Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Have seen several mentions of Dyna Bore Coat, especially from MD. Any comments, likes/dislikes?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It works. I put it in every barrel that comes into my possession before they ever see a bullet.

- extended cleaning intervals (most of my barrels go hundreds of rounds before accuracy falls off)
- easy cleaning, usually around 6-10 patches and it's totally clean, even after shooting hundreds of rounds between cleanings
- corrosion protection for the bore
- hypothetical (unless experimentation has confirmed it?) erosion protection on the throat, provided by the ceramic coating between the flame front and the steel
- the coating, once applied, is permanent and lasts the life of the barrel

Dislikes:

- Nothing major, but cleaning down to bare steel and applying DBC takes about 30 minutes of work, per barrel. Luckily you only have to do this once per barrel

I like the stuff so much that I usually bring a whole bunch of it across the border with me, so I can provide it to my fellow Canadian shooters who may want to get their hands on some.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After applying Dyna Bore Coat, all you need is Wipe Out and about 4 or 5 patches...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto � I love it.

The initial cleaning before application isn�t too bad if you use a good copper solvent, some JB bore compound and elbow grease. But better to over-do that step than slack on it since it will pay off in better results.

It may take a few firing/cleaning sessions to show the full effect, I had one .308 barrel that fouled horribly. It took about 5 cycles of shooting maybe 50-60 rounds through it, then cleaning it thoroughly before it finally started to show a real decrease in fouling.

But the other barrels coated with it showed a marked reduction in copper fouling fairly quickly and they clean up really easily.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Do you have to use JB Bore paste even if the barrel is new?

Do you think using Hoppes #9, CR-10, then using the Foul Out III system (electrochemical) to prepare a new bore is acceptable?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, JB or another non-embedding abrasive paste is an important step in removing residual impurities in any barrel, new or used. The instructions with the package and on the website are somewhat confusing and contradictory. JB's (Mule Deer) instructions were much more helpful.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You gotta get the barrel squeaky clean for best results. They have alcohol as a cleaner with the kit.

I like the product. It seems to cut down on copper fouling and guns clean quickly.

A .240 Wby that I bought used, had some carbon build up ahead of the chamber. Probably hadn't been properly broken in. I cleaned it to bare metal with solvents and JB Bore cleaner, then did the Dyna Bore Coat treatment. Copper cleans with a swipe or two with a patch and Boretech Eliminator. Carbon still shows some build up and occasionally needs JB scrubbing for a few inches ahead of the chamber. That just may be an ongoing issue with this gun. My other rifles so treated clean stem to stern without a hitch.

I wouldn't even know about the carbon if I didn't use a Hawkeye Borescope.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, a borescope tends to introduce some reality into barrel cleaning.

Dan Lilja recommends not getting ALL the carbon out of the barrel, claiming it (like DBC) tends to fill in the minor imperfections.

Since the introduction of the clear DBC I've experienced even better results, but have heard some people have tried to install it with a bronze bore-brush, probably after not getting the bore clean and greaseless. Not surprisingly, that didn't work!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My only complaint so far is I have 3 rifles I have been doing load development on, 2 blue and one stainless factory rem, and all 3 after 3 shoot/ clean sessions show the following:

Using Cu+2 the first patch comes out black like cleaning a black powder gun, and in 3 patches I see blue. It usually takes a dozen loose patches of CU+2 before all blue is gone, applied and let set 30 or more minutes before reapplication. I may try a tighter patch next cleaning session to see if it reduces patch use, but so far I have not seen the benefit of UBC. These were all using the newer clear solution in the aluminum bottles.

I have tried Sweets between CU to see if it sped up the process, to no avail. I am using a nylon holder (pull string and pierced patch)to avoid false indications from brass rod parts.

Allen

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've got a 30-378 I applied it to after I broke the barrel in. Not that it needed that much breaking in; it's a cut-rifled Krieger. Now I can run through 20 rounds (I reload) and cleaning is simply a breeze. I don't need a brush, just a jag and some chemical bore cleaner. It's a matter of 5 to 10 minutes from a mainly powder fouled barrel to a squeeky clean barrel. I can't really say if I'm getting copper, or if the bronze jag is giving me a false positive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes it takes a few cleaning/shooting cycles before the DBC really starts to show its benefits. I'm betting things start to clean up better after you shoot it some more and clean it a couple more times.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use both gun cote and bore coat on all of my guns....stainless or blue. These products really do work IF, IF you follow the directions to use. Must be CLEAN, no CLEANER then apply and it will work. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The schit is like magic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very good product. All my custom rifles get the treatment.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used the older stuff on a couple of barrels and a muzzleloader with good results. Recently I used the clear version kit that includes the exterior coating on a new muzzleloader barrel. That version was like I had used nothing at all. Rust formed all over and some pitting in the bore. Still a pain to clean. Maybe I didn't put it on correctly, may try recoating, but I don't know if the new stuff is as good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is. The steel has to be completely clean and degreased for the coatings to work properly.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The schit is like magic.

I started using it because Sean recommended it so highly (and he is as big a skeptic as anyone I know). I tried it on a couple of flintlocks. Worked so well that I started using it on my competition 1911. Then on other rifles and etc, etc...

That stuff should come in gallon jugs...

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Any experience with handguns that only shoot cast bullets?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It works there too, and in shotgun barrels.

I just had another talk with Doug Burche the other day. Apparently a few people just don't read the directions, or figure they know better than the people who actually make DBC. A couple of people have apparently tried to install it in the bore with a bronze bore brush. Didn't work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.