Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Wow, you are dense. I don't shoot you because you killed my dog. I shoot you because you are in my yard, shooting. Keep out of my yard and you will most definetely continue a long and happy life. If you shoot my dog in the street, that would be an entirely different story. To date, my dog has bitten, mualed, killed, exactly 0 creatures outside of insects and maybe the occasional gecko. I don't need an internet genius to tell me how to raise my dogs.

Make sure you do this in a grand way so that it hits the papers. That way we can debate whether or not it was a lawful shoot....

M1 with fixed bayonet???

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
You shoot my dog in my yard, you are a dead son of a bitch. Come in my yard with a gun, and you are not law enforcement, I will tell you ONE TIME to drop the gun, and if you don't, you are dead again. It's simple, really. You need to stay out of my yard and leave my dog alone.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA! What are you? Crazy?! Must be.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When she isn't in my house, she is in the back yard, while I am home, or on a leash going for a walk with me. She is a neighborhood star. Everyone loves her, and she has made me several friends on our walks.

Jeffie, when you get married and have kids, little kids, you may change somewhat in your feelings on dogs, whatever kind they are. Your going to find out you love them more than the dogs.

Fishing on the coast last year, I drove up to the camp, hopped out and sat in a chair on the beach. I look over to my right and here he comes. Turned out he damn near licked me to death. Nice dog. That's not the kind I'm talking about. He is Petey, a Pit.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
What is it with cops coming on people's property and shooting their dogs? mad

If I was in your yard, your dog charged me, I'd shoot him also.
I'm not a cop.

If you were in my yard uninvited I would feed your sorry ass to my dogs.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Stxhunters, dog. Yes. I have seen pictures. I also know where you are coming from, with the parent point of view. But, with little kids, any dog should be a concern. I am always very careful with my dog around children.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
You shoot my dog in my yard, you are a dead son of a bitch. Come in my yard with a gun, and you are not law enforcement, I will tell you ONE TIME to drop the gun, and if you don't, you are dead again. It's simple, really. You need to stay out of my yard and leave my dog alone.

Tell your dog to leave me alone, we'll be fine.

Last edited by Wtxj; 06/04/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
rkamp Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by willowcreek1996

This has become a somewhat frequent occurrence. I want to know when we started hiring a bunch of trigger happy girls and boys to be police officers. I have a hard time imagining that mailmen, I mean mail carriers, don't encounter "vicious" dogs more often than police officers. I haven't read any stories about mailmen shooting people's pets.

I have heard some first hand stories of some nsty dogs catching a claw hammer between the eyes, but the risk of collateral damage is much less.

good post!

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gunner, I think your right on the moon.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rkamp

This has become a somewhat frequent occurrence. I want to know when we started hiring a bunch of trigger happy girls and boys to be police officers. I have a hard time imagining that mailmen, I mean mail carriers, don't encounter "vicious" dogs more often than police officers. I haven't read any stories about mailmen shooting people's pets.

I have heard some first hand stories of some nsty dogs catching a claw hammer between the eyes, but the risk of collateral damage is much less.

good post!

How many postmen walk routes today?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I missed something here. What part of defending your property carries a life sentence? This isn't Florida. In this state, Texas, we have the castle law, and there are several cases where homeowners have killed people on their property for less than what Wtxj would do.

Google "Joe Horn", and tell me what you find.

Not to say that taking another persons life doesn't carry great consequence that will last a lifetime.

castle doctrine applies to you in your home...don't start at the curb with your dog....ymmv...but go ahead and test it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty interesting video here. Seems eye witnesses say the ridgeback was attacking the officer and the pit only sustained a very minor wound. As usual, the 'fire continues to remind me why this country is in the shape it's in.

http://www.kvue.com/news/City-of-Florence-responds-to-police-chief-shooting-dogs--157052095.html

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
As usual, the 'fire continues to remind me why this country is in the shape it's in.

agreed...

rkamp Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wtxj

good post!

How many postmen walk routes today?

I think the point is that a lot of people realize that dogs are just trying to protect their owners (territory). Shooting at a dog with a high powered center fire pistol with a house as a backstop is an irrational act, especially for the "chief" of police. Back off and get the owner cited, fix the fence, impound the dogs. Don't shoot into the house risking the occupants.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've only killed one dog on duty. Turned out to be one of my best friend's. It was kinda awkward, but we were both grown up enough to realize that when they get out and chew up a kid on a bike, that's what is gonna happen.

If my dog were out chewing on someone's kid I'd expect it to be shot, I'd reimburse whoever did it for the ammo and expect to liable for the kid's medical bills.

This is a different situation though.

I dunno how the law views your dog biting an intruder on your own property.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by eh76
I missed something here. What part of defending your property carries a life sentence? This isn't Florida. In this state, Texas, we have the castle law, and there are several cases where homeowners have killed people on their property for less than what Wtxj would do.

Google "Joe Horn", and tell me what you find.

Not to say that taking another persons life doesn't carry great consequence that will last a lifetime.

castle doctrine applies to you in your home...don't start at the curb with your dog....ymmv...but go ahead and test it.

The castle law in texas refers to your habitation, vehicle, work place, or place of business. Now, if I am in my house, and you are a stranger in my yard with a gun, can I justifiably say that I shot you because I was threatened and believed that you were trying to gain entrance into my habitation. It sounds a little hazey, but I would say yes. After all, it worked out for Joe Horn. Moral of the story, stay off other people's private property when not invited, and don't shoot another man's house pet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
let me know how that works out for you....quick draw mcgraw wink some people shoot back accurately.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Permission or not, you have a vicious dog that attacks even if in your own yard..you will be held liable.

I don't even have a dog now but I don't see how anyone could be liable for their dog attacking someone if they entered a locked backyard without the owners permission.

Last edited by victoro; 06/04/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think the point is that a lot of people realize that dogs are just trying to protect their owners (territory).

Nah... the point that is missed is why the cop (there is only one at a time) in a small, rural town in which everybody owns dogs has to go to a house BECAUSE of their dogs.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty interesting video here. Seems eye witnesses say the ridgeback was attacking the officer and the pit only sustained a very minor wound. As usual, the 'fire continues to remind me why this country is in the shape it's in.

http://www.kvue.com/news/City-of-Florence-responds-to-police-chief-shooting-dogs--157052095.html

The witness might be full of BS, too.

I have a female griffon who runs loose outside my rural home. She looks fierce and barks at strangers. She doesn't bite, and comes up to anybody after a few seconds of doing her job of "defending" her home and tries to get pets and goodies.

I once had the former mail lady gripe to me that my dog bit her hand. I asked to see the bite marks, but this woman refused to show me any. I know exactly what happened.

The UPS driver who makes frequent deliveries here always has a treat in his right hand for the dog. Sadie runs up to him and bumps his right hand, waiting for her goody. She simply was asking this stupid moron mail lady for a treat.

She swore Sadie bit her until the day she was fired for a multitude of other reasons. The one witness in this incident might just be as full of schidt as our mail person. They might also be correct.

I notice the battle lines drawn here between LEO and civilians, and they are pretty much as they always are. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

"An eye witness who wishes to remain anonymous told KVUE the police chief was being threatened by both of the dogs, acting aggressively, in the front yard."

Not eye "witnesses". Come on, Pat. You're a cop. Attention to detail.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, Amos63, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 17 invisible), 1,091 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.