Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
However there is another and perhaps better reason for hoarding cash: because of high unemployment there is no "pent up" demand for product so why produce just to fill warehouses?

There is excess capacity and excess cash. What is needed is a sparkplug to ignite demand.

You must be a disbeliever in Reagan's trickle-down, supply-side economics. Because that, in a nutshell, is exactly where the true conservative belief lies. A bottom up "sparkplug" is liberal philosophy pure and simple.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This video is a bit long, and hard to follow at times but worth the effort if you want to see how seriously the world's monetary system has been 'played'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gb-WrCehlg

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

What a bunch or whiners and crybabies. I'm hoarding FRNs.
Good luck with that. I recommend you lock your entire nest egg into a good US Government bond fund.

I would never put my entire nest egg into any one investment. Remember the fools who did that with some guy named Bernie?

I do have a position in a Government bond fund.
Shift more of your nest egg into it.

PS The above recommendation is specifically for Spano, and not intended for anyone else here at the Fire.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

What a bunch or whiners and crybabies. I'm hoarding FRNs.
Good luck with that. I recommend you lock your entire nest egg into a good US Government bond fund.

I would never put my entire nest egg into any one investment. Remember the fools who did that with some guy named Bernie?

I do have a position in a Government bond fund.
Shift more of your nest egg into it.

PS The above recommendation is specifically for Spano, and not intended for anyone else here at the Fire.

I will take that under advisement. What percentage would you recommend?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BrentD
However there is another and perhaps better reason for hoarding cash: because of high unemployment there is no "pent up" demand for product so why produce just to fill warehouses?

There is excess capacity and excess cash. What is needed is a sparkplug to ignite demand.

You must be a disbeliever in Reagan's trickle-down, supply-side economics. Because that, in a nutshell, is exactly where the true conservative belief lies. A bottom up "sparkplug" is liberal philosophy pure and simple.

I think a decent "spark" might come from the election.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by pal
...In an inflationary environment a ladder of short term CDs is a good bet.

Gold is better.

I do have a small position in gold. At present I hold no CDs. I don't believe CDs are a good play in this low interest/low inflation environment.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I know is we are selling a lot of ammo. Nothing outragous, just box by box. I think folks are getting nervous and are preparing for the worst. It's not so much that people can pinpoint the cause as something just doesn't feel "right".

I don't work the grocery side so I don't see what's going out of there. Another indicator might be the type of clothing that are being bought. Clothes that quickley go out of style or something more traditional. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Short question,..

If America doesn't pull out of its spending/debt situation, what's the prognosis?

By that, I mean, what will happen, in your opinion?

In the short term , I see inflation coming back big time.
It's already starting now, but will pick up speed thru 2012.
Do not put any $ into CD's

In an inflationary environment a ladder of short term CDs is a good bet.

Yes sir...lock up your $ in those half of one percent CD's
good bet.

LOL laugh

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

As much as you possibly can. I see good things for anything pegged on the future purchasing power of US Federal Reserve Notes.

PS The above recommendation is exclusively for Spano. No other Fire member should take heed of it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pal
...In an inflationary environment a ladder of short term CDs is a good bet.

Gold is better.

I do have a small position in gold. At present I hold no CDs. I don't believe CDs are a good play in this low interest/low inflation environment.
Dump your gold. Use the money raised to increase your position in US bond funds.

PS See PS above.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Like the post Vietnam war era which we didn't tax for, we had runaway HIGH INFLATION brought on by the fed bank quantitative easing (printing money), which brought on runaway high interest.

Look for the same coming to your neighborhood soon.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Short question,..

If America doesn't pull out of its spending/debt situation, what's the prognosis?

By that, I mean, what will happen, in your opinion?

In the short term , I see inflation coming back big time.
It's already starting now, but will pick up speed thru 2012.
Do not put any $ into CD's

In an inflationary environment a ladder of short term CDs is a good bet.

Yes sir...lock up your $ in those half of one percent CD's
good bet.

LOL laugh

I said in "an inflationary environment", not now. I hold no CDs at present.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton
My guess is not apocalyptic, but just kind of depressing.

The whole world will be affected, and the US perhaps less so than other countries. That's simply because the US is reasonably capable of sustaining itself.

The communications infrastructure will survive. Actual travel and transportation will be severely curtailed.

Thankfully, government will shrink because there won't be money to pay for it. The military will shrink by 1/3, Social Security retirement and Medicare will happen at 70 rather than 65. People who plan on retiring from civil service jobs will get an unpleasant surprise. Few people will really retire.

Gardening will become a lot more popular. Food costs will take up much more of the typical person's budget. Few homes will be built, because there won't be demand for them. The cost of heating a home will grow substantially. People will learn to wear sweaters and keep the house at 65 degrees in the winter.

Expensive medical treatments will be cost prohibitive. If what's wrong with you can't be fixed with inexpensive medicine and procedures, you're likely to have to live with it or perhaps die of it.

