Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll admit when I first choose the amax I was a bit nervous about explosions. I had (on both) about a 2" exit. Both animals lungs were fairly scrambled. There were signs of mild fragmentation but not an explosion.

Some I'm sure would criticize. I am all about accuracy. So the most accurate bullet for said rifle gets the nod. From there placement is key.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely... I'd never be one to criticize dead critters at over 500 yds with an exit.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Case in point. I'll be launching 139 scenars at Mulies and Elk this year. Upon connection I'll be interested in the terminal performance of said pill.
I'll be having that little [bleep] in the back of my head saying they might pencil. But the other little [bleep] in my head will be arguing that they hold sub .5 moa accuracy well beyond 500 yards.

It's an internal battle that leaves me exhausted at times. Ha!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, if I ever had a doubt in my mind about running a Scenar into a critter, I'd just go take a look at some of Pat's .308/155 kills. I suppose if they are coed the same, that 139 should rock...

Ric, I should ask you as well. When you're doing load work up, is all of your testing done off the ground w/ bipod and rear bag? I'm seeing some goofy schit off the bench with a LW WSM, and am looking for a bit more consistency.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll come clean. I havn't used a bench since I halted 1K Br comps. I'm just more comfortable from prone and a bi-pod.

Sometimes though instead of a rear bag I'll use my rabbit ear rear bag if I think I made en error.

Many out there will flame me for it but It seem to work for me.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Makes a lot of sense to me. I think that's where some of my accuracy will lie, I need to get off the [bleep] bench. I don't carry one around the canyons... looks like it'll be bipod and rear bag next time at the range.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogger
No fair, Dober!! We need more info!! smile

Which bullets are doing this pounding out of which Big 7s...? Inquiring minds want to know... so we can go try some...

I think Dober will tell you.....175 NPT from the Mashburn.160's work well, too.

I've never used the thin jacketed target type bullets on elk because I was raised in a different bullet culture.It seems they may be the ticket for very long range shooting,because their light construction allows reliable bullet expansion at long distance where velocity has fallen off.But they may not be the ticket for the more general run of elk hunting.

These may be just the ticket in the hands of these skilled shooters on here who specialize in long range shooting,and require the accuracy inherent with these bullets at great distance.

But I think for more "normal" distances,something of stouter construction may be a better bet,because not all elk are killed in the next postal zip code....likely beyond the skill sets of those who do not shoot elk beyond 500-600 yards(for the majority, even that is a stretch).And to that distance,it is not hard to get even a lowly Nosler Partition (or something similar),to shoot accurately,and expand properly and do a thorough job of penetrating elk bone,hide, and muscle....and what might be just the ticket at 700-800 yards, may fail miserably in the lodgepoles where the only crack may be in the short ribs, angling away on a big bull,and you have to reach the off side shoulder to dump him quickly.

I admire the skills of the long range boys, but I won't be taking my bullet cues from them for general purpose BG hunting.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/24/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bob, them there's my sentiments too.

Since I'm comfortable at 400 yds on deer, I don't see 600 yds being impossible on elk. They are 3 - 4 Xs larger than deer.

That said how often is a GOOD shot offered at 600yds. ??

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
We are talking hunting rifles here guys, although I run a 6.5-284 I now realize that once I hit .5 MOA, I quit chasing further accuracy IN HUNTING RIFLES. Instead, I practice at long range. A rifle that shoots .5 MOA @ 1000 yards is hitting within 2 1/2" of what you aim at (theoretically) and that is certainly good enough for anything but prairie dogs.

I don't hunt with 10# rifles. I have to pack them too far, in country that is too rough. My 8# rifles are bad enough.

Only complaint I have on the 7s is the recoil is noticeable and follow-up shots are not as easy. As much as I like my 6.5-284, I would not hesitate to use a 6.5-06 if it came my way.

I, too, shot 1000 yd BR for a few years; always with a 6.5-284.

My longest shot with the 6.5 is a tad over 1400 yards. I am going to build a 340 Wby for the 1400+ yard shots this year.

I agree with your 6.5-284 comments. I haven't shot that far with mine, more like 650 yds. It's strictly a hunting type rifle, not in a long range target rifle configuration.

