Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mink
I'll third what Ingwe said, and toss the breeder of our females in the ring. Not in MI, but for a fee can be flown anywhere in the USA, we have done it twice.

This is Sascha (Penner/Pinta pairing)
[Linked Image]

DOOOD! I LIKE that Black Sable!! I would abscond with her in a skinny minute! grin

Don't know about that, but I would certainly be willing to breed her with another Black Sable in about a year or so (she is one now)....keep me in mind.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive seen long coats on working dogs, but I try to avoid them too..a regular GSD sheds the equivalent of a dog a day... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ranger1
Why does that shepard have long hair in its ears (BrentD's pic)? There sure seems to be a great deal of variation in the various bloodlines.

Keeps the bugs out. Really.

But I can't say that is "why" exactly.

As ingwe mentions - she is a Chek shepherd. Quite different than a german German shepherd and even more different than an american German shepherd. There is a lot of blood line variation, but I'm not up on all the details. ingwe probably can fill in better.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always wanted a shepard. Had several family members/friends that have had them and I liked every one of them. I just don't have room/time for a pet dog with 2 hunting dogs and another on the way. Maybe one day down the road I guess.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Don't know about that, but I would certainly be willing to breed her with another Black Sable in about a year or so (she is one now)....keep me in mind.

I appreciate the heads up...but this is the expectant mother of my next dog..

[Linked Image]

Now that youve seen the father, ya think there might be a black sable in the bunch? grin

No matter really...the dog gets picked on temperament/performance...

But I do SO have a soft spot for those black faced dogs! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There is considerable variation in the bloodlines. Difference between working lines, show lines, etc... That dog in Brent's pic is obviously breed for show.

Obviously, you are not well up on these guys. Among her sisters and brothers are some working for the RMCP in Canada and the Israeli military. Show dogs - not a chance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Indeed, both of my females had German sires and Czech dams.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
There is considerable variation in the bloodlines. Difference between working lines, show lines, etc... That dog in Brent's pic is obviously breed for show.

Obviously, you are not well up on these guys. Among her sisters and brothers are some working for the RMCP in Canada and the Israeli military. Show dogs - not a chance.

Obviously, I bow down to your considerable knowledge. I must know nothing of the breed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Why is that? One thing I don't like is a black faced dog. Had only one - a flat coated. Great dog, but the black face was hard to see and as a result, she had no facial expressions to speak of and was very hard to read. Apparently, this is common in black faced dogs - facial signalling is very reduced.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Got a question for you though, do you work at coming across as an azzhat, or is it just a natural reaction when you don't agree with someone even in a friendly conversation? Inquiring minds and all that.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
True dat on facial signaling...but like most dog people, I dont have a valid reason for some likes/dislikes grin

I am sure however that I like black faces from dealing with a lot of Malinois, which i love, and think are gorgeous..like this girl...

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, YOU are the one that said, "obviously breed for show".

"Obviously" you did not know what you were talking about. Take it however you want. The facts are the facts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Why is that? One thing I don't like is a black faced dog. Had only one - a flat coated. Great dog, but the black face was hard to see and as a result, she had no facial expressions to speak of and was very hard to read. Apparently, this is common in black faced dogs - facial signalling is very reduced.

Obviously, you do not know much where black faced GSD's are concerned. Our Black-faced female has the most facial expressions of the five we own. No facial expressions- not a chance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Obviously" you did not know what you were talking about. Take it however you want. The facts are the facts.

Back at you DB. Next time I will make sure to qualify it with a IMO. You should try it sometime, folks might take you seriously.

Last edited by Mink; 03/22/12.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

My female's face is as black as they come and I have no problem reading her. There is plenty of facial expression....except at night at the end of a 30' tracking lead.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Back at you DB.

I think I'll stick to agreeing with ingwe. I suspect he knows a whole more about the breed than you do, and more than me too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back to the OP. While I am "obviously" not an expert. I do know what I have dealt with in the 6 GSD's I have had. As Ingwe put it, I know of no breeder that will allow you to socialize with their pups. A Backyard Breeder of course will, but it is a crap shoot there as to what you will get. I learned the hard way on that one.

I am a firm believer in these dogs being socialized constantly. Expose them to small children, teenagers, black and white people. They are large dogs, and you do not want them to be unpredictable in any situation. Confidence is KEY in this breed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Back at you DB.

I think I'll stick to agreeing with ingwe. I suspect he knows a whole more about the breed than you do, and more than me too.

On that, we can both agree.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ranger1
Why does that shepard have long hair in its ears (BrentD's pic)? There sure seems to be a great deal of variation in the various bloodlines.

Because there is a long coat variation that comes about at times from color breeding for black is what I was informed of by a breeder of working GSD's in the early 1980's.
Although a long coat GSD is undesirable characteristic the handful I have seen were used as guard dogs in the commercial area primarily because most people did not want such a dog and they were still very good for the work.
Two of the baddest professionally trained mofo guard dogs I have ever come across was a long coat GSD and a Giant Shnauzer a particular guard dog business owner owned around 1983 I had the pleasure of knowing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True dat on facial signaling...but like most dog people, I dont have a valid reason for some likes/dislikes grin

I am sure however that I like black faces from dealing with a lot of Malinois, which i love, and think are gorgeous..like this girl...

[Linked Image]

The Belgians are nice dogs, just don't trip my trigger like a black sable though. My cousin has a couple of them. Don't they tend to being about 10 lbs lighter on average than the GSD's?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,940
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.