Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been involved in scouts for around 18 years, am an Eagle scout and have continued involvement since as a leader. Due to our current employment situation, my wife and I will be spending part of this summer working at a scout camp in central Oregon. As part of getting prepared for getting the training we need to work at camp we both had to go through the BSA Youth protection training, which has several key points that include: no 1 on 1 contact, two deep leadership, separate accommodations for youth and adults, as well as female youth and adults for those involved in Venturing BSA which is a co-ed program for those who are 14-20 years old. With Venturing, if there are female scouts going on an outing, there MUST also be a female leader along on the activity.

The BSA has done a fairly good job at trying to protect our youth from predators, as well as protect the adult leaders from false accusations through their youth protection training.

this link is an info page put out by the scouts
http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx

I will also say that I doubt that the BSA will fold to this pressure, if for no other reason, simply because, they realize that if they do fold, there will be many people who will either leave the organization, or stop supporting it. I will also say that I will be one of those.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
As a former Eagle Scout and a currently a big supporter of the BSA with my time and donations I ac say my support will no longer be there if they institute this policy.

Growing up with the BSA I saw a lot of troubled youth, from broken and f upped familiers get their lives back in order and succed through the BSA program. In the BSA there was a Clear sense of structure, morality, patritism, civic duty, sacrifice, donating time for projects for nature, ederly citizens, handicapped, disable veterans.

This is clearly a move by radical homosexuals to radically change the BSA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I have stated TWICE now that, except to homophobes, who by definition are not capable of rational thought or reasoning about anything to do with homosexuality, the sexual orientation of a scoutmaster is NOT THE PROBLEM.

You can state false information as much as you want, but it's not going to make it true. Fact is some gay men are attracted to adolescent boys. You can deny it until you are blue in the face, but all anyone has to do is check out what some professional gay prostitutes look like to see at least some gay men are turned on by the teenage boy look. Here's one infamous example.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

If anyone who's attracted to an adolescent boy is a pedophile than a large part of the gay community are pedophiles.

Originally Posted by DocRocket
As long as you're obsessed with the sexuality of scoutmasters, you are wasting energy and resources that could and should be directed toward finding out who the pedophiles are and getting them the hell out of the BSA, the schools, and kids' sports.

Standard distraction tactic. Everyone look over there while we do our thing here. Cops hear this all the time when they stop someone for a traffic violation. The violator is incensed that the cops are wasting time on them when there are drug dealers and real criminals running lose.

The BSA should avoid the issue by keeping gays out. The gay community's vendetta against the BSA has already done damage that can never be undone, and caving in to gays now will deeply offend those who have stood with the BSA over this issue for years.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
The BSA does operate by "The Golden Rule". Those who donate the gold, make the rules
Not necessarily. Levi Strauss cut them off for their stance on homo leaders. They turned down the gold to maintain their standards.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread has convinced me of how retarded BSA is, along with people here who I thought were sane.

A parent can't camp with their own kid, who can't take a leak by himself....but they'll consider letting homosexuals lead the organization.

Wow.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am an Assistant Scout Master for my troop and a patrol advisor
for 10 boy scouts. I just had one of my boys come out of the closet which is creating a new set of problems for me dealing with the other parents.

Greg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
This thread has convinced me of how retarded BSA is, along with people here who I thought were sane.

A parent can't camp with their own kid, who can't take a leak by himself....but they'll consider letting homosexuals lead the organization.

Wow.

You see it clearly. This thread alone proves why and how the demise is certain. You would expect a consensus of opinion from a group of conservative men. But we have become so tolerant that we will accept any perversion and corruption. That will prove our demise.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let us remove the pedophile issue for a moment.

Most of the interactions between an adult and a non-family member teenager in public arenas such as the Boy Scouts or teaching is of a non-verbal nature. Hard to describe, but how the situation "feels".

I am a heterosexual male (thank God), there are reasons why I cannot take a group of teemage girls out camping in a remote area. NOT making any moves on teenage girls is a test I have passed countless times over the last thirty years. But the fact that should even be an issue is exactly why I would avoid putting myself in that situation.

It aint usually purposeful pedophilia either. Some girls fifteen and up can seem remarkably mature (recall that women commonly used to marry from that age on) and they are becoming adults. When you work with teenagers you can become emotionally close, if it is a young woman the fact that you are of opposite genders inevitably comes to mind.

These situations are as predictable as the sunrise, inevitable given normal human nature. EXACTLY why most such organizations are structured to head these situations off at the pass.

