-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It looks like our resident ambassador "Brick Top" has reared his ugly head, don't let his good looks fool you, he's not very nice.

I posted the link to Surplus Rifle Forum, and specifically a serial number/date match up of the Argentine rifles. Since it's a "N" prefix it was a long rifle built in the last year of production by Lowe in 1896. I've owned several of those rifles over the last years, they're well built and collectable in their original state. An all matching good bluing example will sell for mid 2's to mid 3's. A sporterized version for what someone might want to give, usually $100 to $200. Part of the difficulty in selling Argentines to non collectors is the caliber, the diameter of the projectile being .312 or so makes the reloading options tougher.

Also you might want to check out your rifle and make sure it hasn't been rechambered to 30-06, something that was done in the 50's to try and make them more desirable to American tastes. Unfortunately the bullet travels down the bore barely making contact with the rifling, if at all, and are not very accurate to say the least. If you take the bolt out and hold the rifle muzzle down and a 30-06 cartridge drops in you no longer have a 7.65 X 53 Belgian chambered rifle. If you do have a original chambered rifle, I know that Hornady and Privi Partisan both make new boxer primed ammo for it.

If you want to learn about milsurp rifles the "Surplus Rifle Forum" is the place to go. Now you have to check you "tude" at the door as they run a tight ship and any smart ass postings get you kicked off. Brick Top, although correct fairly often would be gone the first posting he "shared".

I never said I was an expert, but I don't go to new sites and crap all over the people who have been there for years and try to force my for sale items down their throats. You correctly identified your rifle as an 1891 Argentine, your attempts to identify it as collectible is what rubs folks the wrong way.

Unless you went to Kindergarten in Cleveland Ohio in the mid 60's I doubt we were in the same class.

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by morecowbell
If you want to learn about milsurp rifles the "Surplus Rifle Forum" is the place to go. Now you have to check you "tude" at the door as they run a tight ship and any smart ass postings get you kicked off. Brick Top, although correct fairly often would be gone the first posting he "shared".
You certainly put me in my place. I wouldn't want to piss off a bunch of socially inept internet nerds with lots of time on their hands.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard of 1909 Argentines being rechambered to .30-06,
but never a 1891. Is it even possible?

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by gemelli5
The model is from 1891 for sure but,since I'm only a newbie here and I don't know nothing (you are only knowledgeable when you hit the 3.000.000 posts,no matter what they're for.....???),I can't be sure the rifle wasn't made after 1898.
It is in too good shape to be that old and Loewe made these rifle until they were replaced by the 1909 model.....But then again whay do I know...I only have 10 posts.
Originally Posted by yosam
you do not even need C+R for a Loewe, they are pre 1898 , as per BATF

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33457

What he was trying to tell you is the last Ludwig Lowe 1891 was built in 1896, so if you could let someone help you instead of spout back your ignorance for a minute you might learn something.

Also before you post that you are going to ship FedEx overnight you might look at what that will cost you. Be ready to see a C-note wave bye-bye.

Had your rifle been built post 1898, but was still over 50 years old, it would in fact be no longer C&R eligible since it's been "sporterized" into it's no longer original military configuration.

I'll bet you didn't make too many friends in kindergarten.

That is correct. No Loewe made firearms after 1896. Production was resumed by DWM. And also correct about the C&R status.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bricktop
You certainly put me in my place. I wouldn't want to piss off a bunch of socially inept internet nerds with lots of time on their hands.

Says the guy with over 4,000 posts, most of which he's bending someone over, while hiding behind his Rastafarian disguise. "Socially inept" ,I can't believe you are labeling anyone with that, please show us how to be more sociable like you?

Unbelievable!

Thor Heyerdahl
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Says the guy with over 4,000 posts, most of which he's bending someone over, while hiding behind his Rastafarian disguise. "Socially inept" ,I can't believe you are labeling anyone with that, please show us how to be more sociable like you?

Unbelievable!
I am anti-social, not socially inept.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop,

Don't judge "morecowbell" by his Avatar He may look like "Marvin Milktoast", but you can't judge a book by it's cover.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
Bricktop,

Don't judge "morecowbell" by his Avatar He may look like "Marvin Milktoast", but you can't judge a book by it's cover.
His avatar was actually my capstone adviser in the CoE. I'm just eating his ass for GP.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

I can tell you in two weeks no one in the US decided to place an opening bid for your rifle at $368.99. Who knows where the reserve is.

Then I can tell you after you re-listed for $339.98 you still have not gotten a bid.

You have been following this rifle for all this time?!?!
Are you one of the GB watchers?LOL!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It looks like our resident ambassador "Brick Top" has reared his ugly head, don't let his good looks fool you, he's not very nice.

I posted the link to Surplus Rifle Forum, and specifically a serial number/date match up of the Argentine rifles. Since it's a "N" prefix it was a long rifle built in the last year of production by Lowe in 1896. I've owned several of those rifles over the last years, they're well built and collectable in their original state. An all matching good bluing example will sell for mid 2's to mid 3's. A sporterized version for what someone might want to give, usually $100 to $200. Part of the difficulty in selling Argentines to non collectors is the caliber, the diameter of the projectile being .312 or so makes the reloading options tougher.

