Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by boomtube
"The notion that you can patent an "idea" in lieu of an actual design is foreign to me. "

It appears the Patent Office disagrees with your appraisal of the situation. Ditto the courts.

Yes, and we know the government never makes a mistake.

Yeah and we ALL know that a huge corporation like Olin would NEVER [bleep] an individual out of a dime in a business deal....

Get a clue.

I have plenty of clues. One of them is that too many dimwits equate criticism of Jameson with supporting what Winchester did.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wait a minute - are you saying that a person knows his own thoughts and what he is saying better than someone else does? wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Wait a minute - are you saying that a person knows his own thoughts and what he is saying better than someone else does? wink

I would never be so bold. Especially in a "Jameson" thread. laugh

Last edited by RufusG; 02/09/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by toad
so in your world, Colt should sue everybody that ever chambered a gun in .45 Long Colt?

As I understand it, That's why so many guns in the Old west were chambered for the 44-40, 38-40, and 44S&W. Colt wouldn't allow other gun makers to chamber their 45 Colt cartridge.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also find it interesting that Winchester has a history of disagreements with gun designers and cartridge designers. IIRC, didn't Winchester try to s crew John Browning too? That's why he stopped selling them designs and went out on his own.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Not exactly so, but they refused to pay him royalties on each rifle sold. Only a fixed sum for the brevet and design. He left went to Europe, in Li�ge/Herstal Fabrique Nationale. The rest is history. Rifle was the Auto 5.

FN, JM and Remington made an agreement, Remington made it in the US of A...Winchester spent lot of time and money to come back with a design and never really succeeded.

Bean counter can, sometime, be incredible!

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What intrigues me is how so many seem to bash certain gunwriters and I have seen so many saying they don't give a damn what Boddington says and now I guess it is Jamisons turn to get the shaft on an internet forum...

Easy to do when someone can't or won't answer..I see why only a small/very small proportion of them even post on the net..They like have two choices,argue there case or just call you names and not answer.

How can anyone judge Rick without knowing everything that went down as a fact????Makes no sense other than chest thumping on a keyboard.

Jayco

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Not exactly so, but they refused to pay him royalties on each rifle sold. Only a fixed sum for the brevet and design. He left went to Europe, in Li�ge/Herstal Fabrique Nationale. The rest is history. Rifle was the Auto 5.

FN, JM and Remington made an agreement, Remington made it in the US of A...Winchester spent lot of time and money to come back with a design and never really succeeded.

Bean counter can, sometime, be incredible!

Dom

It was not just a "bean counter" who refused John Brownings demands for royalties, it was WG Bennett, who owned Winchester at the time. Even though they had made millions off of Browning's designs up to that point, the greedy bastard refused and Browning went straight to Remington. Marcelous Hartley, the Rem president had a heart attack before Browning could meet with him, so Browning sailed to Belgium to talk to FN.The rest is history.

And Winchester never had a Semi Auto Shotgun that was long lived or sold as well as the Browning A-5 since that time. Serves them right.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My experience in Civil Lawsuits is unless either Party to the Case REALLY wants to go to Trial then the two Parties will Settle.

Neither side will completely like the outcome but both Parties can live with the agreed compromise.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Jim,

I know it was Bennett who decided but it's not because you're boss that you can't be bean counter too...
In this deal Bennett was totaly absurd, unbelievely dumb!!

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boomtube
"The notion that you can patent an "idea" in lieu of an actual design is foreign to me. "

It appears the Patent Office disagrees with your appraisal of the situation. Ditto the courts.

Intellectual Property?

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What's with all the "fuss & dust" at this point in time anyway? Time has shown that the WSM line of cartridges are about as dead as a 10 gauge shot rabbit! Who really cares about the WSM's other than someone who bought one? Most aren't even made anymore!
I liked R. Jamison's writings aand articles better than most any of the other so-called gun writers and would like to see him back in print, too! I wish some of the current ones would just "go away".
Without more solid evidence and information, this sounds like a bunch of old women gabbing at a hen party about juicy gossip with no basis behind it; it's a waste of time and too much speculation.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I always liked his articles. Whatever happened between him and Winchester isn't any of my business and I don't care either. If he starts writing again, provided it is in the right magazines, I'll look forward to reading his articles.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I have no irons in this fire, no WSMs, RSAUMs, RCMs or any other similar cartridges. Don't need 'em for what I hunt.

Most all of his articles were pretty good technically, from what I recall of them, and I enjoyed his writing style (especially when writing about coyote hunting).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the WSM calibers were dead as you claim there would be little demand for the ammo. One only needs to look at the offerings of major ammo manufactures (other than Winchester) to know there must be a lot of people using WSM cartridges. For example, in their 2012 catalog Federal offers 24 different cartridges for these three calibers: .270 WSM, 7mm WSM, and .300 WSM. That's twice as many cartridges as they offer in RUM and Weatherby Mag calibers combined.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I always liked his articles. Whatever happened between him and Winchester isn't any of my business and I don't care either. If he starts writing again, provided it is in the right magazines, I'll look forward to reading his articles.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I have no irons in this fire, no WSMs, RSAUMs, RCMs or any other similar cartridges. Don't need 'em for what I hunt.

Most all of his articles were pretty good technically, from what I recall of them, and I enjoyed his writing style (especially when writing about coyote hunting).

+1

I don't believe that the shooting community benefits from the ostracism.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 75 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,521
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.