We'll have 10-20 years of stagnation, fewer possessions, and less leisure time. But we won't starve and the country won't collapse. People will learn to be more self-reliant, and the extended family will re-emerge as the dominant form of the family.

Practical skills like carpentry will be in more demand. Basically, if you want something, you'll be able to get it if you build it yourself.

I don't think that multiple firearms will be a particularly valuable asset. The lever action 30-30 was designed as the all-around meat getter, family protector, and livestock protector. Something simple like that, plus maybe a pump shotgun will be useful. But target shooting for recreation will probably be too expensive to enjoy very much.

Within living memory the "standard" home was essentially two rooms: A bedroom for mom and dad, a general living/kitchen area, and a loft for the kids to sleep in. We lived through that. It can be done again if we have to. And it's not all that unpleasant in a lot of ways.

My thoughts as well not an end of the world scenario but a major drop in the standard of living for most, multi generation households, high unemployment, low paying subistence jobs and expensive food will be the norm.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

As much as you possibly can. I see good things for anything pegged on the future purchasing power of US Federal Reserve Notes.

PS The above recommendation is exclusively for Spano. No other Fire member should take heed of it.

I believe in diversification and would not invest more than four or five percent of my investment portfolio in any one vehicle.

This is a highly recommended strategy for any serious investor.

www.paracay.com

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Most posting here understand this idea...for those who may be confused, watch this short video:

http://dont-tread-on.me/?p=13678

And another Keiser Report...Gold buyers may be terrorist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hVKX7ZUBjc

Last edited by DW12; 02/21/12.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

If you believe that stuff, and I know many here do, we cannot have an intelligent conversation. The Fed "privately owned"?

www.paracay.com

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
You defeatist need to step back and take a long hard look at what you're saying.Far as I'm concerned we are still the greatest nation under God and by damn we didn't get here by whining about the bad times.So suck it up think positive and before you know it things will turn around again,how do I know this?.. because history repeats itself.So cheer up it ain't as bad as you think we will continue! wink

yep. i agree. quit your doomsday whining and get to work. sheesh.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
My guess is not apocalyptic, but just kind of depressing.

The whole world will be affected, and the US perhaps less so than other countries. That's simply because the US is reasonably capable of sustaining itself.

The communications infrastructure will survive. Actual travel and transportation will be severely curtailed.

Thankfully, government will shrink because there won't be money to pay for it. The military will shrink by 1/3, Social Security retirement and Medicare will happen at 70 rather than 65. People who plan on retiring from civil service jobs will get an unpleasant surprise. Few people will really retire.

Gardening will become a lot more popular. Food costs will take up much more of the typical person's budget. Few homes will be built, because there won't be demand for them. The cost of heating a home will grow substantially. People will learn to wear sweaters and keep the house at 65 degrees in the winter.

Expensive medical treatments will be cost prohibitive. If what's wrong with you can't be fixed with inexpensive medicine and procedures, you're likely to have to live with it or perhaps die of it.

We'll have 10-20 years of stagnation, fewer possessions, and less leisure time. But we won't starve and the country won't collapse. People will learn to be more self-reliant, and the extended family will re-emerge as the dominant form of the family.

Practical skills like carpentry will be in more demand. Basically, if you want something, you'll be able to get it if you build it yourself.

I don't think that multiple firearms will be a particularly valuable asset. The lever action 30-30 was designed as the all-around meat getter, family protector, and livestock protector. Something simple like that, plus maybe a pump shotgun will be useful. But target shooting for recreation will probably be too expensive to enjoy very much.

Within living memory the "standard" home was essentially two rooms: A bedroom for mom and dad, a general living/kitchen area, and a loft for the kids to sleep in. We lived through that. It can be done again if we have to. And it's not all that unpleasant in a lot of ways.

I think this is the most realistic scenario of any I've seen. To think we, or any country, can turn this thing around is fantasy. The U,S, will have to repudiate the debt or default (same thing?). I read Mel Tappan's opinions back in the late 70's and he theorized that the Fed could possibly issue a new currency which would make any cash on hand essentially worthless unless there was a grace period where you could exchange old for new at a ratio not favorable to the citizenry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WoodsStalker
I am afraid you are right crosshair. Just remember to "make them pay" when they come. Don't store everything in one spot. Spread it out in at lease four or more locations. STAY READY

The "They" you speak of are like soldiers, expendable assets. Those in power do not consider the value of the lives expended. They are as meaningless as the masses they oppress.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

If you believe that stuff, and I know many here do, we cannot have an intelligent conversation. The Fed "privately owned"?

Origins and Ownership of the 'fed'...
Moderately long article:
http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1095269452.php

Chart of ownership:
http://www.save-a-patriot.org/files/view/whofed.html

Is this all true? I don't know. The principals sited neither admit or deny any of the information.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.