Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

I agree, a scope on a double rifle is sacrilege.

And what is this based on?

Looks?

Or making it more useful for less than perfect eyesight?

How many DR's do you or have you owned?

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes; based on looks, tradition and the fact that you don't need a telescopic sight on a gun designed to shoot at the relatively close ranges doubles are meant for.

How many doubles? None. But if I did it wouldn't have a scope but no need to fret excessively because you're welcome to have one on yours. You can even paint your car with a paintbrush if you like. It's all personal preference.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What's the matter with having the rifle become more than a short range rifle?

Eyesight!

Slap a scope on them and you'd be surprised how good they are!

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, the original notion was a matched pair of VC's, a 300H&H and a 450/400NE 3". The scope would perhaps have been on the 300.But, they won't do it. Apparently the 300H&H could have extraction problems. Corporate structure thinking I guess. They chamber their hammer gun in 7mag and 300Win mag.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If this is your first one, I'd suggest getting a Chapuis 9.3X74R from Dale Nygaard. http://www.heirloomarmes.com/)(It's almost up to a 375 Flanged for power and a great all around cartridge. They do make other claibers too.
Chapuis makes a fine rifle. Nygaard is cheaper and as fast or faster for delivery. Chapuis will regulate the rifle with a QD swing off scope mount. Others don't. A local buddy here shot a moose at 286yds. Lazered too. These aren't short range rifles.
Mine wasn't my first DR but it's one of my best!

Edit; I just looked and they also build the 300H&H as well as the 375H&H..

Last edited by AkMike1; 03/03/12.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I think I will check out Krieghoff, they are a bit more than a VC, but, they do regulate their guns at up to 100yds, and offer the same options pretty much. See how that turns out.I thought about the 9.3x74r, but, I have the 450/400 and a 300H&H and a 338Wm, so, I think I will check out a 7x65R. It would likely make a nice option to my 7-08. The Classic has some interesting features and nice lines. Other option might be a Searcy, that is gettin' up there though on the base price gun. Then after this one is done, I will get into something like a 450-400 or a 375Flanged, likely the 450-400 as I have all the stuff for it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They may regualte them at 100 yds but the regulation shouldnt be different at 50 yds either.
FYI I really like my Searcy 450.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
$3500? $4000? Good lord, I don't know where you been looking but the last time I checked Searcy charged $595 to build in the mount at the time you ordered the rifle and he supplies the Talley QR rings that fit. I had this done on my 450 NE and the design is clean and well hidden. Never added a scope to this rifle yet but talked to Butch at SCI about possible regulation issues once the scope goes on and he told me in his experience it should shoot the same.

AkMike already mentioned Dale Nygaard and his advice is sound. NO ONE beats Dale's prices or ordering terms or his service. Chapuis UGEX rifles come with built in scope base cuts. I think the ring system is like $300 or so. Chapuis will also regulate your rifle with a scope on at 100 yards if you like. I better any builder would if you asked them to when you ordered the rifle.

Then you have the Heym PH rifles. They are built with a cut in the rail (for no extra fee) that allows you to add a red dot sight without altering anything.

Don't pay any attention to some of these guys trying to talk you out of mounting a scope. It might not look as classic but it can add another demension to your "short range" rifle.

I am currently waiting for my Chapuis UGEX in Blaser 30R to be delivered. Ballistics about 100 fps less than a .300 Win Mag. I have every intention to put a scope or red dot sight on the rifle within a year or so.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
VC wants 2094.00 & mounts to install and sight in without the scope.
S&B 1-6z42 is 2000.00, Z6 is about the same. In actual fact the VC XA model comes out to about 13,5 or so set up that way.

I looked into 30Blaser as an alternative to the 300H&H, I get the impression it is something in the vein of a takeoff of the flanged 300H&H??

By the way---what is a 375RVC altogether, something different or a fancy name for the 375flanged?

Not a lot of info around on either one.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any input on these?

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/DblRifle.html

Price seems more reasonable if they shoot well.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimone
Any input on these?

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/DblRifle.html

Price seems more reasonable if they shoot well.

No experience with them, but from the pictures on the web site, the front sight on the DR looks a little out of proportion. JMHO.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then you have the Heym PH rifles. They are built with a cut in the rail (for no extra fee) that allows you to add a red dot sight without altering anything.

I noticed the 'cut' on one of the rifles on Heym's web site. Looks more like and opening for a turn-in dovetail. Any additional info on this 'cut'.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The English made a few nice SxS doubles for use with scopes but very few.
As many have posted here, they somehow look out of place on heavy doubles
At least on SxS doubles - but they work fine on O&U's if you can come to grips with them. Plus they are easier and cheaper to mount on an O&U

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Kind of like a supermodel in a Moo moo dress, they don't look good until you take it off ...

Last edited by colorado; 03/04/12.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Clark guns are a Huhlu SG conversion. The SG's don't have a stellar rep but Mr Cark does.
IMO at that price point there are other options. Chapuis being my first choice.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The O/U's are definitely cheaper than the SXS's,but. I can't quite wrap my mind aeound them. That pesky bug says it has to be a SXS.
I have a couple of CZ shotguns, apparently made by Huglu, no issues with them so far, but neither one has 200rds on them yet.
The Heym 88B is a nice unit, but it's getting up there, see they seem to be in the 17 & up range, I sort of set my boundary at 15 and am trying to stay under the 25 range for the two of them.
Apparently Searcy started out on building his on the Browning/SKB SXS's, he seems to have done well by them. I see there is an -06 at G&H (?) in the 8-9 range. Looks decent.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 209jones

I looked into 30Blaser as an alternative to the 300H&H, I get the impression it is something in the vein of a takeoff of the flanged 300H&H??

Bascially your correct. It is supposed to drive a 180 grain bullet 2,800-2,850. But much of the speed depends on the individual rifle regulation. You can buy new brass at Huntingtons or Dale Nygaard sells once fired.

If you want to keep your cost under 25K for two rifles that is pretty easy. Buy a Chapuis UGEX, add the ring system and a nice scope, $6K tops. Then pick a bigger rifle from either the same or different builder. Easy to stay within $15K for the larger one for everything if you go with another Chapuis or Searcy or Verney Carron.

Visit the double rifle section on the AR forum for better advice.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WiFowler

I noticed the 'cut' on one of the rifles on Heym's web site. Looks more like and opening for a turn-in dovetail. Any additional info on this 'cut'.

Don't know what to say other than this "cut" allows you to mount a Doctor red dot sight. Clamps on, pretty easy and sturdy. Email Heym if you still have questions. Chris will answer you right away.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 209jones

I have a couple of CZ shotguns, apparently made by Huglu, no issues with them so far, but neither one has 200rds on them yet.

BUT the SG's aren't operating at rifle pressure either.

Apparently Searcy started out on building his on the Browning/SKB SXS's, he seems to have done well by them.

Searcy built a few on the browning actions. But most and certainly all the Searcys for many years have been on his own actions. Not SG conversions. Look at the watertable of a rifle VS a SG. There is a big difference.
AND last but not laest.. Is Searcy warrenty.. Simply the best in the business!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by safariman
ICK! And Why?

Scoping a double rifle is like painting your Ferrari with a spray can. Some do it, but it never looks right. Ruins the balance and handling fo a double gun as well. If you want a scoped DGR, have a magazine (Bolt action) rifle built.

My opinion, anyway.

Agree. If your eyesight isn't good enough to shoot open sights, why use a double rifle? Either get real close and use the double with open sights or buy a bolt action rifle and scope it.

+3

Gunner

+4 - I think doubles look ridiculous with scopes or red dots.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.