Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
At a certain power level it�s not about �can I kill it�, but rather can I stop it before it kills me. For some the solution is a rifle, but given the right handgun/cartridge/bullet combination, the handgun absolutely can do the job of a large rifle provided the shooter is up to the task.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
Derby Dude,

That is kinda where I am as well. If it cannot be done with my 10mm or 44 RemMag, I am reaching for a long gun. Part of that is that I just don't like shooting anything more powerful than those two in a handgun. To me, handguns cease being handguns when they weigh as much as a Winchester Model 92 or some other carbine that would be far more effective than any handgun including the 500 Smith or when they require two hands or worse yet a rest to be fired accurately, comfortably or effectively.

My .500 Maximum weighs as much (or as little) as my Bisley Hunter in .44 Magnum. I don't like heavy revolvers as it defeats the purpose for me. Define "far more effective" please, as aside from the range limitations of the revolver (not terminal ineffectiveness at range but ability to hit with it at distance), I don't find any of my big-bore revolvers, loaded correctly, to be giving up much of anything to many big-game rifle cartridges from a terminal standpoint.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Derby Dude,

That is kinda where I am as well. If it cannot be done with my 10mm or 44 RemMag, I am reaching for a long gun. Part of that is that I just don't like shooting anything more powerful than those two in a handgun. To me, handguns cease being handguns when they weigh as much as a Winchester Model 92 or some other carbine that would be far more effective than any handgun including the 500 Smith or when they require two hands or worse yet a rest to be fired accurately, comfortably or effectively.

Try a 480 ruger. 400gr @ 1200 fps is a big enough jump over the 44 mag to make you notice the difference on game, but the recoil isn't so stout as to be unshootable. If you can handle a 44, you can handle a 480.

For me, going past the 480 results in a gun that either has too much recoil, weighs too much, or needs a muzzle break to be shootable which are all comprises I'm not willing to make.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Derby Dude,

My .500 Maximum weighs as much (or as little) as my Bisley Hunter in .44 Magnum. I don't like heavy revolvers as it defeats the purpose for me. Define "far more effective" please, as aside from the range limitations of the revolver (not terminal ineffectiveness at range but ability to hit with it at distance), I don't find any of my big-bore revolvers, loaded correctly, to be giving up much of anything to many big-game rifle cartridges from a terminal standpoint.

Far morre effective = in part, the ability to HIT what one is aiming at. A number of shooting tests have been done and nearly everybody shoots immensely better with a carbine than with a handgun for many good reasons. Also, velocities obtanable and the terminal ballistics that go with it. going from a revolver barrel to the 20 inch barrel of a carbine makes the bullets go MUCH faster. I had a Rossi/Puma in 454 Casull for a while and even took it to Africa once. Its velocities with 300 grain bullets were identical to those obtained with 45/70 trapdoor level loads in that bullet weight. Going up to 330 and heavier bullets and it was even more impressive. Wildebeast, Impala and guinea fowl did not like that little carbine smile This was from the days that I would take as many as five guns with me to Zimbabwe and stay a while. shooting animals for Leopard, Hyena and Lion bait gave me opportunitys to field test lots of stuff and man was it ever FUN!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Scott F
Will these be open range milk jugs? I won't hunt high fenced milk jogs.

[bleep]' snob.

Travis

Thanks. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by temmi
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Scott F
Will these be open range milk jugs? I won't hunt high fenced milk jogs.

[bleep]' snob.

Travis

You guys are killen me!!!

laugh laugh laugh

Just thank your lucky stars you ain't a free range milk jug!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Found it!!!!

Check this out gunner500:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cViXU8eXU94

That was ugly! Don't know if he was missing that hog or if they were just not where they needed to be but that was unly!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Our good freind here JJ Hack, who has shot something on the order of 900 bears as he was the bear control officer for a large timber company for many years and was ahunting guide in Alaska during times when he was not PH'ing in South Africa and Zimbabwe says that in his experience a plain old vanilla 240gr HP in a 44 MAgnum is much more effective on even big black bears.
Haven hunted a number of black bears, I would heartily agree with JJ on that. My preference is for a heavy duty JHP for black bears. As for griz, I�m not the man to ask.

Having killed a lot of game with a hangun over the years< I definately would not choose a JHP over a wide meplat hardcast. Yes I have used both

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Derby Dude,

Far morre effective = in part, the ability to HIT what one is aiming at. A number of shooting tests have been done and nearly everybody shoots immensely better with a carbine than with a handgun for many good reasons. Also, velocities obtanable and the terminal ballistics that go with it. going from a revolver barrel to the 20 inch barrel of a carbine makes the bullets go MUCH faster. I had a Rossi/Puma in 454 Casull for a while and even took it to Africa once. Its velocities with 300 grain bullets were identical to those obtained with 45/70 trapdoor level loads in that bullet weight. Going up to 330 and heavier bullets and it was even more impressive. Wildebeast, Impala and guinea fowl did not like that little carbine smile This was from the days that I would take as many as five guns with me to Zimbabwe and stay a while. shooting animals for Leopard, Hyena and Lion bait gave me opportunitys to field test lots of stuff and man was it ever FUN!

