Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by NH K9
I enjoy decoying for other people's mals and handling sheps.

IMHO, I have the best of both worlds.....a 63ish lb. black female GSD. Speed, intelligence, and noneo of the bullchit male hang-ups. Sometimes, she's not as independent as I'm used to. That's a minor issue, though, and not a bad habit alone in the dark.

George

George hit the nail on the head...Mals are faster and IME hit harder, but GSDs engage their brains a bit more fully, and a lighter GSD like his dog hits harder and faster than the big scary dogs grin I am frankly hoping for the "best of both worlds" that he mentions in my next dog...
As for the black faces...I never had any trouble reading them either, but I know of a surety the black dogs are always the last to be adopted at any shelter for that reason...
And as for breeders screening applicants for their pups and placing them in the appropriate homes...for working dogs ( not pets mind you..) I would consider it part and parcel of being a "Responsible" breeder. Even my favorite Lab breeder places the pups....

Anyway...this has been a pretty good thread, with some gorgeous dogs pictured...

( I still wanna go steal Sammo's dog...can't believe that one was a stray...)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It took about 2 days to teach Bowser not to screw around or enter the corrals/pens if there is a new calf. He actually looks to see before following us in, haven't had to get on him hardly at all lately.
I have noticed though that he really takes an ass chewin' seriously, almost takes it too personally. The little 'hound' doesn't give a damn but Bowser really seems to care.

We've toned down any disipline bigtime, Bowser just doesn't require a heavy hand when it comes to teaching and we certainly don't want to dampen his 'spirit'.

Maybe I'll take a pic today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
It took about 2 days to teach Bowser not to screw around or enter the corrals/pens if there is a new calf. He actually looks to see before following us in, haven't had to get on him hardly at all lately.
I have noticed though that he really takes an ass chewin' seriously, almost takes it too personally. The little 'hound' doesn't give a damn but Bowser really seems to care.

We've toned down any disipline bigtime, Bowser just doesn't require a heavy hand when it comes to teaching and we certainly don't want to dampen his 'spirit'.

Maybe I'll take a pic today.

I have found the (good) GSD's will learn just about anything that you care to take the time to teach them..........their learning capacity seems endless.

MM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 1B
My perosnal opinion.

I strongly dislike the slouched back line that many US bred show GSPs demonstrate! It is purposely bred into the line for show ring looks which gives them a mincing gate. They also have a blander temperament that makes the AKC-ed lines about useless as K-9 candidates. Most police/security forces go to Europe for mor expensive dogs because the AKC lines fail the training so often. The European dogs also are erect postured.

1B
I agree regarding the low slung hind quarters of the American lines. The AKC has a way of ruining any breed they get their hands on.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info. It explains why one of my brothers shepherds has the low slung hind quarters and the border patrol dog is for lack of a better word "LEVEL"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love dogs !!!! My current dog is a Lab named Casey. Before him I had
a German Shepherd named Ranger. Ranger was a great dog and I still miss him.
Both big dogs but night and day different. Ranger was much smarter
and needed a lot more play time. I never could leave Ranger all alone
for more than 5 or 6 hours. He would get bored and get into something. shocked
Thinking back on it... it was kinda funny... but it was not so funny at the time.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 1B
My perosnal opinion.

I strongly dislike the slouched back line that many US bred show GSPs demonstrate! It is purposely bred into the line for show ring looks which gives them a mincing gate. They also have a blander temperament that makes the AKC-ed lines about useless as K-9 candidates. Most police/security forces go to Europe for mor expensive dogs because the AKC lines fail the training so often. The European dogs also are erect postured.

1B
I agree regarding the low slung hind quarters of the American lines. The AKC has a way of ruining any breed they get their hands on.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info. It explains why one of my brothers shepherds has the low slung hind quarters and the border patrol dog is for lack of a better word "LEVEL"
Here's one of my childhood Shepherds (We got her as a pup in '67, and she died in '80). No low slung hindquarters on her. She was a great dog and friend. Lots of happy memories. I think she's munching a bone there.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got 2, and won't ever not have one. I got a male 5 or 6 years ago, not papered, but his sire was owned by a buddy's dad in NM and he was a dog killing sob (dogs that came onto his property). My buddy had a pup from him, and he was an awesome dog. Good natured, big, built really well, so when another litter from the same parents came up for grabs I took one. He's been awesome. Had some issues for a bit, but had him castrated and that fixed it. I got him purposefully for protection, to watch the wife and kids while I was gone, both physically and simply the intimidation factor. But if somebody comes to visit, I don't have to worry he's going to eat somebody's kid. [bleep] that, I've no time for that kind of BS. He's a companion and a first line of defence/alert. He's about 95 lbs, and you would not want to make a quick move around my wife if I'm not there. Hell, he'd defend her against me. That being said, if I didn't trust him around my kids he'd already be dead. The only thing with that bugger is he's a cat killing fool. He's got a hell of a prey drive, and very very focused when he's in alert mode.