Curious about your new build. Why would you go with the .340 Wby. over the .338 Lapua?

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my elk experience with the 162 Amax.
Hunter... My 12 yr old son
Rifle... Rem BDL/Sendero parts gun
Cartridge... 7 STW
Muzzle Vel... 3240 fps
Impact Vel... 2430 fps
Range...558 yrds
Medium sized Roosevelt cow elk
The cow was broadside. The bullet entered the crease behind the shoulder and hitting one rib. The bullet expanded and continued on till it contacted the lower edge of the spine between the shoulders leaving a half moon of spine missing. Lungs shredded!!
Elk's reaction at impact was instant collapse with a head bounce.
The big issue in my book was I couldn't find any damage to the far side of the rib cage. Basically after hitting the spine the bullet broke up enough that nothing was heavy enough to leave the far lung and impact the other side.
Did it work in this case? YES.
Do I consider it an all around use elk bullet? Certainly not in a magnum application.
Will I continue to use it in the 500+ yrd broadside application? YES.

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm. Wonder how they'd do at 200-600 when started at 2800?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jwall

That said how often is a GOOD shot offered at 600yds. ??

In my experience just as good as closer. Except they look smaller.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanner, it's not my story to tell so I won't go into it anymore than this. I'm pretty dang sure that the starting speed was about 2750 and the shot was at about 600.

My gut on the bullet tells me it's gonna do well on small big game like deer/lopes/black bruins etc. I spect from time to time on large big game like elk it's gonna make one wonder.

This brings me to the NBT, while it doesn't have zonker high BC it's got plenty. And yet it's gonna hold together pretty darn well especially at the longer ranges. But, it also does a tonnage of tissue damage. To me it's the best of all worlds, but I've used it a ton so I feel really comfy with it.
To date out of my 7 Mashburn Super I've not had one fail to exit and it does pound the critters hard!

The BC it gives to a couple other bullets only is an aid in wind (to me) as the up down is easy to work with. Long and the short if the winds going much over 5 mph I'm not going long on game. Steel sure, light the torch. By my way of thinking shooting at game at long range (500 on out) is incredibly foolish thing to do...But, that's just my opinion.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed on all points on the bullets! I've got some 140 NBTs to try out of the 270 WSM. My bro has hammered multiple critters with that bullet, its a great one.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Similar case capacity, availability of brass, ability to use a standard sized action and not a monster 3 pounder AND, I have a reamer already with a proven accuracy track record.

The Lapua .338 brass is grossly over-priced, over sized and overweight!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
This brings me to the NBT, while it doesn't have zonker high BC it's got plenty.

Mark, if you don't mind me asking, what speeds are you getting with those in you Mashburn?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smoke-7828 is generally running the 150 NBT @ 3250. I haven't messed with other powders much in recent years and this loads done well for me on game thru 3 barrels. I could hit it harder if I wish but I've found this load to do all I want with ease out to 700 yds. (I have a 4-14 Leo with Premier dotz to 700 on it)

R25 is what I've used with the 175 Noz Semi spitzer.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gracias!!!! Just got my form dies in the mail, gonna load some BT's tonight.

BTW, I got up to 3,200 with 162 Amax's, no obvious pressure signs with Retumbo, but better accuracy down around 3075 with H-1000.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Tanner
Anybody run a 162 AMAX into an elk yet? I know they work on deer, but I like the idea of walking around with them in the mag come October...

While it does not have the .625 bc of the A-max. The 162 gr btsp interlock will shoot bug hole groups. My #1 in STW will group the 162 btsp well inside an inch.

And I do know the bullet will kill a bull. Although at a lasered 325 yds, I could only find an entrance hole for each of the three bullets I dumped into his lungs. One from the left side, one from the right side, and one more from the rear as he began to walk away from me. The last entered the pocket just under the right hip bone and then punched through the liver and diaphragm. The bull finally fell over about twenty five steps later.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Similar case capacity, availability of brass, ability to use a standard sized action and not a monster 3 pounder AND, I have a reamer already with a proven accuracy track record.

The Lapua .338 brass is grossly over-priced, over sized and overweight!

Thanks.

I see your logic.

DF

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (264mag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 10gaugemag, 35 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,031
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.