A 335 grain 45 caliber WLFN at 1300 FPS will shoot completely through and exit 1,000 pound Bison. I have seen them dropped at the shot and that was with the Bison running before the shot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Chit JWP475, I'm runnin the same bullet with excellent accuracy out of my FA 454C at 1585 fps, ya think I need to back her down a bit?
Mainly use that revolver for packin in bear country out west while bow and muzzle loadin for Elk.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You will give up a bit of penetration at that speed with a hardcast, but you will still have enough providing the bullets is not to hard and shatters on heavy bone. I personally do not like to run a hard cast bullet more than 1400 FPS. Bullet hardnes is not accounted for by many and this is a mistake in my experience.

Just like some one claiming that a JHP bullet is the best. Well which one are they talking about. Sierra JHP bullets are made with a 1 1/2 oercent antimony and a heavy jacket they are made to penetrate, not expand. A hollow point that does not expand is not the same as a wide meplat flat point. Those that have shot a lot of game know this. I like my hard cast bulllets to cure out 20 to 24 BNH. This is hard enough to maintain shape well enough with out being too hard at 1400 FPS give or take a bit. 12BNH is fine if velocity does not exceed 1200 FPS

Some JHP and JFP are too soft for big game and do not penetrate well. I would not want one of these bullet for big bear protection

[Linked Image]

I am not a fan of such eractic performance as this

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jwp475; 08/16/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Our good freind here JJ Hack, who has shot something on the order of 900 bears as he was the bear control officer for a large timber company for many years and was ahunting guide in Alaska during times when he was not PH'ing in South Africa and Zimbabwe says that in his experience a plain old vanilla 240gr HP in a 44 MAgnum is much more effective on even big black bears.
Haven hunted a number of black bears, I would heartily agree with JJ on that. My preference is for a heavy duty JHP for black bears. As for griz, I&#146;m not the man to ask.

Having killed a lot of game with a hangun over the years< I definately would not choose a JHP over a wide meplat hardcast. Yes I have used both

Thousands of head of big game, and 900 bears alone?

I have shot what most would call lots of big game as well, all over the planet, but I know when my experience has been bettered.

That said, we all make our choices based upon our preferences and personal experience and obviously the Wide Flat HC's work great for you and many others. Whatever works and you like, rock on and go kill some stuff with a big ol grin all the while! smile

I was merely reporting on the experience of another - who is a close personal freind - whose experience is vast compared to about anyone else here.

Heck there are even folks who stick with Nosler Partitions even though the Barnes TTSX is a vastly supreior design in every way <G> Just no accounting for sense, sometimes

Donning Nomex fire suit..... NOW

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That'll work, I'll back em down to 1400 fps on next reload in the FA revolver, and the 440 gr WFNGC's out of the 500 S&W at 1385 will be left alone.

These are both "Cast Performance" bullets.

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I use TSX bullets but I am not a fan of most JHP bullets for big game.

I dropped the bear on the right spread eagle style with a LBT LFN hard cast from a 475 at 1350 FPS. A raking body shot did the job

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jwp475; 08/16/12.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
That'll work, I'll back em down to 1400 fps on next reload in the FA revolver, and the 440 gr WFNGC's out of the 500 S&W at 1385 will be left alone.

Gunner

Those are excellent bullets

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Those are excellent bullets

Thanks JWP wink.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JWP, Excellent Bear there! What part of AK, and which outfitter?

Looks like a great hunt overall.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
What must be stressed when discussing cast or hardcast bullets is what bullet design is being used. There are a tremendous number of cast bullet designs, round nose, truncated cone, semi wadcutters, full wadcutters, ogival wadcutters (aka LBT WFN and LFN's) etc. A meplat, and it's dia has a huge impact on what type of wound channel a bullet creates.

There is also a point, I'm not sure exactly where but the 357 seems to be right on the cusp where you really don't have a large enough meplat to create a big enough wound for quickly dispatching an animal. If you have a 40 or 44 with a small meplat, suddenly you find yourself in the 357 territory and performance on game is iffy.
Amen! What He Said! I personally prefer the WFN's, But... The LFN's tend to be more accurate in my guns.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
JWP, Excellent Bear there! What part of AK, and which outfitter?

Looks like a great hunt overall.

No outfitter, I was dropped off by a flying service and picked up latter. The location was out from Kotzebue, AK

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
What must be stressed when discussing cast or hardcast bullets is what bullet design is being used. There are a tremendous number of cast bullet designs, round nose, truncated cone, semi wadcutters, full wadcutters, ogival wadcutters (aka LBT WFN and LFN's) etc. A meplat, and it's dia has a huge impact on what type of wound channel a bullet creates.

There is also a point, I'm not sure exactly where but the 357 seems to be right on the cusp where you really don't have a large enough meplat to create a big enough wound for quickly dispatching an animal. If you have a 40 or 44 with a small meplat, suddenly you find yourself in the 357 territory and performance on game is iffy.
Amen! What He Said! I personally prefer the WFN's, But... The LFN's tend to be more accurate in my guns.

458 Lott is spot on. People read his post and digest it. A proper hard cast with a proper meplat does not take a back seat to any jacketed bullet in the wound diameter department and out penetrates them six ways to sunday

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 8MMX57JS, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 871 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,109
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.