Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tisha
No! out here, if in the woods, which is most of the time when hunting, 50 yards a LONG way away.. have a friend though who does, and he said (he walks and stops, and walks and stops, and spots when stopped), he's seen a few deer near trees, etc he wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Our methods differ for hunting similar situations. I use binoculars as much or more when stillhunting thick woods as I do in the open. We hunt wet rain forest jungle, and agree that 50 yards is a Loooong view! You can roll the focus in and out with binos and see way back into brush and thick stuff many times better.

While calling blacktails I caught a tiny flicker out of the corner of my eye. With binos I could clearly see a buck and count his tines as he sneaked in behind a wall of brush 20-25 yards from me. When he stopped I could not see him at all with naked eye, and when he moved, I would catch glimpses of unidentified motion. Same with a called lion: could see the cougar easily with binos through a screen of brush he hid behind. Could not see him at all with naked eyes. I spotted him by scanning into the edge of brush with binos or would never have seen him at all. Was that a bird movment or a deer ear? Binos will ID it. Try it! smile

I also use binos focused up close when blood trailing bears in thick brush, tracing the trail ahead, checking every dark spot to see if it is bear hair, as close as six feet sometimes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes

Enjoy everything.......expect nothing.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Nope ! Not in my 45 years of hunting. Not trying to be different but it's just me. Spot & stalk type hunting and never needed them when in thick hemlock swamp or open hardwoods. Maybe if I hunted a large track of open country then I would use them.

Ken

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by firearms44
Nope ! Not in my 45 years of hunting. Not trying to be different but it's just me. Spot & stalk type hunting and never needed them when in thick hemlock swamp or open hardwoods. Maybe if I hunted a large track of open country then I would use them.

Ken

Almost everything I hunt is thick. The bino's are so useful when still hunting for seeing deer before they see me. In thick stuff they allow you to see through and pick out details of bedded deer...details you can't see with the naked eye. Give them a try, they will change the way you hunt.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by firearms44

Ken

Almost everything I hunt is thick. The bino's are so useful when still hunting for seeing deer before they see me. In thick stuff they allow you to see through and pick out details of bedded deer...details you can't see with the naked eye. Give them a try, they will change the way you hunt.

And the way, and what, ya get to eat too 'eh JCM? laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes

Very thick where I hunt and a good pair of 6x binos are a huge help.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, 6x & 8x

Regards,Steve
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Show of hands, how many hunt with pants on?

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
Show of hands, how many hunt with pants on?

Me, unless i have a bucket of raisin bran for breakfast eek laugh

A REAL [forgetful] hunter has shown back up at camp wearing only one sock or no BVD's sick leaves suck laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes; Swarovski SLC 8X30's and B&L 8X42's.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nope. my binos have crosshairs... grin

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't let that bother you. Most of us did the same thing.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
No. I'm in south Georgia in thick woods. Nothing is ever more than 100 yards away, and is usually a good deal closer (sorry for everything beyond "No").

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GA270
No. I'm in south Georgia in thick woods. Nothing is ever more than 100 yards away, and is usually a good deal closer (sorry for everything beyond "No").

Betcha five bucks you would see more deer in the thick woods with binos than without. laugh No practical way to run a test but wish we could.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by rifle
Well,it appears that for many reasons,most do "carry and hunt" with binoculars of some kind or power.
The count of those responding YES appears to be 80+ at this point.
Considering this is a holiday week and a lot of our people on vacation,we may have a low vote.However, no one said they did not or challenged the concept....

My own little hunt club came up to about 90% of those that returned emails.
Thanks for the time guys,this was interesting

You will get no meaningful statistical data from responses on this board. There approximately 40,000 members on this forum if my count is correct and all are obsessive about hunting and/or guns by normal standards. There are over 1 million hunting licenses sold on average just in PA alone every year and they only care how grandpa did it 40 years ago or by what they see on TV. Ringman is not defending it, he is simply stating what the MASS majority of eastern hunters do. And he is correct. I travel all over the country with the military and my job and hunt a lot everywhere I go. In general people do not use or have binoculars and they "glass" with their scope. Like it or not it is the truth.

That is the problem with most forums/groups and discussions. They think that what their group is doing (good or bad) is representative of the whole. Sometimes it is but often times not.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes.

You don't realize how much you use them, even in thick stuff. If you hunt with people on the same plot of land or on public land it's dangerously negligent not to. You owe it to other hunters and yourself to do so.

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by rifle
Well,it appears that for many reasons,most do "carry and hunt" with binoculars of some kind or power.
The count of those responding YES appears to be 80+ at this point.
Considering this is a holiday week and a lot of our people on vacation,we may have a low vote.However, no one said they did not or challenged the concept....

My own little hunt club came up to about 90% of those that returned emails.
Thanks for the time guys,this was interesting

You will get no meaningful statistical data from responses on this board. There approximately 40,000 members on this forum if my count is correct and all are obsessive about hunting and/or guns by normal standards. There are over 1 million hunting licenses sold on average just in PA alone every year and they only care how grandpa did it 40 years ago or by what they see on TV. Ringman is not defending it, he is simply stating what the MASS majority of eastern hunters do. And he is correct. I travel all over the country with the military and my job and hunt a lot everywhere I go. In general people do not use or have binoculars and they "glass" with their scope. Like it or not it is the truth.

That is the problem with most forums/groups and discussions. They think that what their group is doing (good or bad) is representative of the whole. Sometimes it is but often times not.

Ok,so do I get a YES OR NO from how you hunt?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (257 roberts, 260Remguy, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 257Bob, 50 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,595
Posts18,511,270
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.