Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fresh whitetail liver cooked over a Coleman stove with plenty of onions. A celebration of a successful hunt as well as a meal great meal shared with the best hunting partner I ever had.

μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really like fresh grouse. Roll the pieces in a little seasoned salt/pepper/flour and fry it in a cup of vegetable oil and a stick of real butter. Grill some asparagus spears with a little olive oil. That makes a great meal!

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh, and it helps if at least 75% of the feathers are removed before you cook it! It seems like those cooked-in-the-field birds always have a few feathers hidden somewhere.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The worst: tuna helper with just water nothing else. Best: fresh Elk tenderloin.

Last edited by DayPacker; 04/19/12.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
eggs, backstrap and country gravy, hashbrowns, coffee

For sure

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Best: Fresh from the stream trout.

Worst: Squirrel and Rolling Rock P-water in the can.
The "cook" forgot the grub and just brought a case of Rolling Rock swell in the can. I killed the squirrel because I had to have something other than "beer" in my stomach. Squirrel roasted over a fire is not good. I'm glad no Christian gentlemen where along due to my salty language and foul disposition.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My partner and I have been hunting together for close to 20 years. It took exactly 1 trip to decide that we'd take our own food. His diet was atrocious. In recent years, he's developed a mild case of diabetes and now his diet it even more atrocious.
In years past, he had a standard supper recipe: boil white rice, dump in some frozen corn, and add a couple hot dogs. He'd eat that every night for a week.
Now that he has the diabetes, he eats nuts by the pound, along with a couple conglomerations that I have no idea what's in them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The best steak I ever ate. Caribou tenderloins butterflied and marinated in Montreal Steak seasoning then broiled over the coals of an open campfire.
[Linked Image]

The worst camp grub I've ever eaten was freeze-dried eggs. No matter how I try to disguise them they still taste like cardboard marinated in cow $hit. How do I know what cardboard marinated in cow $hit tastes like? I don't, but it must taste like freeze-dried eggs.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The worst was some shot up Caribou shoulder that cook did his best with since the outfitter didn't send in any grub in on a fly in Moose hunt I was on in Newfoundland. The best, was fresh Red Salmon I was catching after doing my flying in the morning. Caught a lot of reds that few weeks were we were. Ate good real good, an the fishing was fantastic.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love grouse too but.... Once on an elk hunt with my dad I took the biggest blue grouse of my life. Huge bird. I put him in the dutch oven with a couple of cornish game hens, taters, carrots, mushrooms etc. Those hens were falling apart tender and delicious. That big blue was tough as hell and not very flavorful. I took care of it for the pot from the second after I picked it up to the fork. No telling sometimes.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Steak and taters Its good anywhere, but something about camp makes it so much better.
[Linked Image]

Seasoned with the lil chicken flavor packet outta a pack of top ramen. By far the best grouse I have ever had.
[Linked Image]

OH and Veanna sausages would rank the worst camp food

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Once, while rabbit hunting with a .22, I made a fantanstically lucky snap shot to kill a flying pheasant. The bullet went right up the length of his spine. The meat was hard as a rock. My guess is that it had something to do with nerves and being shot along the spine. It was literraly inedible because the meat was so hard that you couldn't chew it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Best = Red deer back straps and red wine.
Worst = nothing, a washed out camp with everything drenched, no fire, bedding, and cold, to wrap the night up in all on top of a considerably broken down car. Ended up hitching home and sleeping on a cold concrete disused public toilet floor in a T shirt and shorts.

What fun.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dinty Moore Beef stew for Breakfast, Lunch and dinner. Cold if my dad was in a hurry.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The best meal is the same. A cherished yearly event for almost every year of 23 years I've owned my deer camp. Deer camp stew on gun season eve or opening day eve. Always goes with the " grand prayer" to bless the camp and a safe hunt. Some years were so lean on deer meat we did use beef a few times however.

Last edited by ihookem; 04/29/12.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We will all bring some wild game dish pre-made in a large container. Something like elk chili, pheasant stroganoff, antelope chow mein, or thereabouts.

Later in the week we get sick of washing dishes and it becomes fresh elk on a stick over the campfire.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My worst....ever. 5# elk roast, taters, onions, carrots.....all to be perfect, but you know when you leave camp to go elk chasing.......things happen.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No excuse for bad camp food. Even Cup-O-Noodles taste good when camping. However, my Cup-O-Noodles are rarely ever used. grin

Fish camp coffee;
[Linked Image]

Rainbow trout;
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Deer camp steak and pickled quail eggs;
[Linked Image]

Pronghorn tenderloin;
[Linked Image]

Dove hunt vittles;
[Linked Image]

Rendezvous camp venison stew;
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Sells/Rendezvous/DSCF2739.jpg[/img]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 35 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,052
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.