djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by W7ACT
[Linked Image]

There is a Northrop P-61 on display at the National Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Annex at Dulles airport.

Smithsonian had one at Silver Hill when I worked there in the later 60s... that was a fun A/C to climb around in...

they also had a batch of the old German A/C that was brought back for evaluation after WW 2, and after the AF was done with them, many were donated to the Smithsonian..and were stored out at Silver Hill....

which was Heaven for a high school kid, and Airplane Buff such as myself...

And many of them are on display today, including the Fieseler Storch, Dornier Do335, Horton Brothers flying wing, Heinkel He 219 Uhu (Owl) night fighter, FW 190, Messerschmitt 109, Messerschmitt 163, Messerschmitt 262 and, Bachem Viper Natter.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

The second world war brithish aircraft look like a Boulton Paul defiant without it's four machine gun turret. But not sure. Some were converted in target towing plane.
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BW
Several to chose from...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hip, Fitter A and B's.

2nd Picture:

Hips, more Fitter A & B's and at least 1 Fitter trainer and what looks like a Beagle.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Soviet litter in the 'Stan?

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last late summer I was with Fighter Pilot Dad out in the shop yard kibitzing black guns with a couple "civilians" when we all heard a funny jet (military aviation is rare) howl.
We all turned and looked, Dad and I immediately turned back to each other and said "Aggressor" while the others just went "Huh."
Dust blue camo F-5. First one I have ever seen in Montana, dunno why he was here.
Still, kind of a neat little "together" moment -- Dadster ain't getting any younger but he still has eyes.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Last late summer I was with Fighter Pilot Dad out in the shop yard kibitzing black guns with a couple "civilians" when we all heard a funny jet (military aviation is rare) howl.
We all turned and looked, Dad and I immediately turned back to each other and said "Aggressor" while the others just went "Huh."
Dust blue camo F-5. First one I have ever seen in Montana, dunno why he was here.
Still, kind of a neat little "together" moment -- Dadster ain't getting any younger but he still has eyes.

Was with the wife outside Nellis AFB one day. THEY HAVE MIG29's!! Talk about doing some real-world aggressor flying! I looked at the birds and did a double take. REAL Fulcrums!

US has Mig29 Fulcrums

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Plinker
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Was with the wife outside Nellis AFB one day. THEY HAVE MIG29's!! Talk about doing some real-world aggressor flying! I looked at the birds and did a double take. REAL Fulcrums!

US has Mig29 Fulcrums

The US acquired, tested and flew soviet fighters that were acquired from a variety of sources, including eh Israeli's, Egyptians, Indonesians and probably others. This is documented in the book "Red Eagles - America's Secret Migs" see: http://www.betterworldbooks.com/red-eagles-id-1846033780.aspx . I have a friend (retired USAF fighter pilot that knew several of the USAF Mig pilots. I only learned of his knowledge of the program when I gave him a copy of the book.

We also flew some Mig-29's from the Germans after reunification.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I suppose I hafta. Here's the Combat Sky Pig, or Pilot Sandwich...

[Linked Image]

And the three-ton dog whistle...

[Linked Image]

That odd little emblem above the forward spin strake marked the absolute very last student mission ever flown in this type aircraft. After 40 years!

[Linked Image]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Originally Posted by sactoller
Another one that my father has an affinity for...

[Linked Image]

When they pushed the throttles up to the firewall on those two unmuffled Pratt & Whitney's no one slept.

That is the beauty of it!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rocky - my father-in-law did the initial design of the Cessna 336/337 Skymaster aircraft as a consultant to Cessna (He designed virtually all of Cessna single engine planes in the time between 1948 and 1975, plus others). There are some interesting stories in this!

When he died 2 years ago, we threw out literally bookcases of design and other studies he'd done for Cessna, Beach and Boeing. He still had the initial 336 concept drawing that Cessna gave him in 1958 (the plane first flew in 1961) framed on the wall. He specified a boundary layer air intake for the 336 to cool the rear engine, but Cessna took the cheap way out and just made a circular scoop that did not cool sufficiently. He then did the detailed design for the boundary layer duct that became standard on the 337.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Neat!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

[Linked Image]

And the three-ton dog whistle...

[Linked Image]

That odd little emblem above the forward spin strake marked the absolute very last student mission ever flown in this type aircraft. After 40 years!

[Linked Image]
Rocky, that last photo really grabbed me. I was stationed at CAFB 67-71. I called them Tweety Birds when talking to friends, but never knew anyone else called them that.

Sitting in an AF field ambulance about 30 feet from an ideling T-37 for over an hour without ear protection was the beggining of my hearing loss. I was there responding to an inflight emergency. A bird had penetrated the canopy(sp) knocking out the instructor pilot. The student sucessfully landed the plane.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

[Linked Image]

Fantastic mission! I never did it like you did, but I did just enough to gain a real appreciation for the term 'fire in the cockpit.'

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice, Rocky!

The Tweety Bird insignia on that aircraft is a nice touch.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think you could probably ID this since it's already had a passing mention on this thread.
The points will be for naming the Air force that utilized it, what they called it, and in which conflict it saw most of its action.

[Linked Image]

I reckon someone'll get it pretty quickly.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Also just wanna post these 'cos......I dunno, those Eastern bloc designs just look fantastic in my eye.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aussie,
I like the looks of the newer Sukhoi birds, also- though I don't know the type of that one in your first photo. SU-27,perhaps?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 340boy
Aussie,
I like the looks of the newer Sukhoi birds, also- though I don't know the type of that one in your first photo. SU-27,perhaps?

SU-35

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Aussie,

SU-35

Thank you!

Another one of my favorite Sov birds is the MiG-31. That thing is a beast:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 340boy; 02/03/12.

James Elroy Flecker

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Aussie,

When I hear "Sukhoi" I always think of "ground nail."

[Linked Image]

Page 21 of 25 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,412
Posts18,528,173
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.