Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
You can get a canister and multi fuel burner for it as well.

It is also possible to mount a Primus Omnifuel stove burner in a Trangia.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Speaking of which,

Jim, what is your opinion of anodizing with and without nonstick coating.

Is the anodizing good enough or better without the teflon or does the teflon make it even better yet?

I have two Trangia sets, a 25 and a 27. Both are plain aluminum, so I can't specifically address Trangia's particular non-stick coating.

I can make the following very general comments:
For cooking real food, especially the fry pan, it is nice to have a non stick coating. Non stick coatings tend to be less durable than hard anodization. A good non-stick coating holds up reasonably well so long as you don't use metal utensils. You also want to have something in he pot or pan (don't heat the pot or pan empty in other words).

Hard anodization puts a very hard coating on aluminum. Hard anodization makes things more durable, but it's not quite the same as a non-stick coating. Hard anodization is far more durable than any non-stick coating I've ever seen, although there are a lot of newer non-stick coatings that are really an improvement over what was available, say, 10 years ago.

HJ

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gebuesch1
You can get a canister and multi fuel burner for it as well.

It is also possible to mount a Primus Omnifuel stove burner in a Trangia.

Primus makes the X2 for Trangia, although I heard it was a lower BTU output due to the face the regular Primus burners has a tendency to melt the windscreen of the Trangia sets.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
So Jim, in essence a nonstick coating on top of hard anodizing would be the way to go, which is why I am persistently pursuing the avenue I am.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G

Primus makes the X2 for Trangia, although I heard it was a lower BTU output due to the face the regular Primus burners has a tendency to melt the windscreen of the Trangia sets.

The Omnifuel is offered with a maximum output of 3000 Watt. The X2 has a maximum output of 2800 Watt. That doesn�t look like a huge difference to me. I don�t know how it is possible to melt the windscreen if the burner is properly mounted. I bought the Omnifuel because the X2 wasn�t available back then in Germany. Additionally X2 and Omnifuel have the same price tag but with the Omnifuel I get an entire stove and not just a burner.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So Jim, in essence a nonstick coating on top of hard anodizing would be the way to go
Yeah, that would be a really nice set up. You would basically want a Trangia 27-5 HA (no kettle) or 27-6 HA (with the kettle).

Doggone if you aren't right, though. There's nobody selling it that I can find. Not even eBay. Weird. Maybe it's so high end that there aren't many of them?

Have you tried contacting Liberty Mountain and seeing if you can special order it? I see that they do carry a lot of Trangia models.

If not, maybe you could order direct from Trangia is Sweden? If they won't sell direct, perhaps they can tell you how to get one.

HJ

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The 25-5 HA is exactly the set I want, I would add the GSI kettle to it.

I have cousins in Sweden, seeing if they can get me one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There you go. Good idea.

Looks like a really sweet set up. Love to see some pics of it in use if you get some...

HJ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (257robertsimp, 160user, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,130
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.