Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
This is tough, I guess when I used my sock fore a filter on the morn coffie. The best is easy, brook trout on a freash cut willow and a open fire ho my!

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
yep. Fresh trout fried in butter with potatoes and onions.

or in Canada shore lunch of fresh walleye and or pike with potatoes, onions.

I enjoy bannock bread too when camping.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Done fresh grouse a couple different ways, usually add it to something pre prepared like mountain house or something canned.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Sorry exbiologist but just what is mountain house?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worse, cup a' noodles, but I don't think I've ever not finished one at a campsite.

Best, usually involve fresh abalone or spiney lobster.. Probably the most memorable was linguini and clam sauce made from pismo clams found on a deserted beach about 1/2 way down baja, with a 12 foot swell peeling long right lines down the point on the north of the bay.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mountain house is freeze dried camp food that you add hot water to and chow.. if we are talking about the same thing. Their beef stew held me over freezing wedding tackle off on a bivvy hunt this year.

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks Tanner crap I had a moment!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fresh sheep steaks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Worst: Most anything freeze dried.
Best: Grouse breast with granny-smith apple slice inside, a couple strips of bacon wrapped around the outside, tinfoil wrapped and tossed in the coals to cook. Served with fried spuds and onions, thick crusty loaf, butter and washed down with an ice cold Canadian. Toss in some hot,fresh Saskatoon berry pie and you have heaven in the bush!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best: Ribeyes from our local butcher and fried potatoes.

Worst: Ran out of food on a canoe trip and cooked a small mouth over an open fire with no seasoning.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T-bone and oat meal. The latter is banned on all trips except on those commercial outings where there are weight limits on gear/grub.

1Minute
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Fresh sheep steaks.

Bingo. Sheep tenderloin sliced into kaboobs, sprinkled with salt. roasted on willow sticks over a willow/alder fire after 5 days of short rations.

You just ain't gonna beat that!

Worst? 1949 dated army K-rations Chef-boy-ar-de spagetti and meatball, eaten in '69 on an Idaho fire which we had put out and had to camp on for 24 hours to be sure it was dead. And no one had matches or a lighter...so we had to eat them cold- we'd put out the damned fire and couldn't find a hot spot anywhere! The soda biscuits we threw out in the woods, figuring the squirrels would eat them. NOT! The day after we were back at the Ranger Station, the District Ranger flew the remote fire site, and on his return, asked us about all those white spots around the outside of the fire-line. We told him "mushrooms" - it had rained lightly, and those soda biscuits hat swelled to about 5 inches high and 7 or 8 inches in diameter...

These same rations had -if I recall correctly - a cherry desert that had caused several cases of Tomaine poisioning. It was the best part of those rations!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Worst meal was elk ribs, I never had them before and never will again! Best was elk pepper steak over rice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best-- pot of chili slow cooked with a side dish of beans.

The worst-- pot of chili made by a fool that had no idea what chili was and a side of beans made by the same fool who didn't know how to cook beans.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my younger days when we ruffed it..talking tents,Coleman stoves/heaters in occasional early November Sandhill blizzards anything hot was good grub.One of the guys always brought canned sardines and mixed em with oyster crackers which had to be the worst vile concoction for cold hungry hunters! Still can't stand to smell those damn things. sick

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We don't make a habit of eating poorly in the field, or anywhere else. The worst was probably C-rats, though they really are not bad. Best? Well, at the end of elk camp we mixed together all the leftovers from the previous 10 days in a single pot and warmed it up. Everyone in camp loved it. It mmight not have beat the fresh venison steaks we had the first night in camp but it was darn good! We washed it down with plenty of Ranier beer. grin

Overall, it is tough to beat a ribeye or other such well-marbled beefsteak seasoned correctly and seared medium rare over a hardwood fire. It is, and always will be, a favorite in my family.

In the beer threads I never see mention of Ranier beer. It is what we drank in Idaho elk camp and we thought it was pretty good. Not craft/micro good, but pretty good. Does anyone else drink Ranier beer?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Like Big Red, we don't eat poorly. I refuse to eat anything that is made with hot water and you eat it out of plastic bag.Pure laziness. I always have a can of Spam in camp.When It gets to the point that I would have to open that, it is time to go home

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I always have a can of Spam in camp.When It gets to the point that I would have to open that, it is time to go home

grin That's funny right there. grin

I like spam. It contains both of the important food groups - salt and fat. grin

Last edited by Big_Redhead; 04/01/12.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Best - Chili with beans, if you're not sharing a tent.

Worst - Chili with beans, if you are sharing a tent.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doubletap
Best - Chili with beans, if you're not sharing a tent.

Worst - Chili with beans, if you are sharing a tent.

If you really want to spice up the tent, add copius amounts of garlic to the chili con frijoles. WHEW-EE!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 1lesfox, 58 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,675
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.