Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My first AR15 was a RRA A2 Tasc rifle. It was nice and I never had any trouble with it. It wasn't Mil-Spec. I sold it because I wanted one with a A4 flat top so I could use the removable carry handle and some type of optic. Last month I bought a Stag complete lower and upper with the Plus Package. This one is Mil-Spec. I went with the Plus Package because I'm keeping this one for good. So I wanted to get all the parts and QC checks that go with a Mil-Spec AR15. If I was only going to use it at the range and/or hunting, Mil-Spec wouldn't matter.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
tell us about yourself uphiker, are you someone that we should give a chit what you think? You anyone special?
Nope, just a normal guy with a few guns and no surrealistic fantasies. Like Clint Smith said in his column a few months ago when he was talking about the overweight, out of shape, tacticool people who sometimes came to his center- "be who you are, not who you imagine you are".

Overweight, out of shape, and tacticool with a cheap Colt.

does it look like I imagine I am someone else uphiker?

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
That scope doesn't look mil-spec. It'll probably fail on you.
PS-I never had a man post a picture of himself on the internet for me before. I think that I'll be scarred for life. laugh

Last edited by UPhiker; 03/19/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
why all the fuss between you two over a buffer tube. If if fails just replace it. If you are going to war then carry a spare.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175
why all the fuss between you two over a buffer tube. If if fails just replace it. If you are going to war then carry a spare.
No need for spare if going to war, plenty of guns laying around for the taking in war if yours croaks...
I always said if its a SHTF war type thing that happens, my 22 will net me whatever I need.. guns, ammo etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not sure how it got off on buffer tubes. My point was on construction regards testing, material, etc and in general, I think I may have a commercial buffer tube on one of my rifles.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In my humble opinion, to many people get hung up on Milspec, either your gun will run, (and has proven it will run) or it won't. To carry on that my gun will last longer, kill more people, and never fail during a SHTF situation, is ridiculous at best. If my primary weapon fails during a SHTF situation, I will simply acquire another weapon, and shoot it, till it fails or runs out of ammo. I guess what I'm saying is, you have NO idea when your gun could fail!

Last edited by jstall; 03/19/12.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just like quality stuff but this is getting a bit rediculous.

If someone is ok with a cheap gun, then that's fine but I don't see too many people comparing a Remington plastic stock to a McMilian... It is what it is.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jstall
In my humble opinion, to many people get hung up on Milspec, either your gun will run, (and has proven it will run) or it won't.

Common sense isn't allowed here!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like quality stuff too. What I'm saying is our "quality" stuff could malfunction at the worst time. If that happens we will just have to deal with it. That McMillan stock could get run over by the jeep on safari, and the Remington plastic stock didn't. Now who has the more functional gun. If "Joe Smith's" Bushmaster/dpms/oly has gone bang every time he pulled the trigger, then he's probably got a good one. Your AR either works or it doesn't, if it doesn't, get it fixed, or replaced with one that does.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am not sure how it got off on buffer tubes. My point was on construction regards testing, material, etc and in general, I think I may have a commercial buffer tube on one of my rifles.

I did have the end of a no-name buffer tube I ordered out of shotgun news many years ago just snap right off on the second or third shot. My first clue should have been the fact that the anodizing on it was nearly purple.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Truth of the matter is, the military needs to change its Milspec, which is over 40 yrs. old. There are much better materials available today, than there were 40 yrs. ago. Does anyone think that 4150 is the best steel available for a bbl. today? It's not, but it's Milspec.

Last edited by jstall; 03/19/12.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I vote we equip our Seal teams with Oly built M-4's, I mean if it runs it runs why spend that extra money on all that testing and specifying steel types, chrome lining etc.

The minimum standards for any M4-pattern carbine should be:
1) 4150 (or better) barrel steel
2) HPT and MPI barrel
3) Chrome-lined chamber and bore
4) 5.56 chamber
5) Properly staked key on an M16 carrier
6) Shot peened, HPT and MPI bolt
7) Proper extractor spring/insert
8) "Milspec" (or 1.14" OD) receiver extension

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think the Seals are equipped even better than that. I'm talking about average shooters, that are constantly told their guns are no good because one or more parts aren't milspec. If it breaks, replace the part that broke and continue on.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In the beginning of this thread, it was asked which should the op get, commercial or mil spec for a Colt. I said mil spec cause it was better and what Colt used. Not a single poster here can prove that to be wrong.

The problem I see is a standard is set but companies who cut corners don't meet the standard yet I'm told I'm at fault for explaining there is a difference.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No you have the correct answer. He has a Colt, which comes with a milspec tube and should be replaced with the same. I was mainly talking about some of the folks on AR-15 that constantly chastise people about their choice of AR. If it works and is 100% reliable, in my opinion, it's a good one. If a part breaks, replace, or upgrade if necessary and go back to shooting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
always buy the best you can afford in parachutes, life vests, and firearms.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ok. So I need to buy two complete adjustable butstocks with tube and springs. What do I buy? To say this thread has confused the [bleep] out of me is an understatement.

O

Too old to suffer fools
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What's confusing? You can buy a Mil Spec LMT or VLTOR that is as good as you're gonna get or you can buy a cheap commercial tube and take your chances...

I'll bet the price difference is less than $20. you decide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy whatever you think will work for you. Some people choose to spend a few more dollars to insure top quality parts. Some dont. Its up to the end user. All my receiver extensions are BCM. They are noticeably better quality than any of the commercial extensions I have replaced.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.