Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
OP Offline
A
I am getting so much great stuff here. I think this project might actually amount to something.

I think the next steps for me are to start compiling some spreadsheets with the data I'm getting.

Regarding my collection/bibliography, here's where I stand:

I have most G&As he wrote in, will work on compiling those.
I have most Handloaders/Rifles, will work on compiling those. Need Successful Hunters!

I am working on getting a complete collection of DGJs, because I think there are probably few he hasn't written for.

Still have nothing on Gray's sporting journals.

I found on archive.org where the IBHA (International Blackpowder Hunting Assoc) listed the articles and authors in each issue, so I know what he wrote, but have no text.

If you have any Seyfried germane DGJs, Blackpowder Hunters, or Successful Hunters you would share (give me, sell to me or let me borrow, I would pay a deposit) I would very much appreciate it. (PM me or reply here).

Thanks so much to everyone who has written or PM'd me... means a lot to me and hopefully I will have something to share with you soon.

GB1

A
OP Offline
A
I came across this, which is very surreal to me. I am a big fan of Ross, as you can probably tell, but I never once really considered what his voice might sound like.

I found this, which is part of the concerted Remington rebuttal to the CNBC smear, where RS chats about the model 700. Very strange to hear his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngAE7QYXXis

I am a fan of an writer named Victor Niederhoffer, and actually got to attend an event at his NYC apartment a year or two ago. His voice was VERY different than I expected, and I sort of feel the same to hear the voice of Ross come to life in this video.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
AlabamaGene,
Ross also had an article about Sporting Clays shooting in Cigar Afficionado----it REALLY shocked me when I stumbled across that one.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlabamaGene
I am getting so much great stuff here. I think this project might actually amount to something.

Gene,

You can read Ross's article in the cigar magazine online HERE

Might want to capture that article to your hard disk in case it does not stay there.

On another topic, I guess I am getting old and forgetful: I do not recall reading anything about Ross's early life other than he was PH somewhere in Africa for a while.

His writing makes me think he was educated in the UK or one of the former colonies -- South Africa perhaps? Anyway, from his writing, it was certainly somewhere where his parents got their money's worth!

Anybody know his educational background?

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a great fan of Ross's writing and have been for many years. Sadly, I've not been one to retain periodicals. While some good writers are very informative, which is a very good thing, some of Ross's stuff seems to be inspiring in a way. Many of his articles would often inspire me to buy things that you need to seek out, a quest of sorts. I think most of his really interesting stuff was for dyed in the wool gun loonies. I suspect that is where his conflict with mass market publications lies. If you want to write about stuff you can't just go out and buy, you have little value to advertisers and publishers that rely on the income from such.

I really enjoyed some of his stuff in Successful Hunter, the bear hunt story with the obscure/antique rifle was a very good one.

Last edited by kciH; 03/17/12.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read only one piece that Mr Seyfried wrote, and I've met him only twice, very briefly.

The man flat knows how to write exceptionally well, and by all accounts is an exceptionally accomplished hunter and shooter, with a rich knowledge of all sorts of guns. I have no insight into his veracity, but I suspect that he's basically a man of pristine principle.

The first time I encountered him, he came at me very rudely. The other time, he was as nice as he could be.

All in all, I figure that he's a gifted writer and a gun man to be admired � whatever may be his easily overlooked personal liabilities.

I've known a number of prominent people like that.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jpb

His writing makes me think he was educated in the UK or one of the former colonies -- South Africa perhaps? Anyway, from his writing, it was certainly somewhere where his parents got their money's worth!

John

Don't know where he went to school, but he grew up on a ranch in eastern Colorado, hunting waterfowl, deer and pronghorns. During his formative years, he met a retired elephant hunter from east Africa and eventually did go to Africa where he was a professional hunter for many years. He guided hunters on his family ranch in Colorado, and later, on his Elksong Ranch. He also competed in Practical Pistol Competition and won the National Championship in the early 1980s.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by gaperry59
I remember reading a '93 article in Hunting magazine wherein Ross shot a mule deer buck in the Breaks with a Dakota Model 10 in 7mm Brenneke. He described the location as being near the place where Lewis & Clark had a run-in with a grizzly bear. I remember him describing having to shoot off a cliff at nearly a straight-down angle and overshooting the buck on his first shot. I also remember him describing another hunter that was with him shooting a .375 with 300-grain bullets and being unable to connect with his deer. But I don't remember him saying anything about guiding other hunters. Perhaps I am referring to a different article, but I remember keeping that one for a long time because I thought Dakota Model 10's were cool.
Greg Perry

That very article is what started me hunting the South side of the Breaks for Mule (and Whitetail) Deer. My first hunt was in 1995. We even took a boat, as in that article Ross was with a guide in a boat motoring up and down the Missouri. The boat Ross used was about a 20' jet -- which is what you need on this stretch of Fort Peck. Our little 13 footer nearly got swamped in one of many storms that Fall.

