Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ADP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mods feel free to move this...

I've dealt with a lot of good people on here and wouldn't hesitate to send an item first with past individuals or even take a check from them.

I sold a Case XX knife a while back to a forum member here who sent a check for $50. The check was returned a few days later for insufficient funds + a $12 charge to me by my bank. I contacted the member several times, spoke on the phone, and took him at his word. I understand hardship or even a mistake with banking, heck we are all human.

The check was cashed on 1/24, today is Feb. 17, and I still haven't received payment. His bank confirmed there was money in his account to cover the cost but they couldn't take any action.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt yet again but this is starting to sound like a deadbeat.

If you don't have the money to pay for an item, don't say that you will buy it, without first working something out with the seller or letting them know the full situation.

Last edited by LANDMAN4389; 02/17/12.
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sorry to Hear, Landman. I always look for the good in people. Hope the guy makes good for you.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't identify the deadbeat, why mention it at all? Don't get me wrong, as we're on your side here.... just air his ass out!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Request payment for what you're selling in the form of a MO. Pay for what you buy using a MO.

Pretty simple.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It is my assumption that you present the check again in a case like this. It should be paid uynless the issuer stops payment or the funds are insufficient.

Of course, you are gambling another 12 dollars.(I would look for another bank, BTW)

HM

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You can present the check again for payment. $12 is the cheapest charge I've ever seen for a return check. Most charge $25. You could try to verify funds at his bank before depositing, but they probably won't tell you much.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
comeon...lets hear his name...dang at least keep the rest of us from being cheated...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Easiest thing to do is only accept MO's or Cashiers Ck's, unless you know the member pretty well.

There are quite a few people I've taken personal ck's from because I've known them on the forum for years. Sometimes I even ship their stuff before the check arrives. Usually I never wait for those ck's to clear before shipping. It really isn't hard to know when you're dealing with someone whose word is their bond.

But with really expensive stuff and/or someone I don't know well, it's wisest to get a Postal Money Order/Cashiers Ck...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you contact the DA in his home town, you'll get all your money plus fee's.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You stated you spoke to him on the phone before. Have you tried calling him again? Have you e-mailed him? Is he not replying to you?

If you are making the efforts to contact him and he is avoiding you, it is well past due that you call him out and let all of us know who this deadbeat is.

Of course you want to be fair, but there comes a time giving someone the benefit of the doubt has to stop.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No guns. No peace. No safety.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jlboykin
You can present the check again for payment. $12 is the cheapest charge I've ever seen for a return check. Most charge $25. You could try to verify funds at his bank before depositing, but they probably won't tell you much.

Most charge $25 to the writer of the check, not the person trying to cash it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i have no problem with a check i just ask the buyer if its ok if i hold off till it clears, as a buyer on the other end of deals like that on the net im completely ok with it,,,,in the end hes happy and ill make a freind, nothing wrong with being cautious in the first steps with anyone!!!! if theyre sincere im sure they would be same way!! sorry ya got stung....... enough time has passed to move beyond the woops........ name em so others know!

start em young!!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by jlboykin

Most charge $25 to the writer of the check, not the person trying to cash it.

That isn't correct.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So if someone writes me a check and I deposit it....and it bounces, my bank charges me?

That's bullshitz..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

ADP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep -- in my case it was $12.

I've sent the guy another pm and will give him one more chance, if that doesn't work, I'll gladly post his name.

I even sent a copy of the bounced check back to him, and the bill for the $12.

We'll see what happens, his bank confirmed there was enough money to cover the cost in his account now but they can do nothing. He was charged a fee due to his bounced check, they did tell me that much.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Did you deposit it again?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If the check is drawn on a bank that you can walk into and cash do that instead of cashing it at your bank.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
It has happened to me in the past, on both ends. Mistakes happen. I've always more than covered the other persons expense if my fault. Some of us have jointly held accounts.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you take personal checks, you take a chance. That being said.....I've taken several personal checks for small items lately. Haven't had a problem and have shipped the same day as I received the check. If it's a large-ticket item and I take a personal check....I wait a week for it to clear and then send the item.

And yes.......the bank charges the depositor when a check is bad. My bank charges $10. But the bad check writer has it much worse as far as fees.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was 22, I deposited a personal check from a "friend" and then proceded to write about four checks in Louisville, KY at the Winn-Dixie, electric bill, gas station, etc. The "friends" check bounced, causing all of mine to bounce.

I made it right in 24 hours.

Almost a month is unexcusable.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12savage, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,685
Posts18,475,071
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.