Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Originally Posted by ingwe
the Blaser will have schitt for resale value ( and you will resell it...)

So Wrong I don't know where to begin. I've bought and sold so many Blaser componets I can't count them all, and trust me you don't lose anything. I could take that rifle your looking at and sell all the pieces off 1 by 1 for a considerable profit in probably a weeks time. People on this site are clueless about Blasers and haters because they don't have them. I currently own 3 and love them for. For the traveling hunter, which it sounds like you are, there is no choice better than the Blaser R93 or R8.

I would like to know why you want this "Africa" package blaser though? Alex at Eurooptics can hook you up with an aluminum receiver R-8 package for much less money. But if you just want the ultimate, you found it.

Well, not knowing too much about Blasers, but still a bit leery over their aluminum receivers, especially for large bore high pressure cartridges...the STEEL receiver of this model so called the "Professional Hunter" (Selous Safari).
Plus, I price-parted it out to well over $10,000. and thought at $7K, the price the guy came down to, it was a steal!

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sig45elite
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I would buy a Savage before I bought a Blaser. They've got to be one of the most hideous rifles out there.

For the price of one you could get yourself two really nice custom or semi custom rifles.

The package that the poster is looking at is not the normal set-up for a Blaser. If he bought a normal R-8 kit, it would be many thousands less

I also have a real issue that price is always brought up when talking about Blaser on this board. When you start getting 3 and 4 barrel set-ups the actual overall cost of the package comes down proportional to buying 3 or 4 custom rifles. Plus there are 2 very good message boards dedicated to Blaser rifles that each have classified sections, featuring mostly modular parts for the blaser system. If you buy parts over time, you really don't notice the cost as much as buying complete rifles.

Savage, good one

Well,that is what I was reasoning...$7k / by 2 = $3,500.
This model Blaser has a STEEL receiver, not aluminum, and heavy safari barrels with barrel band swivels, very balanced and accurate, I hear.

I'm familiar with the package you are looking at, and your math is spot on. add a varmint barrel in the future and the overall value is better yet. Enjoy your new rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While a Blaser nor Benelli R1 are my personal cup of tea, who cares what anyone else thinks? It's your $$ and you only have to please yourself. Buy whatever YOU want.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had a Blser-93 for a good many years now (and I have not sold it yet). Unless you want the extra weight to dampen recoil, and you probaly do on a ,416, there is no reason not to get the aluminum receiver. The bolt locks directly into the barrel. I even confess to having owned an Ultimate at one time. It was accutate in both .338WM and .270, but that one was as ugly as home made sin. I find my Prestidge rather attractive. I do understand that it was my money, not any of yours, so please respect my/our choices.

My experience with Kimber rifles was not that good, and many of our members here would nominate them for sainthood. I did like their rings and kept and still run two sets of them.

I personally think the high end Blasers are a little over the top. CZ550? IMO good solid rifles, but they need a rasp to slim the stock and then a bunch of money to refinish and cut new checkering is in order.....expensive modification. All done, it is yout money, and you could get a bunch of Savages if you just want tools. I don't think that is what you are after. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
You know the expression, "azzholes are like opinions, everybody has one". You asked for advice, you will get lots of it on the fire. Me personally, I kinda like the blasers. Dont own one but wouldnt be against it. In the end though, I vote for the 550 from AHR. Doesnt get much better than that.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have lusted for a Dakota
And they are made in America

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And hideous....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I would buy a Savage before I bought a Blaser. They've got to be one of the most hideous rifles out there.

For the price of one you could get yourself two really nice custom or semi custom rifles.

ok. them's fightin' words. lol
I own 3. Wouldn't give them up for nothing.
Wouldn't trade them for anything.

2 months ago, got my wife the Model 11 Ladyhunter in 7-08. You couldn't ask for a prettier rifle. and does it shoot?
Out of the box with a nice Nikon at 100 yards 3 shots, 2 practically are same hole, the 3rd is half a hole inside the other 2. And it'll do that all day long.

My 13 yr old 7-08 SS has an ugly stock, granted, but shoot just as well as the wife's new rig, But the 300 wsm in SS I bought in February is as nice looking as any SS rig out there, plus likely shoots better.

I don't really understand folk's hatred for Savage.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Savages shoot and I definetly dont hate them. To me though, they dont scream quality. They feel cheaply made. I know they shoot but they just dont do it for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess that's why there's all kind of women, too.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys know that the OP Sig is Bulletsforyogi, right?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good God man, when is he going to pick a rifle. Didn't put 2 and 2 together, and I should have with the obsession of the steel receiver, which a very small percentage of people would need. Thanks for the heads up

Imagine how long it must take this cat to pick out a pick-up?

Last edited by cooperfan; 08/10/12.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm amazed this gets so electric. OP clearly lacks the confidence to make the decision on his own, or has significant doubt about it.

Go with your gut here, zealots on both sides of this and some likely pitching product they have a stake in of some kind.

Blasers aren't my cup of tea, but they are gaining a following.

I'd buy a pair of nice bolt rifles, Model 70s are a good place to start. Feeling flush? Have a top drawer custom 'smith turn out a pair on Mauser or Model 70 actions.

Life's too short for fretting like this...get what makes you happy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can tell you guys that the Savage rifles from 10 years ago are not the same as the ones they are putting out today. Their quality and attention to detail along with the accu-trigger has pretty much made them a rifle to be considered when looking for a new one. They are giving you quality that would cost hundred of dollars more on other rifles. Defintely worth taking a look at them. I have had the pleasure of shooting a number of them over the last 5 years and I have been very pleased with what they offer.

Now if they'd just bring back the 99 !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought the Blaser was interesting, but hunting in the US, a switch barrel didn't make a lot of sense. The extra barrels are more than a decent factory setup plus the extra rings and scopes to mate with the barrels (yes I know the rings are detachable but who wants the rezeroing hassle?)are still added. Kinda of a pain when you can get an entire setup for hunting in a factory rifle for less than one blaser barrel.

Anyway, I thought about everything I wanted in a rifle, then I thought about the practicality of what was out there, then I b ought and sold a bunch until I wound up with what I liked.

Save yourself the hassle, take yourself to the closest largest gun dealer(s), tell them you have a lot of money to burn and want to try on every rifle they have in the store and that you're going to buy it that day when you are done. Pick the one that feels best. Save the rest of the money and take your wife on a special hunt to wherever and enjoy yourselves.

BTW, start with an FN Model 70 extreme weather if you want a synthetic, or a featherweight if you want wood, then try everything else, then go back to thw winny choices and repeat!

Personally, I would go with the new FN Model 70 Extreme Weather in standard or SA caliber and a AHR in 9.3x62 unless your wanting something bigger to help pad your eye and tooth dr's wallets! A couple of leupolds in VX3 or FX3 models, talley lightweight rings and call it a good day!

Good luck with your decision!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.