OK, take a young guy 13-17 years old, perhaps from a one-parent family, no male father figures at home. Lets say this individual becomes attached to an inspiring and giving scout leader during these formative years. If this scout leader were openly homosexual, the fact that this older man is sexually attracted to, and has sex with, other men would inevitably cloud the relationship.

I was in the Boy Scouts, enjoyed the heck out of it, the LAST thing I would have needed at that age was an openly homosexual scout master.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Well put

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Let us remove the pedophile issue for a moment.

Most of the interactions between an adult and a non-family member teenager in public arenas such as the Boy Scouts or teaching is of a non-verbal nature. Hard to describe, but how the situation "feels".

I am a heterosexual male (thank God), there are reasons why I cannot take a group of teemage girls out camping in a remote area. NOT making any moves on teenage girls is a test I have passed countless times over the last thirty years. But the fact that should even be an issue is exactly why I would avoid putting myself in that situation.

It aint usually purposeful pedophilia either. Some girls fifteen and up can seem remarkably mature (recall that women commonly used to marry from that age on) and they are becoming adults. When you work with teenagers you can become emotionally close, if it is a young woman the fact that you are of opposite genders inevitably comes to mind.

These situations are as predictable as the sunrise, inevitable given normal human nature. EXACTLY why most such organizations are structured to head these situations off at the pass.

OK, take a young guy 13-17 years old, perhaps from a one-parent family, no male father figures at home. Lets say this individual becomes attached to an inspiring and giving scout leader during these formative years. If this scout leader were openly homosexual, the fact that this older man is sexually attracted to, and has sex with, other men would inevitably cloud the relationship.

I was in the Boy Scouts, enjoyed the heck out of it, the LAST thing I would have needed at that age was an openly homosexual scout master.

Birdwatcher

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
the LAST thing I would have needed at that age was an openly homosexual scout master.

That's what gets me about this crap. When do you really need an openly gay anything? You don't. They think you need it and will shove it in your face at every turn. Entertainment, media, education, the military, the society and even to many institutions that are antithetical to homosexuality. The libs do the same with all kids of issues. Contraception/Catholicism being one. Pretty soon 99% of the comments in this thread will be against the law.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I was a Cub Scout, my mom was a Den Mother, then I was a Boy Scout till I when off to School. The BSA is standing there ground on this issue, they are not the only ones that bar Atheists from the Organization. I am a Member of an Organization that bars Atheists from membership. Nothing new its a private organization and we get to make our own rules, same with the BSA, they are private. The Homo's are pushing an agenda, they are a very loud politically connected and well financed group. What ever they say there numbers are, its more like half or a quarter of that figure. While I would not go and hang them like they do in Iran, from cranes. On the other hand there should be no special rights extended to them just because.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Wow.

setting aside the homosexual stand, no one has said a parent can't camp with their kid. Provided they take the appropriate youth protection training, (again, at least within our troop - other troops may relax that rule) parents are welcome to camp. We aren't protecting your child from you, we are protecting the 64 other boys in our troop from you or any other adult regardless of sexual preference, politics, religion., etc - by making sure you/they understand the guidelines of adult/scout interaction.

At first I didn't understand those rules either , but once you are put in a situation where you have 30 boys camping on a trip , you do.

My personal take is, if someone is so intent on working with boys (and has good intentions) then your sexual orientation should never come up for discussion. If you make your sexual orientation an issue, your focus isn't about helping boys to begin with.

In a perfect world, I should be able to camp with any scout leader and never know he was gay, catholic, protestant , liberal or conservative. We are there as leaders to teach the principles of scouting to the boys, not our own.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/09/12.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Openly gay Scout leaders difficult to promote their agenda?
Are you joking?

You don't think the ACLU, EEOC, Gay Pride groups, DOJ! Hollywood homos won't be all over this once they are established in the BSA?

Once in place any critism of an openly gay Scout Leader will br labled a hate crime and the lawsuits will start. Openly gay Scout leders will be members of a "protected group" and will be untouchable and will be free to promote any agenda they want. The good scouts will quit and BSA as we know will be destroyed.

You can bet there will be diversity, LGBT manadtory merit badges in order to promote to Eagle Scout.

History has proven this time and time again.

Originally Posted by KFWA
Scouts mandate training called Child Protection.

As part of the training you are taught as a scoutmaster or scout leader that under no circumstances are you to ever be alone with a scout or allow any adult to be alone with a scout - not even a situation where you are waiting around for parents to pick up a scout and it you are there with the last scout at the end of the meeting. We are so serious about this that we don't even allow a parent to share a tent with their child during a campout.

