Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
.Got here late.You got a learning curve ahead of you.Most trainable dog I ever had is Shadow my GSD.Her name describes her.They have a lot to learn but learn easily.Shadow was so possessive at first.She would protect me from everyone.She had a lot to learn but got very smart fast.You got to teach them their place,that is their job.Hope you like dog hair.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I has a GS once. She was OK but nothing to write home about personalty/smarts wise. My mother in law has a purebred shepherd now and I hate the [bleep]' thing with a purple passion. If it wasn't hers, I'd kill it with a rock in a heartbeat without a second thought. The best thing about that dog is I just got a mongrel half breed beagle/pitt cross that loves to beat the schitt out of it at every opportunity and it's funny as hell watching that stupid shepherd TRY to dominate Bubba over and over and get it's ass kicked over and over.

I've been around quite a few GS and find them to be really intelligent, protective and loyal dogs. But then again, every breed spits out a clunker now and then. Especially humans.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I has a GS once. She was OK but nothing to write home about personalty/smarts wise. My mother in law has a purebred shepherd now and I hate the [bleep]' thing with a purple passion. If it wasn't hers, I'd kill it with a rock in a heartbeat without a second thought. The best thing about that dog is I just got a mongrel half breed beagle/pitt cross that loves to beat the schitt out of it at every opportunity and it's funny as hell watching that stupid shepherd TRY to dominate Bubba over and over and get it's ass kicked over and over.

I've been around quite a few GS and find them to be really intelligent, protective and loyal dogs. But then again, every breed spits out a clunker now and then. Especially humans.
Whatcha tryin' ta say there [bleep] boy ? Don't be shy now, spit it out.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Been drinkin' again Blackheart?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yessir, but I still know when I'm being insulted by an inferior being on my worst day. Drunk or sober I don't much care for shepherds.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We always had a GSD when we were growing up.
One in particular the founder and chief trainer for the NZ police dog squad wanted to breed, he about kicked dad in the nuts when we told him she was spayed, it was a requirement in our town to own a dog that they had to be desexed, he said if we had shown her to him when she was a pup he'd have personally written an exemption for her.
She was a smart dog, she used to share her biscuits with my horse and would mother any new born animal no matter what it was. She also got us in trouble because she'd take fruit out of the fruit bowl, bite a piece out and eat it then put the rest back.
We had her chained to her kennel one night when she was 6 months old, the kennel was 4 foot high, 6 foot long and 3 foot wide solid wood. Someone tried syphoning gas out of mums car and the dog dragged that kennel across 20 feet of concrete so she could get out the gate and near the car.
Another night we had a bunch of wannabe tough guys partying on the sidewalk and causing a ruckus, they'd already broken the neighbors fence when dad went out to see what was going on. The neighbor was on his front porch with a golf club telling them where to go and one of these guys was trying to sneak up our drive to come up on his blindside. Dad spotted him, told the dog to get him and let the dog go, there was one bark, one scream and a trail of blood down the drive. The guys scattered and left their beer laying.
She lived to be almost 20 when her hips gave out.

A GOOD GSD is about the best dog you can have, as long as YOU make sure you're the boss.

Dad is now involved in the police dog puppy rearing scheme here, they adopt a puppy and raise it till it is old enough to go into training. The police pay for all the costs and you have to provide a disciplined and caring home for the pup.
They are also part of the breeding scheme where you are given a dog to care for till she is due to be bred, then they are passed on to the breeding center.

The original international turd
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As with any high energy and powerful breed, make sure that the pack leaders are ready to assert dominance on the dog. I know this has been said several times, but I just don't think you can underestimate the importance of a strong pack leader(s). Being able to read the dog is paramount as they will have no trouble reading yours.

It helps to have a booming voice too. wink

Last edited by Jeffrey; 07/06/12.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
As with any high energy and powerful breed, make sure that the pack leaders are ready to assert dominance on the dog. I know this has been said several times, but I just don't think you can underestimate the importance of a strong pack leader(s). Being able to read the dog is paramount as they will have no trouble reading yours.