I got a smaller female from a "breeder" in Great Falls. Whiskey Tango outfit out of a trailer, but she's one hell of a dog. She's my son's dog. Sleeps under his bed, constant companion outside. Gunshots don't bother her, she'll hang out with us all day shooting, or anything. Certainly no Old World $10,000 dogs, and I wouldn't present them as such. If I'd the money I'd love one of those dark Czech dogs, but for me I've done ok with these mutts.

MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BrentD
What ingwe said. Esp. the part about training.

Not all shepherds are created equal, or even close to equal.

These make the grade

http://www.sapphireshepherds.com/

[Linked Image]

where would one go about finding one of those czech dogs like in the picture? I think i want your dog.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

where would one go about finding one of those czech dogs like in the picture? I think i want your dog.
Here

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good notes about the sloping backlines...that seems to be an AKC confirmation thing....you will notice, as many of you have, that the working dogs have level back lines....likewise the usual cream color with black saddle seen on confirmation dogs is pretty rare in working dogs. Since they are selected and bred for work, color etc. is not a consideration.....which is why you see alot of working dogs in black or sable...

I'd still like to abscond with some of the dogs Ive seen on this thread! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My male is very square, and has had no issues getting around. The female is just a smaller version. Every vet I've had him to has commented on how well he's built, as well as some pretty knoweledgable GSD people. Too bad he needed cut.

I'm with you Ingwe, there are some awesome dogs on here.

MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Well, google up Sapphire Shepherds in Montana and then give them a call. But do your homework.

ingwe will probably know other places that I do not. My wife did the homework on this one.

She is a wonderful dog.

About the trend of sloped backs in American Shepherds, it is interesting to look at the multiple Rin Tin Tins. There is a hint of that trend there. Though perhaps I imagine it

http://www.rintintin.co/com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=53

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the long haired sable but lacquer blacks are my favorite.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe wrote:
The other caveat I would mention about GSDs...but the OP might have this covered by saying his daughter is a "dog" person...GSDs are dogs for dog people....even the 'pet' variety are a whole 'nuther level of dog from the average breed. You need to "understand" them, make sure your body language and other communicative skills are in place, and be prepared for them to test you every step of the way...they like well defined boundaries but they like to probe those boundaries themselves

I can't agree enough. My Dad grew up with the breed. I've had one, and I'll probably get another. Mine was smart enough to:

1) Use the TV remote
2) Figure out when his favorite shows were on and turn them on himself.
3) Watch B&W Film Noir movies and enjoy the heck out of them. His other favorites were Lassy (the old ones with June Lockhart, Emergency Room Vet, and Miracle Pets
4) Understand compound sentences, and complex syntax. "If you take your bone outside, I'll give you another one. " He would go get the old bone from another room, and come back in and ask ask for the new one.
5) He learned out to work a deadbolt lock, ring a doorbell and a fence latch on his own.
6) "I'm thinking of a bagel this morning." to KYHillChick elicited a response of having him run to the door and wait for me to finish dressing and let him out. He knew we were out of bagels and anticipated me driving out to get some.

[Linked Image]

He died in 2006. There's a ride I have to take every spring, listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert-- it was the road he and I used to take to town on a regular basis. It was on that road one day during turkey season that I found I could call out "Cows on the left!" or "Horses on the right," and he'd understand and respond accordingly. He barked at cows-- they were food. He whined at horses-- they were potential playmates.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am not in your area so not sure there are any organizations out there, but I would like to suggest you check into a GSD rescue.
I adopted a 2 yr old from a shelter out here in MT, and scored a good one. GSD's can be a hand full if not properly handled, but they are, in my opinion, one of the best, most loyal, breeds you can acquire. Get a good one and you will have a treasured lifelong companion. It is all I will ever own.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Still just a big puppy.
He's good around everything now, cats, calves, horses, just gotta keep an eye on him because he likes to hide under the pickup if a cow gets after him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That dog's a beauty, Sam.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Where can one get good training information? Any DVD courses out there worth a darn?

My wife's 12 week old gsd is at puppy obiedence class as I type.

What to do after the basics are done is the type of info that I am looking for. Thanks

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No hard and fast rules here Dan...it all depends on what you want the dog to become...but as someone mentioned, socialization is the BIG key..get the dog out an exposed to EVERYTHING...kids, cats, crowds,vets offices you name it...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Still just a big puppy.

[Linked Image]

Sammo, I know you don't know it or realize it, but that is a damn valuable dog!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,876
Posts18,518,127
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.