Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I am thinking of getting something lighter to carry in the summer...something along the lines of Kel-Tec P11. From what it looks like on the website they are 20oz which is plenty light compared to my SA 1911-A1. I know the P11 is a 9MM but I think 9MM is a good/better defense load compared to a .380.

So has anyone had any problems with P11 handguns and did the company take care of it? Does it shoot reliability? Do P11 wear well in front pockets or best to have a IWB holster?

I am going to a local gunshow come April and thinking of buyine one.

TIA

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry one daily and find it quite comfortable in a Remora holster. There are 12 round magazines for it too and S&W 59 series mags also work in it.

It replaced my J frame five shooter and rides just about the same. A bit bulky for pocket carry for me.

http://www.remoraholsters.com/

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a P32 and a P11 keltec... Both have been reliable and not had any problems.
I would suggest the PF9 which is a single stack 9mm over the double stack P11. Easier to conceal imho. The P11 is awful chunky in a pocket unless its a cargo type pocket.
Take a look over at KTOG... google kel tec owners group. Ton of info over there on them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a PF9 and though it's not perfect, and certainly not lovely, it is decidedly handy! No problems so far. I do not recommend a torture test with it as it will be torture! You're hand may break before the gun does. Actually, it's not that bad. I bought the magazine extension for it, so I have 8 rounds in the mag. It makes a better grip and does not adversely affect concealability.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find the wider frame on the P11 more comfortable to shoot in my arthritic hands, the PF9 makes me flinch after a shot or two.

The shop took in a used one yesterday that I just may have to buy as a spare!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I tried out the KelTec P11 and the Kahr K9 in a head-to-head comparo about 10 years ago and found them both to be excellent pistols. I ended up buying both, and carried one or the other as much BUG for a couple of years. I ended up selling/trading both of them off. The KelTec went to an older gentleman I know who wanted a carry pistol but was on a fixed income. He still carries it, last time I talked to him, and he DOES shoot it regularly.

I would not turn down a P11 if offered one again. It's an excellent pistol for the money.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carry my Kahr P9 in the summer in the Super Tuck design holster. The Kel-Tec is a good pistol and should serve you well. Kahr has better trigger and finish but you pay extra for this .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got good service out of a hard chromed P11. It shot well and I cannot recall a malfunction. It is very cost effective for such a reliable firearm, and you won't take too bad of a beating if you decide to get rid of it in favor of something else.. It really isn�t a pocket gun though. I bought a kydex OWB holster at a gun show and it concealed OK, but it should disappear in an IWB. The Remora that TLEE mentioned is a great holster, but I never tried it with a KelTec.

As for negatives, I prefer guns with a firing pin block in case the gun gets dropped. Also, I used it a lot as a BUG in an ankle holster. In snowy weather, if the barrel got moisture in it, the inside of the barrel would begin to rust out overnight. I prefer stainless for its weather resistance qualities, and, unless something has changed recently, they don�t offer it in stainless.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My advice is to find both the PF9 and the P11 in stock and handle them. Personally I find the P11 a bit wide for my liking.

Good for a giggle - Obama's reelection plea - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4nvhAZ0vr0

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry a Glock 26 in a Remora holster or a S&W 642 in a DeSantis pocket holster

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger has a P9 knock off now too, the LC9. I guess Taurus does as with with the 709.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rmart30
I have a P32 and a P11 keltec... Both have been reliable and not had any problems.
I would suggest the PF9 which is a single stack 9mm over the double stack P11. Easier to conceal imho. The P11 is awful chunky in a pocket unless its a cargo type pocket.
Take a look over at KTOG... google kel tec owners group. Ton of info over there on them.

My thoughts as well. I have had both, and a boatload of snubbie revolvers. The PF-9 has a better trigger than any of them and is far easier to conceal. I had to sell my PF-9 to pay for a car repiar bill but wish I still had it. Tremendous every day carry piece, one of the best ever despite its low price.

My vote would be the PF-9.

PS I also post at the Kel Tec Owners Froup under this same cybername and profile. It is the only other social website or chat room that I belong to besides this one. I have been carrying and using Kel Tec's stuff since thier first kind of clunky 9mm's 20 or so years ago and have always found them to be uber reliable and now they are almost always the smallest, thinnest and lightest handguns in any caliber they build a gun for. check out and TRY to obtain if you can someday thier PMR30 13 ounce 30 shot 22WMR semi Auto pistol. Just TOO danged much fun!

Good luck!

Last edited by safariman; 03/25/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Ruger has a P9 knock off now too, the LC9. I guess Taurus does as with with the 709.

Kel Tec is one of the most copied handguns of our time. Several models have been cloned by one maker or another such as the ones mentioned above and the P3AT 380. My wifes favorite carry piece now.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm loving my Diamond Back DB9 in a N82Tactical.com tuckable IWB.
11 oz 9 mm. That will hold a 25 foot pistol target.
And disappears inside my belt.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
titanium SW 38 with barami hip grip can be carried with any clothing even drawstring tied shorts.

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Guys,
Thanks for the ideas. I guess I will have to check our gun show next month and hold them both. My idea was the P9 would have a bit more recoil than the P11 but its hard to say. I just want to shoot the heck out of it being that 9mm can he had for cheap around here. Like I say my full size steel 1911 are more heavy than I want them to be. Saw a Kimber ultra carry (I think this is the model) in 9mm online somewhere and even that is runnig close to a full size 1911 in weight. I just need a lighter carry summer handgun. Sure I got the M60 and Sp101 and this next one needs to be significantly lighter for me to buy but the P11 can he had for fairly cheap so we will see.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was carrying the Speer Gold Dot 124 GR Plus P in my Kahr. They were shooting about three to four inch's high and to the right at about 15 to 20 yards and after a few shots your hand is a little numb from the sharp recoil. I tried the Hornady 115 gr Critical Defense and they shot dead center and about a inch high at the same distant and worked without a hitch in the P9. The recoil is much easier on the hand after the same amount of shooting. I have now switched to the Hornady CD as my carry load in the Kahr.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by valad
Guys,
Thanks for the ideas. I guess I will have to check our gun show next month and hold them both. My idea was the P9 would have a bit more recoil than the P11 but its hard to say. I just want to shoot the heck out of it being that 9mm can he had for cheap around here. Like I say my full size steel 1911 are more heavy than I want them to be. Saw a Kimber ultra carry (I think this is the model) in 9mm online somewhere and even that is runnig close to a full size 1911 in weight. I just need a lighter carry summer handgun. Sure I got the M60 and Sp101 and this next one needs to be significantly lighter for me to buy but the P11 can he had for fairly cheap so we will see.
I respect the guys here who are talking the P9 up. They are worth listening to and I am not opposed to trying another one. My experience was different though. I bought one that was slightly used and it jammed quite a bit. It didn't matter which mag was used and it was well-lubed. The recoil on the piece is pretty vicious. I'm used to the 45 Colt and 44 Mag, but the P9 was uncomfortable to shoot.

It was a bit large for a true pocket gun, but definitely concealed better than my Smith M&P Compact.

Were it me, I'd try out the Kel-Tec .380 or the double stack 9mm that you were talking about in your OP. I'd think the extra surface spreading the recoil out in your palm would do much for comfort.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My PM 9 has been 100%.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had a failure in my P9. It has been 100% with every load i have tried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 55 invisible), 13,594 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,123
Posts18,542,297
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.