"You may as well pizz on the fire...and call the dogs!"

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by Dale K
Highball (asked several pages ago) is a railroad term. They used a ball on rope or pole at the station, if it was high, you could (proceed) at high speed for the next section of track.

That.
And if the ball was low, you were to stop at the station.

No balls on poles now, but the term sticks. "Highball the work"....leave the cars scheduled to be added to the train.

All dark...

Mean anything to you?

It usually means there is a manager lurking about. wink

Actually on the main line just as the train entered a curve the engine crew could look back and see the entire train, a mile or better back. The term "all dark" was said by the crewmen that could see that side of the train and repeated by the other crew members where all were to know that no hot boxes were spotted for the entire length of the train. Hot box, or dry axle, could cause a train fire or derailment. smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Doc Howell, did you ever dip tar?

No, but I've changed a few by the side of the road. laugh

I was present where chipping boxes and dipping tar was taking place and saw enough of it that I never wanted to do it for a living.
Was hard and dirty work. Made many a trip to the turpentine still with a barrel or two of tar in the pickup to sell.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Pop the clutch. I'm convinced no one under 30 can drive a standard transmission.

Even for 40+ old, it's a distant memory too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Twenty years ago I was still driving a '79 Ford pickup with a 3 speed stick; "three on the tree". Had to park in the city at a lot where the attendant parked your vehicle for you. Got out and said; "it's a stick". "OK" was his reply. Walking away from the lot I noticed he was still in my truck and it hadn't moved yet. I went back and asked if everything was O.K. Turns out he had never even parked anything with a three on the tree. Once I showed him how to get first and reverse he did fine. He just had never even heard about or seen a three speed column shift. That's when (1992) I first realized that those things were getting scarce. Or should I say; "rarer than hen's teeth".

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Any of you ever been on an "E ticket" ride.
My 30 year old son didn't know that one.

DK

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the info on 'waif' Ken, I was just repeating things I heard from the old folks back when I was a kid. They all gone now and most didn't have no 'school larne-in'.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OH that is a riot. Several years ago my wife and some co-workers were talking at lunch as one described an auto accident she had been in my wife said just that, "Wow that sounds like an E-Ticket ride".

A younger nurse asked what she was talking about, when Kath explained that was the big rides at Disney the girl said "Your nuts, they don't have tickets at Disney". At that point my wife dug into her purse and pulled out an old book of tickets from Disneyworld in Orlando and showed her one!

BTW, she still has them in her purse. smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My wife's mom used to tell the younguns, them what can't hear can feel.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All dark...

Mean anything to you?

It usually means there is a manager lurking about. wink

Actually on the main line just as the train entered a curve the engine crew could look back and see the entire train, a mile or better back. The term "all dark" was said by the crewmen that could see that side of the train and repeated by the other crew members where all were to know that no hot boxes were spotted for the entire length of the train. Hot box, or dry axle, could cause a train fire or derailment. smile

You're right. I'd forgotten that one - haven't heard it used that way for quite some time. Hot-box is another one that's just about history. Haven't seen an axle with a grease box for years, but I think there are a few still out there.

More concerned with what's going on ahead these days. "All dark" would indicate a signal outage (usually a test) and the requirement to stop.

We could go off-topic with railroad lingo all night, but I'll just crawl back into my crummy instead (not seeing any of those anymore either).

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just used "hurtin' unit" to describe a real sick patient at work (hospital). I had to explain it to my co-workers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"... doesn't know Gordon from Gottschalk."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get up and change the channel, son.

Jim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Twenty years ago I was still driving a '79 Ford pickup with a 3 speed stick; "three on the tree". Had to park in the city at a lot where the attendant parked your vehicle for you. Got out and said; "it's a stick". "OK" was his reply. Walking away from the lot I noticed he was still in my truck and it hadn't moved yet. I went back and asked if everything was O.K. Turns out he had never even parked anything with a three on the tree. Once I showed him how to get first and reverse he did fine. He just had never even heard about or seen a three speed column shift. That's when (1992) I first realized that those things were getting scarce. Or should I say; "rarer than hen's teeth".

My uncle had a 1941 Buick with a three on the tree, and he let me drive it one time...it is by far the smoothest manual transmission I have ever used! (his 1950s "M" tractor, on the other hand...)

Last edited by Sagebrusher; 05/24/12.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.