Also you might want to check out your rifle and make sure it hasn't been rechambered to 30-06, something that was done in the 50's to try and make them more desirable to American tastes. Unfortunately the bullet travels down the bore barely making contact with the rifling, if at all, and are not very accurate to say the least. If you take the bolt out and hold the rifle muzzle down and a 30-06 cartridge drops in you no longer have a 7.65 X 53 Belgian chambered rifle. If you do have a original chambered rifle, I know that Hornady and Privi Partisan both make new boxer primed ammo for it.

I never said I was an expert, but I don't go to new sites and crap all over the people who have been there for years and try to force my for sale items down their throats. You correctly identified your rifle as an 1891 Argentine, your attempts to identify it as collectible is what rubs folks the wrong way.

Unless you went to Kindergarten in Cleveland Ohio in the mid 60's I doubt we were in the same class.

Fascinating..... I'm afraid Brick Top is right : You need to get out more.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Funny, I have thought for a long time that "Bricktop" and "MoreCowBell" were the same person in different persona. Could I be wrong?

"Smile, God loves you!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jerry/AK
Funny, I have thought for a long time that "Bricktop" and "MoreCowBell" were the same person in different persona. Could I be wrong?

You really know how to hurt a guy.

Thor Heyerdahl
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK,lets try this one more time: I'm not a dealer,I'm not trying to make money here nor am I twisting your arms to make you click and look so,not to piss anybody off I took any link I could off this post,I deleted "collectable" from the description and the FedEx option is now 2 day service for $35
(I'll worry about how much it costs me to ship it that way).
I did not feel I had to but if it makes some fellow shooters sleep better...... Why not?

I like big font,since this option is available I'd like to use it.
Sporterized Argentine Mauser.Caliber is 7.65x53.It has 23" barrel. Receiver is marked "Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891. Manufactura Loewe Berlin." It also has clasped hands stamped on all major components. The action and barrel are in great shape,bore is bright, the wood is good except for hair crack at the tip of the forend and the usual minor dents due to normal usage.
Has weaver scope bases already attached.
Email with any questions.C&R OK.

I got it shipped to me as C&R,it's logged in my book so,regardless of all laws or personal opinion and what not,it needs to be logged off to the buyer somehow,no matter what.
Ships USPS Priority within Michigan for $25
(no FFL required I.D. a must,yes WE can legally do that in MI)
or Fedex 2 day $35 to FFL/C&R to lower 48.
Personal check payment item ships when check clears.
[Linked Image]
So clean you wouldn't believe it's an antique..... Great shooter too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Also posted elsewhere.

Last edited by gemelli5; 02/20/12.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ikesdad
Originally Posted by gemelli5
The model is from 1891 for sure but,since I'm only a newbie here and I don't know nothing (you are only knowledgeable when you hit the 3.000.000 posts,no matter what they're for.....???),I can't be sure the rifle wasn't made after 1898.
It is in too good shape to be that old and Loewe made these rifle until they were replaced by the 1909 model.....But then again whay do I know...I only have 10 posts.
Originally Posted by yosam
you do not even need C+R for a Loewe, they are pre 1898 , as per BATF

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33457

What he was trying to tell you is the last Ludwig Lowe 1891 was built in 1896, so if you could let someone help you instead of spout back your ignorance for a minute you might learn something.

Also before you post that you are going to ship FedEx overnight you might look at what that will cost you. Be ready to see a C-note wave bye-bye.

Had your rifle been built post 1898, but was still over 50 years old, it would in fact be no longer C&R eligible since it's been "sporterized" into it's no longer original military configuration.

I'll bet you didn't make too many friends in kindergarten.

That is correct. No Loewe made firearms after 1896. Production was resumed by DWM. And also correct about the C&R status.

you are wrong about it not C&R eligible. grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK,lets try this one more time:asked price's $340
I'm not a dealer,I'm not trying to make money here nor am I twisting your arms to make you click and look so,not to piss anybody off I took any link I could off this post (by now if you've been looking at this you know it's on Gunbroker too),I deleted "collectable" from the description and the FedEx option is now 2 day service for $35
(I'll worry about how much it costs me to ship it that way).
I did not feel I had to but if it makes some fellow shooters sleep better...... Why not? :shrugs:

I like big font,since this option is available I'd like to use it.
Sporterized Argentine Mauser.Caliber is 7.65x53.It has 23" barrel. Receiver is marked "Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891. Manufactura Loewe Berlin." It also has clasped hands stamped on all major components. The action and barrel are in great shape,bore is bright, the wood is good except for hair crack at the tip of the forend and the usual minor dents due to normal usage.
Has weaver scope bases already attached.
Email with any questions.C&R OK.

I got it shipped to me as C&R,it's logged in my book so,regardless of all laws or personal opinion and what not,it needs to be logged off to the buyer somehow,no matter what.
Ships USPS Priority within Michigan for $25
(no FFL required I.D. a must,yes WE can legally do that in MI)
or Fedex 2 day $35 to FFL/C&R to lower 48.
Personal check payment item ships when check clears.
[Linked Image]
So clean you wouldn't believe it's an antique..... Great shooter too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Also posted elsewhere.

Last edited by gemelli5; 02/20/12.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Morecowbell,
I must apologize. I have now been educated by someone close to you. Now I know there is no relationship between you and Bricktop. You are esteemed. smile
Jerry/AK

"Smile, God loves you!"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gemelli5,
What is the current asking price?
Jerry/AK

"Smile, God loves you!"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
$340

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BTT

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Btt Mauser

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.