Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
ihookem Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Does anyone here hunt around Dryden Ont. for deer? I ask cause I'm looking into an unguided hunt there. I can get a cabin for a week for 400 bucks. Seem loike a good time . I'd need to hunt Crown land of course. i can only hunt a few wmu like WMU 8. How is it up there?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Too darned crowded with American tourists from Vermont, Michigan, Connecticut, Wisconsin etc. Hard to find any decent crown land to hunt. That illegal deer that was shot here a few years back gave us some unneeded press.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot his great great grandpa with Dad and Paul Krushe north of Minnetaki the fall of 1970. The antlers were in the tool shed and by the next spring the mice had chewed them up bad enough I never did anything with them.

I have a 14 point that overwintered OK at our hunting camp.Maybe this year will be the year.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Can I reserve a place in the deer "stand?" laugh You can bust a cap on the big guy. I just want to be there to see it.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back in March a snare on Transcanda by the Husky station in Dryden at 5:30 AM could have bagged a few deer.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Too darned crowded with American tourists from Vermont, Michigan, Connecticut, Wisconsin etc. Hard to find any decent crown land to hunt. That illegal deer that was shot here a few years back gave us some unneeded press.

I've hunted that area several times and I agree with the above assessment. Hunting that area is very much like hunting the WI northwoods.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know with all my rifles it may seem strange but I am thinking to use Dad's 303 for the first time for a lot of years. I miss him a lot this spring. Probably a bit because of the forced retirement.

Lester Roloff
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am sure you folks know what you are talking about. It looks to me that the Crown land around Dryden is nearly endless. But, then again, I have never looked to hunt with a high power rifle either. Without giving away any secrets,how does one go about finding a spot? It seems bush roads, and trails are a plenty.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We hunted there the first week of rifle, last year.My buddy took a 230 lb. 10 point. Only deer we took. Country reminde me of northeren Maine. We mostly hunted beaver swamps and cuts. Not an easy hunt. Baiting is legal and most of the camps offer baited hunts. We stayed with Len and Nancy Davis, Bonny Bay camp, on lake Wabigoon. Nice people, and nice cabins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We grew up in the area and to us crown land has all but disppeared around town. Once you get 30 miles out and away from main highways the crown land is more prevalent. I used to walk to hunt before I had a driver's license. Now the old home is within city limits.

Times change things and seldom for the better when it comes to wildlife habitat.

Just my jaundiced view.

Randy

Lester Roloff
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
20 some years ago, I shot my moose 140 yards from my back door. Not so much now. Deer have taken over the habitat close to civilization, but then, you can't hunt that close to civilization.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Randy,Time does change things. If the city limits you are refering are Barclay,that is another story. The deer seem to be increasing all over.I have joked of sitting on the front step,rifle, and beverage of choice both handy. Last summer I did see a deer cross King Street a stones throw from the step.In general however,it looks like you can people, or moose,not both.Good shooting with the trusty 303!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by medicman
I know with all my rifles it may seem strange but I am thinking to use Dad's 303 for the first time for a lot of years. I miss him a lot this spring. Probably a bit because of the forced retirement.

Ole meat in the pot, huh?

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. If that rifle could talk, I'd keep it locked up.... smile

Lester Roloff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few buds that hunt Dryden and said its great, never said anything about too many guys. Most years they get 1 really good buck and the rest shoot average deer for that area.

I want to go soon. I do know that they drive close to an hour from the hotel where they stay to hunt,

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The deer herd in NW Ontario took a couple big hits with harsh winters and high wolf numbers. Still a decent hunt but quality has gone down overall in the past 5-10 years. Deer density in the crown land areas is low and hunting pressure is quite high in areas that non-residents can hunt. Non-residents shoot a lot of young deer, which baffles me since why would you travel and spend all that money for deer meat. Most are trophy hunters but will settle for a small 2 1/2 year old to say "I got my buck". Certainly this is not all non-resident hunters and resident hunters are just as bad. I think there is still some decent deer densities in unit 10 and 13 but non-res require a guide in 10 and there is no non-res season in 13. To find spots to hunt will be difficult but not impossible. The easier to access areas will often have hunters already there or planning to go there. Crown land is first come first served but disputes between hunters on crown land leave a bad taste in my mouth. That is why I own property and hunt there. I don't like to have to deal with disrespectful hunters. I had quite the experience last season trying to put my tag on a good 160 class buck on crown land.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Back in early October I was very much in scouting mode. I was running trail camera's on my own property but I was also reaching out onto crown land areas. Armed with bait and trail camera's I would rotate camera's in some areas that I had history with and a few new areas I was curious about. It was during this process that I found a really great buck. We later called him Kapi for reasons that will soon become apparent.

It was around mid October when I went to a new area to pick up my camera and move on. I had captured picures of a couple younger bucks the last check and it was time to try a new area. When I got home to check the cards I found I had two nights of pictures of a buck with really long tines and awesome beams that were about 18-19" inside and still almost touched at the tips.

[Linked Image]

We had a target buck. The original spot had the perfect tree nearby as I always do when I scout just in case and I set up a climber and rearmed the area with a camera. We also set up another camera and bait on rock tops with a ground blind so we had two options. Things are looking up, we have a great buck in sight.