It helps to have a booming voice too. wink
A properly applied frozen pear to the forehead works wonders too. The MIL'S stupid mutt cowers whenever I look at her crosseyed ever since then. She still tries to dominate eveyone and everything else in her realm constantly though. It will end up being the death of her if she ever pushes Bubba too hard when nobody's around to pull him off and she just ain't smart enough to realize it.

JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Litter of 6. 7 weeks old.

Daughter absolutely unbending on wanting a male. Daughter thinks girls "smell".

Runt and lazy one went back in the crate. The lone female was gone on our second visit. Fuzzy, long haired pup (hair irritating eyes!) went back in the crate. Of the two remaining, suitable pups, daughter picked on chemistry.

Momma half blonde with black saddle. Dad almost full sable. Momma very friendly and mellow and three years old. She was pretty long and lean looking but that may have been due to milking out. I would guess she weighs 60-70 pounds but guessing GS weights is not something I am that great at.

We saw the dad but did not interact with him based on owner not wanting to take the trouble to introduce us. I saw him through the window. He was a good barker. He is 4 years old. It is hard to estimate his weight because I did not get my hands on him. He seemed to be 'standard issue' for height.

Major miss was lack of hip X-rays. I may regret that but two parents looked OK at 3 and 4 years of age.

These are not working dog lines.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Yessir, but I still know when I'm being insulted by an inferior being on my worst day. Drunk or sober I don't much care for shepherds.

I was agreeing with you, but if you wanna' go and create a pizzing match on someone's happy thread over a misunderstanding, maybe you're the inferior [bleep].

Apologies to JoeMama for any discontent I have created.

Last edited by bruinruin; 07/06/12. Reason: spelled OP's name wrong

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Daughter has had several over the years and one Belgian Mal, all have been GREAT dogs, very loyal and protective. The Mal and two others were working police K9 dogs, the rest very nice pets and smart as a whip.

Hope ya have many years of enjoyment out of that good looking pup Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I was agreeing with you, but if you wanna' go and create a pizzing match on someone's happy thread over a misunderstanding, maybe you're the inferior [bleep].

Apologies to Joe mama for any discontent I have created.
Sorry then sir, guess I misunderstood. My sincere apologies.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
No problem. After rereading my OP, the last line in particular, I can see how it could have been taken the wrong way. No harm, no foul. smile

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
GSD's want to learn their place.They want to know their job.They want the owner to teach them where their place in the family is.This is their identity.Its the owners job to supply this.They will look to you for it.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
No problem. After rereading my OP, the last line in particular, I can see how it could have been taken the wrong way. No harm, no foul. smile
Thank's, you're obviously a man of good character !

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jdm953
GSD's want to learn their place.They want to know their job.They want the owner to teach them where their place in the family is.This is their identity.Its the owners job to supply this.They will look to you for it.
I do realize that much of what I find objectionable in my MIL's shepherds behavior is her fault due to lack of proper discipline/training. Still, I find shepherds tiresome due to their high strung and dominating nature.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You are right.Without a leader they would be a mess and not happy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great dogs. Highly intelligent and a great companion, I still miss my last one but have held off getting another until I get a place with a little more running room for it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I feel for you.Companion is the right word.Shadow lies down next to my chair.She walks me to the door when I leave and waits.She sleeps on the floor next to my bed ect.If I am asleep she will lay there awake till Im up.If any movement or sound she has a very low growl telling me to wake up.My sister visited for a while and told me how Shadow was when I was asleep.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think the shepherd dogs are great. I have had the Belgians in the Tervuren and Sheepdog varieties. I have had three so far, two Sheepdogs and one Tervuren. I go for the long coats due to the harsh winters up high in the Colorado Rockies. One of my old Belgian Sheepdogs was at home and having my neighbor feed him when I was on business travel. I got home to find that a window was totally pushed in frame and all. It was found by my neighbor the next day. A bear had tried to claw open the window (claw marks in the wood) then bashed the window in. My Belgian sheep dog certainly kept the bear out since it never got inside. Shadow is gone now, but I have a female Sheepdog and a male Tervuren. Here is the male, Larsen. He is very suspicious of strangers, but I can command him to sit if needed.

[Linked Image]

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,894
Posts18,479,213
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.