We hunted in pretty much the same spot as Ross had and, as I remember, passed up many smaller 4 point Mulies and some decent 8-10 point Whitetail. Next time I went back (maybe 3-4 years later) the hunting was not nearly as good. A rancher that we got to know there blamed the article(s) by Ross for all the hunters that flooded the area.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by AlabamaGene

Gene,

You can read Ross's article in the cigar magazine online HERE

Might want to capture that article to your hard disk in case it does not stay there.

On another topic, I guess I am getting old and forgetful: I do not recall reading anything about Ross's early life other than he was PH somewhere in Africa for a while.

John

i believe i read once where he was a rancher near roggen, colorado.

in a may 1986 guns and ammo article on "coyote hunting", if i recall correctly, he wrote in that piece that fur hunting for yotes paid a lot of his college tuition bills.

don't know where or when he went to college, but in 1972 when i started hunting yotes, $5-10 bucks was about it, whereas in 1975 they would fetch $25.00, and by 1978 they could fetch many times that...

in photos, i noted he used a remington m 700 bdl 22-250 with the 1962-1968 checkering pattern on it, and either a 4-12 or 6-18 redfield on deck. remington didn't offer the 22-250 until (i believe) 1967, so that rifle, if bought new, would have been bought in 1967-1968, so that might put a "when" in context for college--maybe about 1970 onwards?

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jpb
...His writing makes me think he was educated in the UK or one of the former colonies -- South Africa perhaps? Anyway, from his writing, it was certainly somewhere where his parents got their money's worth!

John

....you're close
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
......Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, Co. Pretty sure that it was some form a agriculture degree, but not sure about that.

Last edited by gmoats; 03/17/12.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by mudhen
... He also competed in Practical Pistol Competition and won the National Championship in the early 1980s.

His National Championship was in 1978, his world championship was 1981.

Here's a pic that I took of him at the '80 Nationals where I tried to be creative and pan him with a slow shutter speed while he was running in an assault course (this was during his lucky-shirt stage):
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I've read only one piece that Mr Seyfried wrote, and I've met him only twice, very briefly.

The man flat knows how to write exceptionally well, and by all accounts is an exceptionally accomplished hunter and shooter, with a rich knowledge of all sorts of guns. I have no insight into his veracity, but I suspect that he's basically a man of pristine principle.

The first time I encountered him, he came at me very rudely. The other time, he was as nice as he could be.

All in all, I figure that he's a gifted writer and a gun man to be admired � whatever may be his easily overlooked personal liabilities.

I've known a number of prominent people like that.

i dont quite get why some seem to think their favorite writers have to be fault free......everyone has faults and issues, some more than others....alot of times it has lil bearing on how good of a writer they are......

alot of ppl LOVE Peter H. Capsticks books, im one of them, yet there is a fair amount of evidence that alot of his stories written in the first person were actually stories that happened to others that he had heard through the grape vine....does that diminish his ability with the written word? nope just means you take his first person accounts with a grain of salt and enjoy the story....

Ross is a hell of a writer but i dont doubt that he isnt perfect.....

Last edited by rattler; 03/17/12.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting that you should mention Capstick in a post about Seyfried!

My cartridge book had just been published when Seyfried learned, at the SHOT Show, who I was. He approached me and assailed me rather viciously for not having listed the .475 OKH as the ".470 Capstick."

(My friend Charlie O'Neil had come-up with the .475 OKH when Capstick [born in 1940] was in his teens or younger, and I'd handled and examined both Charlie's .475 OKH rifle and cartridge as early as 1956 � long years before Capstick later "originated" it as the ".470 Capstick.")

Turned-out that Seyfried hadn't even seen my book at that time. Evidently, somebody had told him that I'd listed the cartridge as the .475 OKH rather than the ".470 Capstick."

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, I'd watched Charlie seat a loaded .30-06 cartridge as the "bullet" in a .475 OKH case � and fire it as a stunt. Charlie also showed me some .45 ACP cases that he'd poured full of lead, for "emergency" .475 bullets when he'd run-out of Barnes .475 bullets.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
need to pick up your book one of these days, had forgotten how much i like to read about wildcats till i ran across a first edition of P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders last weekend while my wife was looking through an antique shop.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://huntingtons.com

Click on "Books & Videos" in the green left-hand column and scroll down until the blue thing shows-up.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always loved Seyfried.

I need a copy of your book Ken. I cannot believe I have gone this long without one.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say that your fondness for Seyfried's writings is well based, well deserved.

"Good enough" isn't.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recall RS mentioning in one of his articles that he'd been college-trained to be an engineer of some sort. He mentioned it in his article "20 Years With the .44 Magnum," while describing how he was waiting for some guys to show up at an oil field where he was doing some kind of engineering, and killed time by sitting on the hood of his truck shooting prairie dogs with his .44. The guys then showed up, and he won a bet by nailing a pd at 150 yards with his .44. He certainly writes like an engineer at times.

Greg Perry

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
great pic gmoats.

Greg Perry

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (160user, 257Bob, 300jimmy, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 56 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,420
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.