I decided not to bowhunt, I didn't want to blow this and besides, it would give both me and Deb a chance at him.

The opener.

Only heard one shot fired in first 2 hours. A heavy frost on grasses and bush just crackled when you moved at all. I had the perfect wind. I got settled and enjoyed the sunrise. Fog was moving in and out. I was debating making a grunt but decided to take this hunt slow. Then I hear a quad. It stops about 200 yards or so distant, close to where Deb is settled in her ground blind. Sure enough, 5 minutes later here comes an orange blob. O.K. I'm thinking this is crown land, hopefully he will leave once I anounce myself, worst case scenario he walks by then turns around, not the end of the world. I whistle to him when he get's directly in front of me, he is looking around but I am really high and well hidden in the spruce. I say "hey there". He just stares at me for awhile then dip his head and keeps walking. I then say excuse me but I'm hunting here? He continues his silence and keeps walking, so I watch. He leave's the trail and is heading towards my bait site. I still have a camera there too...lol. He stops at some trees about 20 yards away and he is fidgeting around the trees and the wind is wrong for him and he is stinking up my area. After about 10 minutes of fighting with his pack, his gun and god knows what else I see him sit into something, ahhhh. A climber, one that faces the tree, he goes up about 8 feet and faces the bait. That's it. We stay that way in silence for about 2 hours. He didn't have bino's and I was covering all entrances to the area. I was fighting a war of attrition in my mind, he will leave. I am first here, this should be my spot for today at least. I figured his stand was set up the day before and he is likely the guy with the camper down the road. If so, he has about 20 other spots he hunts as well. I checked the entrance to this area the day before and seen a fresh set of quad tracks, I knew the danger but I didn't think the worst could happen. I finally gave up, I couldn't enjoy the hunt. I spent the next few hours cleaning up the bait site, every last drop, and pulled my camera, he wasn't leaving. I got pictures of Kapi 3 hours before opening bell and with some new side views I could see he had huge mass as well......170+?

[Linked Image]

I later talked to the older hunter and his family who are camped a few miles away. He has been hunting the area for 26 years he says, last season was the first time he had not hunted there, he was from Kapuskasing. I tore a stip off him that morning and later apologized but still feel like he was wrong that morning. I figure it is better to work with these people than against them, I will be hunting in that area again I am sure.

After I pulled out on the opener I was checking on the area constantly and noticed no more traffic and went in to check/stillhunt. He had pulled out as well and was hunting other crown land spots he had set up. So I started hunting in there again and rebaited the area. I had some good sits but only seen a young 8 and flattops.

Saturday, Nov 5th. This day me and Deb have the right wind and we both are in there hunting and stayed till around noon then left to go for lunch and let the dogs out to play for awhile. We go back around 1:30. I see a truck parked there and I walk in. Right off the bat I see an orange blob on the trail. I chat with him explaining I have been hunting here all week. He doesn't say too much but says they just got in from Hearst or Timmons. I walk by two more hunters and the last is sitting in the same tree the old fella was in on the opener right near my bait. They aren't leaving. Here we go again. The last hunter told me there were 7 of them and that they would be in there all week. He also said they have hunted there for 15 years. I tried pleading with the last guy and said why not take the first half of the trail and let me and my wife continue our hunt but no. He drove 15 hours and was not moving. Go find another place to hunt.

So I pull my climber and intend to come back after dark to pull camera's and ground blind and bait. Wrong move there. Should have pulled out the bait and camera that afternoon, may not have changed anything but then again it may have. When we get there that night we start filling up bags with bait. Something about baiting for others that bothers me. Anyway, while doing this Deb says, hey there is a gut pile here. Sure enough, a gut pile. Oh and a set of balls too. Damn. Could Kapi be gone? I figured at the time that it wasn't likely, probably that pesky 8 pointer but just the same, there was a chance.

Of course I was monitoring the area and noticed quickly that they did not return at all. Hmmmm. Not good. Maybe they got the big guy and don't want to break the news to me and Deb. I started hunting there again but in different areas off the trail, twice bitten and all that. I brought in 4 trail camera's and put one on every major scrape in the area. During this period I seen that 8 pointer twice and a young 10 point both I knew were in the area and I got only those two bucks on the scrapes. After our first skiff of snow I scoured the area and located huge rubs, biggest I've ever seen and kind of figured out Kapi's core area and I have come to the conclusion that he was taken under my stand on the 5th. I was so close to getting this buck. Had I stayed in stand, or even if I sat regardless of the other hunter I think I would have had him as my stand covers the area so much better and all approaches.

Anyway, that is enough wine and cheese. Just thought I would share some of my interesting moments. A lot of discussion could be made about how to deal with this situation but in the end it is what it is. It is crown land and you have to deal with this type of situation.

There is a slight chance he is still alive and I will revisit the area but for now we are done hunting for this buck.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You know we got the same thing out here,guys shooting all the little bucks (white tail).I tell'em all the time if ya wanna shoot a big buck quit shootin the little ones.I been shooting skinheads the last few years.If its just meat yer after one tastes as good as another.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
So are you folks saying the deer are scarcer in the crown land hunting areas,but thicker near homes, and town?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Pretty much. The eating is easier for them around gardens and fields.

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,057
Posts18,482,363
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.