I can't speak for any troop other than mine but we are VERY serious about enforcing this rule. No parent or any adult can attend a camp out without completing this training.

When we do go camping , no adult is allowed in a tent. As an adult, I can't even look in a scouts tent unless its a medical emergency.

All scouts must use the buddy system when going to a bathroom (or anywhere for that matter) away from camp or even a troop meeting.

We also have mandated ratios where there are adults /kids on meetings and campouts.

Also, as part of earning the scout badge, parents must discuss the child protection training with their child and sign their name to a booklet that is provided in the scout handbook.

Finally, to earn Tenderfoot, (the second rank that most scouts earn within 3 months of joining) they must have a discussion about child predators and inappropriate behavior.

Finally, as a scoutmaster I have to complete 3 different scout training activities before I earn the "trained" badge I wear. All 3 address appropriate and allowed behavior with scouts. Every 2 years ( I think) I have to retake that training.

All I can say is if your child is in my troop or any troop that adheres to the guidelines set forth by Scouting, there is virtually no chance of abuse.

I also believe that it would be difficult - not impossible but difficult for a homosexual to promote a gay agenda. Tolerance? absolutely but a pro homosexual agenda?
If it did happen, it would be the fault of the parents as much as the scout leadership.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
Are you joking?

You don't think the ACLU, EEOC, Gay Pride groups, DOJ! Hollywood homos won't be all over this once they are established in the BSA?

Once in place any critism of an openly gay Scout Leader will br labled a hate crime and the lawsuits will start. Openly gay Scout leders will be members of a "protected group" and will be untouchable and will be free to promote any agenda they want. The good scouts will quit and BSA as we know will be destroyed.

You can bet there will be diversity, LGBT manadtory merit badges in order to promote to Eagle Scout.

I don't believe that. Parents of children won't sit on the sidelines when it comes to who influences them. There is only room for one agenda in Boy Scouts and that is making young men into leaders.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/09/12.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What part of "morally straight" and "duty to God" meshes with homosexuality?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
What part of "morally straight" and "duty to God" meshes with homosexuality?

You got that right. Tnhey'll prolly just figure out a new definition of "morally straight". blush

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Point is parents wont have a choice and will be forced to pull their boys out of scouts.

This is not about potential pedophiles, inclusion of gays in the BSA; this is a move to kill off the BSA by the left wing groups in the US.

Look at the same sex marriage ceremonies happening now on military bases.How does this affect our combat readiness, morale?

Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by ribka
Are you joking?

I don't believe that. Parents of children won't sit on the sidelines when it comes to who influences them. There is only room for one agenda in Boy Scouts and that is making young men into leaders.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I can see the new scout pledge: I promise to swallow at all times, always wear sunscreen in my foundation when i go outside, always bring a fresh towel to the bath house and never wear plaids and stripes together...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
These attacks will of course continue.

And if and when the BSA ever caves or is forced to cave, OF COURSE openly gay homosexual couples will make a point of forming scout troops to push the issue.

Or maybe not, I do believe the BSA would simply close themselves down and terminate the organization.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Contrary to what people think, there are a lot of folks who are gay who are involved in Scouting...I know of many here locally...

the big difference however, is they do not openly advertise it or act like it is a badge of honor...nor spend a lot of time calling attention to themselves over it...

I doubt if locally is any different than elsewhere nationwide...

So there is a lot of 'look the other way' attitudes.... most of the ones I know, serve in peripheral support roles, honoring the desires of BSA that it not be made open or public...

but of course radical liberals and the gay proud crowd act all offended when being gay and lesbian isn't glorified, or promoted as a legitimate acceptable life style in our society.....

and face it, well funded liberals are going to keep hammering at BSA, until they fold or they make BSA adapt to their radical ideas...

lets remember that the Gay/Lesbian crowds got the City of Philadelphia to out the age old lease on the Local Council HQ from $1 a year, to charging several million a year, the commercial value of the property...

Gay and Lesbian Radicals still would not back down when the Philly Council pointed out that would destroy their budget where they allowed 20 thousand plus underprivileged kids to go to summer camp for free...

The press sure covered that battle with favorable support for the Gay/Lesbian crowd...however when public press forced the city to return the $1 a year lease price to the BSA Council, so that all of these underprivileged interurban to go to camp...

However, the liberal media unceremoniously declined to cover the reversal of that decision at all, much less with the same enthusiasm...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (160user, 16gage, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 3,249 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,140
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.