his call sign, maybe when he served under Patton.

Sycamore

That is a great book, by Lewis Sorely. "Thunderbolt" was the name of Abrams' command tank; by the time Abrams left Europe (after having led the relief of Bastogne in 1944) he was riding in "Thunderbolt VII."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
excellent video bb215, thanks!

GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Recon_Jim
greatest piston prop warplane ever made, hands down. lemme know what you think when done.

I hardly feel the Jug rises to that accolade, but it was a good plane.

Sam......

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pilots loved it. And I know my 2 uncles that flew in bombers in the ETO loved having them around. Some of the photos I have seen of the damage those Jugs could absorb and still bring their pilots back are incredible.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
EXCELLANT VIDEO,Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Recon_Jim

I hardly feel the Jug rises to that accolade, but it was a good plane.

i've seen the video interview of 1 guy who flew both the P47 and the P51 in combat... He loved both of them for different reasons...
As I recall, he described the P47 as a rock solid weapons platform which maximized a pilots chances of achieving an attack mission and returning alive. He thought the P51 to be the best flying machine of it's day, with greater agility, faster climb, and better high altitude flight qualities...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No first hand knowledge of course but I believe the agruement as to which was best P47 VS P51 is the same as the arguement as to which heavy bomber was the best B17 VS B24.

I have a cousin who flew in WWII and had two confirmed kills in the Pacific. He says the Corsiar was the best ever of course. grin

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by johnw

As I recall, he described the P47 as a rock solid weapons platform which maximized a pilots chances of achieving an attack mission and returning alive. He thought the P51 to be the best flying machine of it's day, with greater agility, faster climb, and better high altitude flight qualities...

Sums things up nicely. Of course, no one in the air or on the ground wanted to face eight of John Browning's finest creation. The P-51 had to make do with six.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P-47 vs P-51 apples & oranges in my IMO.Both great air frames but I'd side with the Mustang in any air/air most of the time..the Jug did have one advantage it could usually get out of jamb by pointing it's big heavy nose at the ground to out run most opponents if necessary.Gotta love that Hellcat and Corsair too! wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
No first hand knowledge of course but I believe the agruement as to which was best P47 VS P51 is the same as the arguement as to which heavy bomber was the best B17 VS B24.

I have a cousin who flew in WWII and had two confirmed kills in the Pacific. He says the Corsiar was the best ever of course. grin

The quote I like about B-17 vs. B-24 is one I read in a book somewhere, can't attribute the source right now, and I may be slightly butchering it: The B-24 could take you further away faster but the B-17 was more likely to bring you back in one piece.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was walking a few miles outside Duxford back in 2004, and the Fighter Collection P47 came roaring over, and proceeded to do some aerobatics. Beautiful English day, with the blue sky, clouds, and brilliant green landscape. I still remember how the sun glinted off the aluminum, and how visible the invasion stripes were. One of my favorite airplane spectator memories.

Too bad the USAAF/USAF didn't keep a few squadrons; it would have been much better than the Mustang for close air support in Korea.

Murphy was an optimist.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, the Air Force Brass cost many pilots their lives in Korea with that foolish decision. They knew the jets were coming after WWII and that the piston aircraft would get regulated to attack rather than air superiority roles. That alone should have gotten them to keep the Radial engined aircraft over the liquid cooled models. Radials were always better for attack aircraft because they were more survivable.

The p-51 was a sweet aircraft to fly, but the p-47 was far more survivable.

Mark in GA

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here is a read for the Thunderbolt pilots who virtually had face to face, air to ground combat supporting the D-Day Invasion.

These guys were largely responsible for making the German Wehrmacht ineffective. Also, ending any serious threat and deployment of the V1 program. There were a lot of Allied ground troop who loved to see those pilots and crews at work wearing the markings of the Ninth Air Force. Those in combat on the ground, knew the Ninth was making their trip to Berlin easier than it would have been.

The book below is aptly titled:

HELL HAWKS - Robert F. Dorr & Thomas D. Jones

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.