Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am thinking I want to build a gun for long range shooting and yet still be able to carry it for calling yotes and general shooting fun. I don't want it to weigh like a bench gun so I am thinking in the 7-8 lb range. What twist would a guy use to shoot the 6mm 87's and the 105's? Would you stay with an 8 twist or slow it down just a bit? The reason I ask is that I am thinking about starting my first build and I think I want to do a 6mm of some sort. Leaning towards the 243ai, but just in the beginning stages so I haven't decided that yet. I don't know anything about putting a rifle together yet; except that I want to build one. Any help would be appreciated.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1:8" will do everything you want. If I was going to set up a 6mm starting from scratch, hands down it'd be a 1:8, 243 A.I. or 6XC. I really think that 24" is enough tube to get you anywhere you want to go. 105Amax would be a great one to design around.

Have fun! sounds like it should be a blast of a rig.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking a 700 ADL action would be pretty slick. I like the looks of the blind mag. Who would you go with for a barrel? I have a couple small cal rifles with Pac-Nors on them and they work very good but didn't know who else I should be looking at.

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a blind mag on mine... Never yearned for anything else.

I have no experience with custom 6mm barrels, I'll let someone take it from there.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd select the smith I wanted to use and go with the barrel maker he prefers. Those guys know the turn around time and the makers who best stand behind their products.

IMHO,

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Which leads me to my next question of who would you all recommend. I have no idea of who the good gunsmiths are. Any suggestions??

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RenoH414
I am thinking I want to build a gun for long range shooting and yet still be able to carry it for calling yotes and general shooting fun. I don't want it to weigh like a bench gun so I am thinking in the 7-8 lb range. What twist would a guy use to shoot the 6mm 87's and the 105's? Would you stay with an 8 twist or slow it down just a bit? The reason I ask is that I am thinking about starting my first build and I think I want to do a 6mm of some sort. Leaning towards the 243ai, but just in the beginning stages so I haven't decided that yet. I don't know anything about putting a rifle together yet; except that I want to build one. Any help would be appreciated.

Reno

OK..

First build and long range but 7-8lbs is pressing the edge a bit...
First build and not sure what to do but you wanna go AI..not advised...

This rifles weight is 10.25 lbs ( without bi-pod) that's about as light as I'd like to go and poke at targets beyond 450 ish.

[Linked Image]

IF your gonna shoot the 87's-105's go 8.5 twist.

just for S&G's why 6mm and not 6.5mm ... ;-)

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I build some 6x47 Lapuas. With a 8 twist and 105 Berger VLD'S the velocity is 3105 fps. I have shot mine at steel targets to 1146 yards. Thats hard to beat!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Which leads me to my next question of who would you all recommend. I have no idea of who the good gunsmiths are. Any suggestions??

My smith is Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle and Tool in NC. Ray is about to do my 6th project with him. He's into precision, long range rifles, but builds all kind of stuff, like DG rifles for Africa. He's a retired Operating Room RN and a master machinist and craftsman. He has patents on surgical instruments he made over the years. Interesting guy to know and a pleasure to work with.

Check him out on line.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by blagg
I build some 6x47 Lapuas. With a 8 twist and 105 Berger VLD'S the velocity is 3105 fps. I have shot mine at steel targets to 1146 yards. Thats hard to beat!

Talk to me about how your FF or re-size that brass?

This is the 6 X47L or 6mm Hot as they call it no?

What length barrel and why not the 8.5?

This cartridge has always got me piqued I just never pulled the trigger on an order.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ric let's hear about that 6.5! Looks great!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Coca, why would you suggest that I not go with an ai?

I am looking for something that will fill a void between my 223 and my 25-06 sendero. I have heavy guns if I want something to sit at the bench with. I am wanting to make this more of a walking gun with the ability to shoot distance sometimes. A lighter 243ai seems to fit this niche for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jump up to 6.5 100gr 3700fps 77gr 4000+?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Reno...look into Dana English from FL and the mountain rifle he builds. Not sure of your price range but he just built me a 260 rem that is the most accurate rifle I own. PERIOD... 7lbs rigged

www.englishrifles.com/rifles.html

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Reno,

I suppose I was thinking that since you are new to builds you are new to the gamut of things. ie: Reloading, Fire Forming etc.

If you are new to the reloading end of things and whatnot.. fire forming combined with load work ups and reloading in general is typically not something to get your feet wet with.

While 6mm are the rage in many venues the 6.5's tend to stretch things more efficiently. Now in my opinion if you are staying at let say 500 yards or less. 105's will work wonderfully on deer sizedish game or smaller. No need to AI unless you want the cool factor.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Ric let's hear about that 6.5! Looks great!

Rogers Rifle Shops latest 6.5-06 hammer ;-)

He took the typical stuff and made a tack driver outta it...

per his usual.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am thinking I want to build a gun for long range shooting and yet still be able to carry it for calling yotes. What twist would a guy use to shoot the 6mm 87's and the 105's? Would you stay with an 8 twist or slow it down just a bit? The reason I ask is that I am thinking about starting my first build and I think I want to do a 6mm of some sort.Reno

6MM BR, 8 twist, Lilja #4, or Kreiger #4.5(can get it stainless), and enjoy the long barrel life, accuracy, and killing capability of a 6MM with a 105 grin.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If'in goin that route...6 dasher would be a better choice... jus' sayin'

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess I am thinking of going with the 243ai because I have always wanted something of PO's and this seems like a good fit for me. I have been reloading for 15 years so while there is much I do not know I do have some experience with FF and load development. Have owned and loaded for the 17AH, 17 Mach IV, 20 TAC, 17-223 and all the way up to my 338 RUM and the Whelen. Like I said there are many things I do not know but I believe I can handle it. Before anyone says anything I know the 17AH is an Ackley but that did not scratch the itch, if you know what I mean.

I would not be trying deer sized game at 500+ with this rifle. If I need to get out there I will get out the 338 RUM for the long shots. 500 yards would be stretching what I am comfortable with at this point anyway. I want something that I can practice with and I just like the 6mm. I have the 17, 20, 22, 25, 27, 338, & 35 calibers covered so this just makes sense to me I guess. I know the 6.5's are darn good and I'm not saying I don't want one I just want the 6mm more for now.

There are just so many choices I am glad I have the people on the fire to help me figure out what to do. I would say "what I need" but need has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is just more of a want at this point.

Would you guys go with a tuned Remington action or I have thought about getting a Stiller also? I want to keep the 700 footprint and I believe Stiller is the exact same footprint as a 700 but I could be way off base.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stiller's foot print is the same as the 700. Good action I've had several of them.

A good smith and a remmy will do the same thing. If the smith knows how to pick actions.. ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.