Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
To preface, I did thoroughly use the search function. Which led me down many rabbit-holes of research about larger calibers to use for brown/grizzly bears in Alaska. However not all of my questions have been answered.

I am looking into getting a rifle in the late future (12-16 months). Primarily to be used for large bears in AK. I currently have and love a rem700 in 7mm-08 (Mc Millan, leupold 3.5-9,Douglas barrel, cerakoted) which will do about anything I need. Such as deer, elk, moose, sheep, goat,and black bears. Though I don't feel it has enough oomph for the large species.

My research led me into looking at several different calibers, 35 Remington (Rem Mohawk), 350 Remington Magnum (Rem Mohawk), 300 Win mag, .338 Win Mag, .338-06, 35 Whelen, 375 H&H, and a few others. While these are all to me, suitable choices I have a few caveats which make the decision a bit more difficult.
Firstly I am a smaller framed individual, (5'10 and 150 pounds on a good day) though I am in good physical shape having the vigor of youth, recoil is something I need to be conscious of. I would much rather have a rifle I am comfortable and confident with, rather than a flinch inducing cannon. While at the same time not having to trade off weight for reduced recoil. Hopefully keeping the weight around 7.5# if realistic. Another restriction is that I would prefer not to have a muzzle-break, as I very much enjoy my hearing and ear-plugs in the field are just not realistic to me.
In addition, I do not reload so I am limited somewhat there as well. Though my father does heavily, and I'm sure with the proper motivation (New dies and lapua brass)he would be happy to load up a few piles of ammo.

Also I know that some larger calibers, while having large projectiles, compromise power for distance. I would like to see an acceptable range for animals out to 350-400 yards.

Any recommendations for an appropriate tool for the job?
I would likely get a mcmillan stock for it, get it coated, and drop a leupy or zeiss on it. My preference is for older remington 700. Though a winchester is not out of the question; and I have heard good things about the Kimber 84m here on the forum.

Thank you for the advice!

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
George:

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my hunting clients; bring the gun that you're most familiar with and have the most confidence in.

Your tried-and-true Remington model 700 is plenty sufficient for interior mountain grizzly and/or coastal Alaska brown bear. I've had clients who shot both species with far less.

However, if you're just itching to buy a new gun and if you're recoil sensitive, I'd go with a .375 Holland & Holland. The Holland has mild recoil for it's immense size and a 300 grain bullet in that caliber has about the same trajectory as a .30-06, so down-range shots (300-400 yards) aren't all that problematic.

Mav

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have heard that the .375 H&H is the "Gold-Standard" for stopping power in AK. Having lived there for 6 1/2 years, I saw my fair share of them. It is also my understanding that the recoil is a soft-push rather than a sharp-jab like the .338 WinMag. Correct?

I would be comfortable using my current rifle, and while I believe it can do the job given proper shot placement I am a little leery about its stopping power close-up.

While I am not itching to get another rifle, I like most men do see some excitement in the endeavor. If a new rifle were to come about, are there any weight recommendations you might be able to make? I shouldn't be looking to sit at 6 pounds and change. Closer to 7-8 seems right, but having not shot one I don't know.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
I have heard that the .375 H&H is the "Gold-Standard" for stopping power in AK. Having lived there for 6 1/2 years, I saw my fair share of them. It is also my understanding that the recoil is a soft-push rather than a sharp-jab like the .338 WinMag. Correct?

I would be comfortable using my current rifle, and while I believe it can do the job given proper shot placement I am a little leery about its stopping power close-up.

While I am not itching to get another rifle, I like most men do see some excitement in the endeavor. If a new rifle were to come about, are there any weight recommendations you might be able to make? I shouldn't be looking to sit at 6 pounds and change. Closer to 7-8 seems right, but having not shot one I don't know.

Well, the thing to remember is to take your time and get close and make a good shot the first time around, so you won't be forced to take care of things when they're right in your face.

