Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wanted to run a few thoughts by you guys and get some ideas.I am still considering a starter deer gun for my 8 year old daughter.I have considered the three I will list below and the reasons for each.Low recoil and light weight are major concerns.Her LOP needs to be close to 12-3/4" and she can't even back a hammer on a Handi rifle by herself.

1.The Kimber Montana in 223. 5 lbs 6 o/z
This seems a great choice in every area except cost and the need to cut down the stock.Weight and recoil level is where I want to be.I do hate to cut down such an expensive stock with no after market options in stocks.

2.CZ 527 Carbine.223 and 5.8 lbs
Weight and price is not too bad.I'm hesitant because of the factory 1:12 twist,higher than necessary scope mounting for bolt clearence and lack of scope ring and mount options.The wood stock would be easy to shorten and make the gun just as light as the Kimber.

3.Ruger American 243. 6.25 lbs.
This is a new consideration mostly for the $339 price.It would be a lot less painful to cut the stock and paint it the pink camo she wants.I have also considered cutting recrowning the barrel to 18.5"-20".

How much weight do you guys think we would lose by cutting the stock for a 12-3/4" LOP? How much more by cutting the barrel?
Would the muzzel blast and recoil be excessive with reduced loads if we did such a modification?

PS
I also have a 3 year old son who will likely use the rifle at some point.I will however change the camo theme for him.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know it is not among your choices, but a good low-cost route would be the SPS Compact 700 youth models by Remington. Just went the roundabout way of doing one for my 7yr old, as hers is an SPS SS cut to 20" and put in an ADL Compact handle. LOP is about 12 1/4" with all the stock spacers removed. Looks a little funky with the big 1" stack of spacers in there for adult LOP, but it should be functional. Light package too. This one is 6lb 4oz with Talley alloy mounts. We're painting hers too.....

BTW, I'd go 243win if not a handloader. 7mm-08 if you do handload. (BassPro has these 20" models for $439-459 with no need for $$$ to cut/crown or cut stock)

Last edited by JPro; 06/22/12.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll save an ounce or two for each inch of barrel you cut.

I'd recommend the Kimber easily over the others although the CZ is awfully nice too.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I will second the Remington idea. The youth is pretty good go and when you want to change camo or have it grow the LOP, remington plastics stocks can be had for a song on ebay.

When the kids are grown, its a fine donor action, or drop it into a edge for nice handy LW.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd look at the Savage Trophy Hunter XP Youth which comes with a serviceable Nikon 3-9x40 and a 20" tube.

Also the Savage Lady Hunter with a 20" tube.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SORRY FOR THOUGHTS NOT ON YOUR LIST, HOW ABOUT REMMY MODEL 7 SYNTHECTIC BLUED....ALREADY A 20 INCH BARREL AND A THEY ARE A BUILT FOR SMALLER STATURES, AND AT $549-$579 IT IS NOT CHEAP BUT ALSO NOT THE $1150 FOR THE MONTANA OR $675 FOR THE CZ. NOTHING AGAINST THE RUGER, HOWEVER IF I WAS BUYING A $350 RIFLE, I WOULD BUY A MARLIN XS7. JMO LENNY

guns to me are like legal crack
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I went the Model 7 youth/compact (whatever they call it) route. The fit is perfect for Connor, my 7 year old, but I'm still a little concerned about the noise from shorter barrel. I figure plugs and muffs will go a long ways in that regard.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Id go for the ruger! Cost being a big factor and with a synthetic stock you can't beat that package for a childs first deer rifle. Only thing that would put that ruger over the top would be if they were stainless. But I'm biased my first deer rifle was a stainless synthetic ruger mkII .308. I beat that rifle to death dragging it around in brush. It's still my favorite to to rifle. The American rifle has had good reviews as far as accuracy, but it is a little heavy but it will be lighter with a 20" barrel and a shorter stock. Good luck with your choice. All three will be sweet. My suggestion would be to let your kids pick. Let them handle the guns maybe shoot the cals, and see what they think. It is going to be there rifle right. smile

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heavy? They weigh 6-1/4 lbs. That ain't heavy!

I vote Ruger American in 243 for the youngster. Slap on a 4x Leupy, sight her in, and go huntin'.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Another vote for the xs7 youth. Light and ready to go with some paint. Mine shoots better than any other factory centerfire I have ever owned.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
have 3 xl7s, 243, 25-06, and 270. all shoot under an inch when i do my part. have 4 model sevens, all but one is under moa with my loads, still working on the newest 7mm-08. have had lots of rugers... some of them shoot awesome, my tanger 257 is a .6 5 shot gun and some have gone away because they are not that great. just my thoughts, lenny

guns to me are like legal crack
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The American is not a youth model , so the LOP will need to be shortened . Hollow synthetic stocks are a PITA to shorten that much . Wood stocks , no sweat , but they're heavier . Brownells sells a youth pad with shorter screw spacing .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If im buying my 8 yr old a rifle, it would be a bridge. Something cheap to get them to 10-12 and a real gun. Try a h&r, cut the stock, and let her go at it. Your son needs his on gun when he gets ready...it causes complexes getting hand me downs...So my younger bro tells me...

If your close to s.e. al I might donate the h&r 7/08...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shortening a hollow synthetic isn't that hard, cut to desired length with a new recoil pad thickness figured in. get a piece of 1x4 lumber and cut/grind/sand to fit inside the stock. Epoxy in place and screw new recoil pad on. Grind to fit. I did this to my wife's rifle and it's worked flawlessly.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
AuNate
That is a very generous offer.She can't even cock the hammer on one of the Handi rifles though by herself.I am very humbled by the offer but some other child might get better use of it.Thank you very much for your generosity.

I feel sure I can shorten the stock.Cheesy...I was thinking along thoes lines but I have all thickness micarta and dymondwood from knife making.Good to know about the shortened hole spaced pads though.

My thanks to everyone,for the additional suggestions.I will try to looks at them all.I have taken her to one gun shop so far but they had a very limited selection of youth sized rifles.

On a trip today I saw a Ruger compact 223.Size looked great but weight wasn't much lighter than some other standard size rifles.I also got to handle a CZ 527.I am still looking and saving for the purchase.I'll let you guys know what we decide on.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Heavy? They weigh 6-1/4 lbs. That ain't heavy!

I vote Ruger American in 243 for the youngster. Slap on a 4x Leupy, sight her in, and go huntin'.

i mean heavy compared to the other two choices listed by the op.

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are heavy ... But weatherby vanguards come in a youth package and also come with full sized stock (or they did)

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
She did try a Weatherby Vanguard youth but couldn't hold it up well in a standing position. I think the length of the barrel and weight distribution of the longer barrel had a lot to do with it.She could handle the short barrel Handi youth models fairly well.She just couldn't cock the hammer.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Another vote for the xs7 youth. Light and ready to go with some paint. Mine shoots better than any other factory centerfire I have ever owned.

3+

Thats what I bot for my oldest grandson too (.243). Nice big cushy recoil pad and a pretty accurate little rig. An older Leuy VXIII 1-5 balances it off very nicely and its still light. He LUVES that little rifle.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
She did try a Weatherby Vanguard youth but couldn't hold it up well in a standing position. I think the length of the barrel and weight distribution of the longer barrel had a lot to do with it.

I was going to suggest one of these as well. We have one in .223. It came with a spacer to lengthen the stock when needed. The barrel on ours is only 20 inches...I was a bit suprised when you mentioned a "longer barrel".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (300jimmy, 2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 51 invisible), 1,774 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.