Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
anw0625 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
What are you favorite and most durable hunting pants?

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
hunted in Kuiu's last year and loved them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mammut Champs, NW Alpine Fast/Light, and OR Exos have probably been my favorites. The Fast/Light's are proving to be the most durable I've had.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
cabelas microtex.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Arborwear Tech pants in color forest green or driftwood

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sitka Mountain pants, the originals, bought new in 2007 in the MM1.0 pattern. They are tough, I've had to patch and sew in a few places but they are still my go-to's for backcountry early season hunting. With a good merino wool base layer they are good through mid-season, and with a Gore-tex shell over the top of that they can take me through late rifle season most days if I'm staying active...

God Bless America!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll 2nd the Sitka Mtn pants and throw the Core 4 Element pants in with them. I also prefer the 90% pants when it's a bit cooler outside, along with the suspenders.

For colder weather hunting I like the Sporthill pants, they are non-restricting, will not soak through when walking in snow and are very warm.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BDU's, Cabelas Microtex, Good ol' wool, Craghoppers combat trousers(favs), Cabelas Mt050(heavy, for base camp). They all works great for me depending on weather and how light I want to go.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you're looking for a cheap, ultralight stretchy pant that is water and wind resistant, and aren't concerned about camouflage, check out Target's Champion C9 Golf Pant, for $30. Durability is good so far, but they certainly wouldn't be for briar-busting. I absolutely love mine!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been hunting/hiking in KUIU Attack Pants for the last month and a bit. The fit, comfort and fabric performance has been great. All except durability, the jury is definitely still out there, as they are showing a fair bit of wear already.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Carhartt with Filson tin chaps for cool(ish) hunting, and Filson wool bibs for colder weather hunting. I typically only hunt when it�s cool(ish) or cold outside. I would also consider Filson whipcord pants and tin chaps.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Like my microtex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most durable to date has been wool pants, even the cheaper Codet stuff has held up well.

I am quickly becoming a fan of Cabelas Microtex though.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Mammut Champs,

You rascal..... smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Patagonia Alpine Guide, Microtex, and Filson whipcords. I have both the regular microtex and a pair of "Alaska Guide" microtex, not the current version, that are regular microtex fabric with more of a BDU cut, and zippers instead of buttons.

I like them all, just depends on the usage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wore Northface and ExOfficio this year elk hunting. Wet and brushy. Both performed well. Not fragile. Dried quickly. At the end of the week I thought the ExOfficio's were better. I have some lightweight Columbia convertibles but just can't bring myself to wear them because I don't believe they will keep me warm. I used to only wear wool, but after a game warden told me over a cup of coffee that he had switched to the newer fabrics and wouldn't go back I tried the newer fabrics and I agree.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another vote for microtex.

Vary the base layers underneath for warmth or for later season I run the insulated version. Regardless I carry a set of lightweight rain pants to go over them if needed. (Browning Deluge).

I also like the Kings Outdoors pants, pro hunter. Not as good quality but usually can be had cheaper.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Cabelas Microtex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Cabelas Microtex.
Seem to be very durable and hold up well. I've been pleased with them but, admittedly, haven't tried much else so I really have no comparison.
I also don't experience the weather extremes here in the East that a lot of our Western counterparts experience. Rarely is there snow and sub-20� temps during hunting seasons and therefore the need for clothing built for extreme conditions isn't as necessary.

Currently I'm trying out some 5.11 Tactical BDU's that have lots of handy pockets for hunting, backpacking and hiking. Seem to be very durable.

edit: I wish the microtex was available in something other than camo only.

Last edited by snubbie; 05/03/12.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Upland hunting tends to be hardest on my hunting pants moreso than backpacking or general big game hunting. Not all upland pants are created equal; Filson oil finish tin pants are tough, whereas their shelter cloth is not so tough. The pants I've experienced that tend to fall on the tough end are Duluth firehose, Filson tin, Filson whipcord, USGI M-1951 whipcord and the likes. Of these, the most appropriate for backpacking are the Filson whipcord and the USGI M-1951 whipcord. If I don't need very tough pants, something along the lines of Microtex or most any type of backpacking pant would do. But I'd shred these later backpack pants in short order compared to something like Duluth firehose if I needed tough pants. With backpacking it's a compromise to shed weight. I favor a good pair of whipcords as you can live out of them through a broad range of conditions cold to hot, yet they breathe and tend not to hold funk.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 36 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,786
Posts18,536,296
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.