But, if you're more than a little apprehensive about using the caliber you now have, then I'd use something considerably larger. Nevertheless, the caliber you currently have on-hand - the one you mentioned at the outset - will certainly do the job under normal brown/grizzly bear hunting situations.

in terms of rifle weight, that's not much of an issue when it comes to brown/grizzly bear hunting. However, spring hunting is typically more strenuous than hunting in the fall. Even still, the average factory weight of a production rifle (7-1/2 pounds - sans scope, sling and ammo) isn't too heavy when on a typical brown/grizzly bear hunt.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A 7mm08 for bear in alaska? You have got to be kidding me. Any guide or hunting partner who would let you use that ought to have their license yanked. Beause its their life chasing a wounded bear into the alder. Or the next hunter who gets mauled by the wounded bear you leave in the woods. If they let you use it its because they intend to shoot at the same time with their .460 and do the job right. The .375 is old school meaning its probably the best all around bear gun you will hear guides talk about in the 40 years I have been here. The 45-70 is nice too since you have all that history of buffalo and indian hunting to reminisce about. Recoil is a mute point in this day and age with the quality of recoil pads which can take the pain away. We had a number of guys asking for help tracking their wounded bears on the Alaska forum because of poor caliber choice and poor shooting. Take enough gun.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sollybug
A 7mm08 for bear in alaska? You have got to be kidding me. Any guide or hunting partner who would let you use that ought to have their license yanked. Beause its their life chasing a wounded bear into the alder. Or the next hunter who gets mauled by the wounded bear you leave in the woods. If they let you use it its because they intend to shoot at the same time with their .460 and do the job right. The .375 is old school meaning its probably the best all around bear gun you will hear guides talk about in the 40 years I have been here. The 45-70 is nice too since you have all that history of buffalo and indian hunting to reminisce about. Recoil is a mute point in this day and age with the quality of recoil pads which can take the pain away. We had a number of guys asking for help tracking their wounded bears on the Alaska forum because of poor caliber choice and poor shooting. Take enough gun.

Such nonsense.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Knowing the 7mm08 would do the job, I am still apprehensive as to its stopping power. It does have killing power, but stop-right-there power I don't think so. Having known family members who have tracked wounded grizzlies through alders, I understand it is a stressful experience to say the least. Though on the flip side, I know that a 375 H&H with good shot placement is no guarantee of an immediate kill; bears are amazing creatures.

That is good to know that weight won't be a large issue with the H&H. Any advice as to action/barrel? Off-hand I'm thinking an old 'A' series prefix R700 LA and screwing on a new tube.

Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Knowing the 7mm08 would do the job, I am still apprehensive as to its stopping power. It does have killing power, but stop-right-there power I don't think so. Having known family members who have tracked wounded grizzlies through alders, I understand it is a stressful experience to say the least. Though on the flip side, I know that a 375 H&H with good shot placement is no guarantee of an immediate kill; bears are amazing creatures.

That is good to know that weight won't be a large issue with the H&H. Any advice as to action/barrel? Off-hand I'm thinking an old 'A' series prefix R700 LA and screwing on a new tube.

Thanks

Yeah, you would probably feel a little under-gunned with the necked down version and when following up a wounded b/g bear in dense foliage. Of the 200 or so b/g bears that I've been responsible for, I've had to go in after 7. It's pretty exciting, to say the least.

Anyway, I recommend a bolt action, of course. The precise manufacturer is pretty much up to the individual, though. There again, it's a matter of familiarity and confidence. If you like Remington actions and know them well, then that's what you should stick with.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wow, 200 bears! Would love to read that book...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sollybug

Guess I need to turn in my license then as this spring I allowed two of my brown bear hunters to bring a .270 Win and another a 7 mm Rem.
I was not the least bit surprised that their large boars died just as quickly as the ones shot by the other hunters with a 300 Win, 35 Whelen and a 340 Wby .
Of course they all could shoot and actually hit the bear in the vitals on the first shot.

The only wounded bear I had to chase was from a hunter who was using 9.3x62 ( which is legal in most African countries for elephant and I know from experience is just as lethal as the 375 on big bears)

George, while the 7/08 would not be my first choice for a big bear rifle - with good bullets and adequate shot placement it will work. My recommendation has always been anything with the power level of a 30-06 or up --THAT YOU CAN SHOOT WELL.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win

Guess I need to turn in my license then as this spring I allowed two of my brown bear hunters to bring a .270 Win and another a 7 mm Rem.

