Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A Ruger Compact was my son's first rifle (a 7-08) and at 10 years old it was perfect for him, and he is definitely small for his age.

It was easy to handload 120 gr. bullets down for him and the muzzle blast was never a problem.

Having the shooter handle the rifles and letting them pick certainly is the way to go though. Having a rifle they are comfortable with makes all the difference.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ruger Americans on sale at Wholesale Sports this 4th of July weekend. $249! At that price you can get another full size stock 5yrs from now and still be ahead of the game. Good luck.

http://us.wholesalesports.com/storefront/template-resources/pdf/US4thofJulyFlyer2012_Lowres.pdf

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the CZ carbine, has a stock with more LOP or at least it feels that way because of the drop in comb. it actually fits me well, a kid, not so much. if you shorten the stock it would work. the ruger american, they put a really thin barrel on that gun, I wish it was more along with lines of what tikka has.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get the Rem Model 7 youth version that is currently available.

You will over time regret all the other options that you have listed so far, save for the Kimber (which is the way to go if money is not short). Why start the kid with crap, knowing that they will want to get something else as soon as they know better??? Try to get the kids something that they will be proud to own, useful, and which they can keep for the rest of their lives. No eventual gun loony ever runs around rejoicing that they got to start out with a Handi, a Stevens, a Marlin, a low-blow Ruger, etc!

"There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it again."

In fact, why not cough up the cash for something like a used Kimber Classic 223 from Oregon. Your family will be passing that thing down to your great-grandkids.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
An expensive gun doesn't make sense for an 8-year old.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm fairly set on the Kimber Montana in 223,though I've been looking into a Ruger 77/357 just because the weight is so close and we won't be shooting over 100 yards anyway.At half the price of the Kimber it is tempting but I don't think it is nearly as refined and I'm not nearly as excited about buying the Ruger for her.

DakotaDeer
I agree with you about getting something she can be proud of and continue to use all her life.When looked at in that light,it is a fairly small investment.

pal
I agree with you as well,but only as far as not getting something they can easily destroy.That is the reason I won't go with fancy walnut or extra emblishments like on my Sako Forrester Deluxe.I think the stainless synthetic Kimber should hold up as well as a cheap rifle to abuse.Even if it is treated rough,some flitz,epoxy and paint,should put it back in shape.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Within reason I wouldn't worry too much about weight. Set her up with some shooting sticks and she will be fine.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I still own and use the first gun I bought myself when I was 10.

And the second gun I bought when I was 11.

Sold my third gun, purchased at 14, to my brother.

Still use the fourth gun that I bought when I was 16, and the plan is to give it to my oldest son when he hits that age.

Let's see--I think there was two or three in there that I got rid of that I bought as soon as I turned 18.

Still use my main rifle that I bought when I was 24 and just graduated college.

Point is--starting with junk isn't where it's at. If someone is too poor to afford anything else, then I can see the need there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,251 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.