Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
So here is my situation. Primarily a bow hunter that currently has the Alaskan guide pack that I picked up at the bargain cave a couple of years ago. Packed out an elk with no issues. But its heavy and was not what I wanted, I just can't say no to a good deal. But as a backpack bow hunter, we have a lot of gear and our bow is in our hands at all time. After the harvest, I like or think everyone should be using sticks to help stabilize their hike out over the rough terrain. You all know how tired you are and need the sticks to keep you from stumbling and fumbling. Its time to buy a new pack and I'm looking at all the high dollar ones and read your very informative threads.

To buy a pack that could haul out, or buy a good pack for hunting is my question. My last pack out went like this. After tagging I took my bow and started to head to the truck, only 3 miles to drop off my bow and switch out packs and use the hualer. No bid deal right. I would rather use sticks to help me walk out then to fall down with my bow in my hand. This was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. An extra trip to save my knees and protect my bow.

So in your opinion, taking out that I'm not going to be doing any billy goat hunting, would you spend the money on a new pack that has the capabilities of handling large loads, or spend the money on one that is lighter?

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'd look seriously at the Eberlestock Blue Widow. Very versatile and holds a bow well, functions as a day pack in and a hauler going out.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have a Mystery Ranch NICE frame, Longbow bag and Load Sling for sale.

PM me if you are interested.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Same problem - can't pass a good deal, and can't decide which is the way to go. I bought a Badlands OX with the bag and frame. Rational was that I could use one for traveling/camping, and drop the pack for the frame for (hopefully) hauling out the kill. Most likely, the pack will be with me, and the frame will be at base camp. I don't have an issues hauling the first load (most likely a light one) out on the bag, and the frame will be waiting when I get to the camp to swap out. The bag has bow straps/bucket and can free up you hands for sticks, grabs, etc.

The Blue Widow was an option, a buddy has one and swears by it. Blacks Creek has several models that expand from a day pack to a hauler with mesh panels for air and heat release, they are good quality IMO.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I didn't like the BW for meat loads and its heavy for a daypack. My buddy has one that we put about 90# of elk in and could not keep the meat from balling up in the bottom of the pack- sack of potatoes. Heck, my old Kelty was better than that.

If you are an average size guy there are many options just depends on your price range. Almost any of the current mountaineering packs from say REI or some of the Kifaru or MR packs will feel like heaven compared to that Alaskan you have. I finally bought a custom and am glad I did.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Horn Hunter Full Curl! Hauls weight great, US made, rides great while bow hunting. I have seen them on the discount sites for as low as $175. Love mine!

https://sophuntinggear.com/Products...talogItemDetails/psmid/1977/Default.aspx

Good Shooting!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.