I would feel more at ease given that extra oomph of a 7mm, as opposed to a necked down case. A rough/quick look at numbers yields slightly heavier projectiles and about 500 extra lbs of force at muzzle while an extra 500 or so at about 200 yrds. (Again a rough estimate comparing 140gr 7mm08 to 175gr 7mm RemMag)

Also Phil, I checked out your website. Looks like you are living in paradise. I didn't see any financial information for costs of hunts, and the old add-age of 'if you have to ask....'. Perhaps this would be better discussed over email?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a photo of the hunter from Colorado who used his 270 with 150 partitions. The den is right behind the hunter. Notice how far the bear traveled after receiving two quick hits tight behind the shoulder.

[Linked Image]

If you want to discuss a bear hunt in the future e-mail is the best. Or PM me

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice looking bear there! Good to see a .270 handling the job nicely. I can't wait to get out and about it AK again. Just a different kind of hunting up there.

Also will shoot you an email this afternoon.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Use Rem 700 Titanium in 7/08 loaded with 140 G Nosler Partitions for sheep . Carry a few 160 G Nosler partitions for bear. If, If, and if have time to load 'em up.
Most important in my mind as the pros above stated . Know yer gun.
My first choice for bear is Winchester 71 in .450 Alaskan. Or there abouts.
Cisco

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
To preface, I did thoroughly use the search function. Which led me down many rabbit-holes of research about larger calibers to use for brown/grizzly bears in Alaska. However not all of my questions have been answered.

I am looking into getting a rifle in the late future (12-16 months). Primarily to be used for large bears in AK. I currently have and love a rem700 in 7mm-08 (Mc Millan, leupold 3.5-9,Douglas barrel, cerakoted) which will do about anything I need. Such as deer, elk, moose, sheep, goat,and black bears. Though I don't feel it has enough oomph for the large species.

My research led me into looking at several different calibers, 35 Remington (Rem Mohawk), 350 Remington Magnum (Rem Mohawk), 300 Win mag, .338 Win Mag, .338-06, 35 Whelen, 375 H&H, and a few others. While these are all to me, suitable choices I have a few caveats which make the decision a bit more difficult.
Firstly I am a smaller framed individual, (5'10 and 150 pounds on a good day) though I am in good physical shape having the vigor of youth, recoil is something I need to be conscious of. I would much rather have a rifle I am comfortable and confident with, rather than a flinch inducing cannon. While at the same time not having to trade off weight for reduced recoil. Hopefully keeping the weight around 7.5# if realistic. Another restriction is that I would prefer not to have a muzzle-break, as I very much enjoy my hearing and ear-plugs in the field are just not realistic to me.
In addition, I do not reload so I am limited somewhat there as well. Though my father does heavily, and I'm sure with the proper motivation (New dies and lapua brass)he would be happy to load up a few piles of ammo.

Also I know that some larger calibers, while having large projectiles, compromise power for distance. I would like to see an acceptable range for animals out to 350-400 yards.

Any recommendations for an appropriate tool for the job?
I would likely get a mcmillan stock for it, get it coated, and drop a leupy or zeiss on it. My preference is for older remington 700. Though a winchester is not out of the question; and I have heard good things about the Kimber 84m here on the forum.

Thank you for the advice!

If you love it and shoot it really well in all positions why don't you just use what you have with a premium bullet? Sure it is nice to have a bigger bullet going downrange, but in the end placement will be near everything.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do enjoy my current rifle, and am quite comfortable in its operation. I don't want to use the event as as excuse for a new tool, but I do wish to use whatever will give me the highest chance of success.

Perhaps the 7-08 will indeed do the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle used: Winchester M70 300 H&H Magnum.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You are going to be shooting large bears at 350 to 400 yards?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Royce
You are going to be shooting large bears at 350 to 400 yards?

Preferably not. But, on extremely rare occasions a hunter makes a bad hit and the next thing you know the bear is quickly out there at 300+ and putting a hell of a lot of distance between himself and whoever stung him. A relatively flat shooting caliber makes those rare instances a little less problematic than they already are.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Very good point, and very true- I use the same philosophy on my hunting rifles.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257_X_50, 35, afisher, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 828 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.