Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Karnis
They can be made relatively light, but not as light as the synthetic or the wood. Under 30oz would be pushing it. Doesn't mean it can't be done but the amount of wood removal (contouring, drilling and grinding) would be extensive.

If you decide to go that route you need to start with a stock that is properly inletted along the barrel channel (it should match the barrel contour), start on the forend and progress to the butt stock, then hollow it out.

Here is one I contoured, removed cheek piece, drilled buttstock, hollowed out forend, recontoured grip and comb flutes and added a Decelerator and refinished. Came in at 37oz, down from 46 IIRC. For a Mauser in .35 Whelen.

I put the same stock on a 700 in 375Chatfield-Taylor and gave it the same treatment, but shortened the forend and left the cheekpiece on. I didn't consider removing the cheekpiece or I would have done that too. I got mine down to 36oz. It's perfect for the rifle and I would do it again for a 375.

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Super cub,

Nice, sleek and classic lines. I like it.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Super cub,

Nice, sleek and classic lines. I like it.

DF

Thanks ..... It's off to get the nitron coating treatment so the stainless bbl will match the rest. Should be back this week in time to get it ready for a late Sept moose hunt. grin

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
That will be one sharp looking rifle with a matching barrel!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What's the story on nitron coating. I don't think I've heard of that one.

DF

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nitron coating: Go to your browser's search bar and type that into the box. It's a coating developed by Sig Sauer. Or maybe it was supposed to be nitrided (titanium nitride) coating used on tool bits. Or could it have been natron, the naturally occurring salt (Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate (along with some smaller amounts of Sodium Sulphate and Sodium Chloride) used by ancient Egyptians to desiccate corpses for mummification. I'm beginning to feel mummified, but then I don't think the Egyptians mummified jackasses.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 08/12/12.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
I am completely new to the rifle customization process. I am interested in buying a Kimber 84L Montana and replacing the synthetic stock with a laminate. My question is how much heavier should I expect the laminate to weigh compared to the standard walnut stock, assuming similar size and geometry? I am satisfied with the 6lb 2oz weight of the walnuts, and would be ok if the laminate weighed as much as 6 ounces heavier. I am trying to decide if this is possible, or if I should just go a different route.
Thanks,
CH

Don't do this.

See how easy that was?

Travis

Travis,

He wants to build something, already has obtained a Mauser action. He's looking for help with his build.

Now, he could spend more than the cost of a Montana and have less. That's always a good possibility. But if he's intent on building a Mauser, he deserves a chance at success or a shot at a big mistake. If he learns from the experience, the cost is just tuition. If not, then it's all a dead expense.

DF

Ok.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Simply because I prefer the feel of a wood stock over synthetic. I have an itch for a light weight, all weather 280AI and would really like to have one with a laminate. I am not sure if buidling one on a Kimber action and getting it in the same weight range as the Select is even a possibility. My opinion is that a homerun would be a rifle scoped out under 7lbs.

However, I am tempted just to say the heck with it save up for a NULA.

Never claimed it to be the most logical thing to do. But if I based all my rifle decisions on logic I would have stopped buying rifles with my 30-06... Grin!

You convinced me. Laminate the schit out of it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Might want to consider a Bill Shehane OBeche laminate stock. It is an African mahogany type wood that weighs about as much as Cedar or Redwood but stronger. I think these come close to a fiberglass stock in weight but not a graphite stock. A couple others will do custom laminates with a carbon center layer then lighter wood on the outside.

If you go that route I would be tempted to use a less expensive action, a lighter scope, and then save for the NULA or Forbes rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A Kimber coupled with a laminated stock. How could you go wrong? eek

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dirt - I noticed the top one is checkered. Is that something you had done, or was it that way when you bought it? Reason I ask is I have 2 laminated stocks, but neither have checkering and have been told (by Karnis no less) that it's problematic. I'm looking at stippling them, but haven't had the time to investigate that process.

Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The JRS (Sondra sporter) I believe today is called a Boyd's Classic. Now you can also get them with checkering, and your initials laser engraved on it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
A Kimber coupled with a laminated stock. How could you go wrong? eek

Strap one of these on it:

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.