Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good morning, Phil.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I carry my .375 Whitworth for all the same reasons you carry your .458 Winchester. Following up wounded bears is tricky business. In fact, so tricky, that only once have I taken a client in with me. Otherwise, I just do it myself, so I don't have to babysit someone or worry about myself being shot.

And unless a potential client just can't live without bringing his super-duper mega-velocity magnum or quasi "elephant gun", I always advise customers to bring the gun and the load that they know the best and can shoot the most effectively (accurately). I've had guys kill brown/grizzly bears with everything from .243 Winchesters on up to .460 Weatherbys and they all worked sufficiently when conditions were right and when the first bullet was placed where it was supposed to be.

You can pretty much tell or determine a potential client's seriousness about hunting Alaska game in the first few minutes of a conversation. Generally, when the conversation turns to "what type of gun do I need", you can pretty much weed out the sincere clients from the tire-kickers. A hunter who's sincere about going bear hunting will listen to practical advice without debate and then go on a bear hunt.

Again, the basic bottom line on rifles and cartridges for anyone who's seriously considering a brown/grizzly hunt to the Far North, is to choose any of the bolt-action manufacturers and any one of a number of adequate calibers and just go bear hunting. Everything else is just talk.

Mav

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wanted to take a moment and thank all of you for your informative, and wise advice. It's good to know from those that have been-there-done-that what works. If a 30-06 will work, hopefully I can get it a trim and fit 6.5# ready to rock. Now I just need move on back up to AK grin

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no problem getting a .30-06 in the neighborhood of the weight you're seeking.

but you will know when you touch off a 180 grainer in it!

still a good choice for a multi purpose rifle imo, though never having owned one myself it's the caliber I steered my oldest boy towards when he got his first big game centerfire rifle (I'd already gotten him a bolt action .223, trigger time, trigger time, trigger time)

everything boils down to compromise, you're apt to spend a bunch of money getting your .30-06 down to the weight you desire and then find you have a custom rifle that while a joy to carry is not much fun to shoot. Everyone's recoil sensitivity varies.

I'd be inclined to buy a stock rifle, either Tikka (some don't care for the detachable box mag) or one of the Win featherweights and not have a lot of money tied up in the rifle, but that's just me (who owns a NULA) speaking of if you really want a light wt. '06 a call to Melvin might just be in order

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
...--buy a SS 30/06 and go hunting.

I've said it before and will make the same offer again.

I'll bet a cold Pepsi wink more brown bears have been killed by the '06 than by the next two most popular calibers combined.
..........You`re probably 100% right. But regardless, personal preferences do vary with not all siding towards using a 30-06 as a first preference for big bears.

Personal preferences aside, the point being it has/does/will work.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing, and probably purely subjective, is comfort level.

Obviously one has to have spent some time in bear country with a certain arm to find out whether it instills said comfort.

To me it starts with a .30-06 and 180 TSX Bullets. It was what I had next to me when I took this pic -

[Linked Image]

I have also carried a .308 Win (Savage 99) with C&Cs and did not fancy that too much.

9,3x64 with 286 gr. TSX DWM - worked

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You`re probably 100% right. But regardless, personal preferences do vary with not all siding towards using a 30-06 as a first preference for big bears.

[/quote]
Personal preferences aside, the point being it has/does/will work.
[/quote].........Of course the 30-06 has, is, and will do the job on the big bears. Never stated it wouldn`t or couldn`t.

But when one has a 375 Ruger and a 338-378 Wby additionally to choose from, either one will get big bear duty before my 300 WSM.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes and, how many miles must I carry my gun? Through country teeming with bears?

Yes and, how many bear with said gun must I shoot? Just to see and to know, that its good?

Oh, how many nights must I spent in a tent? With bears spending it outside?

The answer, my friend, is typed on the 'fire, the answer is typed on the 'fire.

To the tune of "How many roads..."

And let not those who can not walk, or hold a tune, or never spent a night in bear country be discouraged...

Last edited by cmg; 07/13/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

If you're going to be indoors, then them being outside is preferable, right?

[/quote]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most definetly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, me too. Only once have I ever had one enter a tent, but thank goodness I wasn't around at the time. Had a bunch of them stroll right next to tents over the years, but only once had one decide that it was going to see what was inside.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by cmg
Yes and, how many miles must I carry my gun? Through country teeming with bears?

Yes and, how many bear with said gun must I shoot? Just to see and to know, that its good?

The answer, my friend, is typed on the 'fire, the answer is typed on the 'fire.

And let not those who can not walk, or hold a tune, or never spent a night in bear country be discouraged...

Don't quit your day job.

wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cmg

Who did that song?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob Dylan.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by cmg

Who did that song?

Bob Dylan.

Let's keep it that way, OK? grin

I get that from my kids almost everytime I sing. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Timing is evathang!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Meaners...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What's really amazing is that no matter how many times someone posts a "bear rifle" thread we all read it and it gets multiple pages of posts! Including myself smile

BTW I do a little brown bear guiding and I happily carry a 375 Ruger Alaskan....

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

I've been reading about hunting Brn/Griz bear since I was a kid and I've come to the conclusion that IMHO the discussion/writing about the selection of the proper rifle/cartridge combo is just one part of many parts that make "the hunt". Seems the same with some other varieties of big game to. Wouldn't have that change for anything. So carry on.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 17CalFan, 28 invisible), 1,343 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.