Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I own 3 7s and 3 300s. I shoot the 7s far more.

The lighter recoil is nice. Ballistics are a wash and on game performance is the same.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
BobinNH, sorry about that. The final score I mean!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me, the 7mm firing 175 gr. has a little less recoil compared to the 300 firing 180 with like stock designs.

I settled on a 338 for a number of years back after hunting/shooting a 300 win for a short stint. My own experience was after shooting a 300 with full house 180 and 200 grain loads, for the difference in recoil, might as well shoot a 338 with 225 gr loads.

The 7mm rem mag does with ease, hitting of far targets with high retained velocity/energy without knock'n you out from under your hat and a lot less chance give'n a fella a moon shape cut between the eyes from prone also..... blush

I have uses for all 3 rifles plus my .280 rem. But sure use/shoot the 7mm rem mag ALOT anymore grin

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boomwhack and others.... Slightly off topic, but do you find, as I do, that the big fast 33's hit stuff harder and put 'em down quicker than do any 7mm or 30 cal? My 340 Tyrannosaur aka 338/8mmRemMag with Barnes 225gr TTSX's running 3100fps really puts the hurt on stuff. Tends to make an Elks legs all wobbly at impact.

That said, my Brother in law put one of my 120gr TTSX handloads (3400fps!) from his 7mm Magnum into a black bear in a tree fall before last, and tht poor bear was WAY dead before he hit the ground. Bangflop and DRT on black bear is hard to do. The close range and that the bullet was probably still travelling 3300fps at impact 'might' have had something to do with that..... smile

Last edited by safariman; 02/06/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dan360
For those of you that have hunted with these cartridges, did you notice a difference in their performance on game at all?

Sometimes they run and someimes DRT depending on contact with the spine.
Same story with either caliber.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Interesting thread. For all the people that use the 7mm more, I find it curious that in the classifieds, a 7mm RM will sit while 30-06's, 300 WM, and 388's will sell all around the good old 7mm. Seen that in many stores up here as well. Personally I fall into the category that I doubt the animal will know the difference but there is no room in my safe for a 7mm.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
. . . but there is no room in my safe for a 7mm.

There is always room for one of each (300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag) in my safe. Both are very nice and accurate rifles. One is a Steyr SBS Forester and the other is a Sako AV. Hard to pick a favorite.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Interesting thread. For all the people that use the 7mm more, I find it curious that in the classifieds, a 7mm RM will sit while 30-06's, 300 WM, and 388's will sell all around the good old 7mm. Seen that in many stores up here as well. Personally I fall into the category that I doubt the animal will know the difference but there is no room in my safe for a 7mm.

The market is saturated with 7RM rifles, and it's not because they're not popular or well-liked...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=Cariboujack a 7mm RM will sit while 30-06's, 300 WM, and 388's will sell [/quote]
Larger calibers kicks more, and makes the user feel like he is trying harder, who doesn't want to try harder? (grinning).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by super T
BobinNH, sorry about that. The final score I mean!

superT don't worry. The Pats had their chances and didn't pull it over....C'est La Vie! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Have a 7 Rem Mag, 7 RUM, 300 WSM, and two 300 Win Mags...redundancy or adequate backup???

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
Have a 7 Rem Mag, 7 RUM, 300 WSM, and two 300 Win Mags...redundancy or adequate backup???

Barely adequate backup! smile

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Heck why limit yourself to one rifle,buy one of each.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
There is nothing the 300 Win can do better except bruise you or bring about a flinch quicker. Period. BTDT... If things you seek can seek you back then I suggest going up the caliber ladder more than one rung..... JMO

w

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
..redundancy or adequate backup???

Both! I see a bit of redundancy as a good thing. I mean, a guy might need a spare... smile

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Wow, I was starting think it was silly of wanting to add a 338 Win Mag or 280 Rem to my 30-06, 7 Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag. Glad I'm not the only one with deep backup. Perhaps I should just get both... laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK

Barely adequate backup! smile

Yep, I see some holes in there.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Boomwhack and others.... Slightly off topic, but do you find, as I do, that the big fast 33's hit stuff harder and put 'em down quicker than do any 7mm or 30 cal? My 340 Tyrannosaur aka 338/8mmRemMag with Barnes 225gr TTSX's running 3100fps really puts the hurt on stuff. Tends to make an Elks legs all wobbly at impact.

That said, my Brother in law put one of my 120gr TTSX handloads (3400fps!) from his 7mm Magnum into a black bear in a tree fall before last, and tht poor bear was WAY dead before he hit the ground. Bangflop and DRT on black bear is hard to do. The close range and that the bullet was probably still travelling 3300fps at impact 'might' have had something to do with that..... smile

Just thinking about that 340 tyrannasour makes my legs all wobbly.... blush eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman

The ones that have dropped right there mostly were from breaking important structural bones such as hips, yes hips... 'If you hunt elk in timber you will soon figger this out' shoulders, spines and or brain pans.

There has been few exceptions..

I had a med. sized bull elk take a 225 partition from my 338 win at 2860 fps full broadside shot at 70 yards, steam blew from both sides and not even quiver, stood there a bit and decide to stumble off to keel over 15 yards later. Did not drop, and took one hell of a lot of energy and a big bullet with no more than one broke rib on bullet entry. Not dropped but figgered I would make some kind of comparison

Wife wacked a nice fat cow a few years later with the 45-70. Around fifty yards the 350 gr. hornady round nose at 1986fps dropped her DRT. with a little kicking of one hind leg. Shot placement was darn near exact as the med bull with the .338.

Another med. sized bull took a 160 gr speer spitzer 2800fps from my .280 at 250 yards facing me head on, dropping him so fast it was like he vanished... He stood back up for a bit and my partner to the side of me says, ya gunna shoot him again?? I did shoot again but after he explained that was NOT a different bull like I thought. First Shot perfectly centered in chest above the brisket broke no bone, the bullet lost in the stomach/intestines. Second whistled threw the slats and already destroyed vitals.

A spike caught me flat footed and 20 yards in an opening, threw up the .280 fired and he was down, doing the die'n chicken. Hit him off to his right side, between the chest and shoulder ruining only one lung and... here is the kicker, busting his pelvis!!! the reason he dropped. That 160 gr. nosler partition made it threw around four feet of elk THEN busted bone. Recovered bullet was just the shank, front half sheared off from the cannilure 'factory second bullets'.

Im in belief premium bullets level the playing field from smaller bore vs. large bore.... Not to go to far off topic or hyjack the tread whistle

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boomwack

Im in belief premium bullets level the playing field from smaller bore vs. large bore.... Not to go to far off topic or hyjack the tread whistle

Agreed....been true at least since guys started shooting animals with Partitions and,a bit later,Bitterroots.

Boomwhack good post! wink

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.