Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
grin

It's Friday and I have to be home for most of the day and I remembered a very experienced poster here whom was an Alaskan Guide and an African PH and he wrote this............

This year we took quite a few animals and used a rather wide selection of guns and ammo. Here are a few things I found interesting to add to the data base.

I'm not a fan of the 7mm mag. Throughout my career I have seen this cartridge used often. It seems to have a lot of trouble keeping game down with one shot. Or finding it after the shot. It's probably why I prefer the calibers .308 and larger for big game. It's also refered to as the "hit em again 7" in Alaska by many of the guides there. Because of the need for multiple hits to stop bigger animals, especially bears and goats.

Food for thought or are your experiences different than JJ Hacks?

Jayco laugh

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What was his name? How does .024" make any difference in how critters die?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oooooh Lordy

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It sounds like he's trying to justify using .308 caliber bullets.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BTW, how many elephants did that African hunter kill with a 7x57???

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's too stupid to even respond to.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner

Better question is, do you want to compare trophy rooms? I've seen Jim's, for a single hunter, its impressive. I don't think I've killed as many "love" bugs whilst driving thru SE Texas on a hot summer night!

Sometimes pups should stay on the porch and learn ..... smile

Last edited by avagadro; 08/24/12. Reason: 'cuz I suck at grammar

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim who? I'm curious why I should stay on the porch? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Tanner

Better question is, do you want to compare trophy rooms? I've seen Jim's, for a single hunter, its impressive. I don't think I've killed as many "love" bugs whilst driving thru SE Texas on a hot summer night!

Sometimes pups should stay on the porch and learn ..... smile

OUTSTANDINGLY well put. And spot on.

I just had a long conversation with Jim on WED about this very matter as we ewere disscussing this years deer camp and bringing his 10 yr old son along this time. He notes that the 7mm's (and I have one, the Mashburn Super version) do kill stuff, but from 30 cal and UP is where game gets put down with noticeably more authority and better blood trails. Based on his haveing been in on the taking of some 900 plus bears and thousands of head of other big game, I tend to like to listen and learn, and I have taken a lot more game than 99% of the people on this board. Jim went further to state that the 338's are even better and I have heard this from more than one guide or outfitter in Alaska and the Rocky Mountain West. Not to mention PH's in Africa. Big holes, and two of them, are a GOOD thing.

Again, I have a very fast 7, but it is my deer rifle and nothing else.

YMMV

Last edited by safariman; 08/24/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The question of 7mm to .30 was a serious one, it looks cynical in my first post and I should've asked it more seriously. The hunter's name is Jim Hack? If avagadro says he has a badazz trophy room, I won't question that at all laugh

Did he find that the .30s expand better, retain weight, penetrate deeper, etc? Or maybe just the fact that you can shoot such heavy .308" bullets? I know that the 180gr TTSX I use at 2950-3k are very impressive.

Again, didn't mean to be smartazzed...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a person has to actually try a big 30 , 338 win or even better yet a 340 WBY to actually understand how well they perform on larger game.

No I'm not saying anything negative about the big 7's.

Nice how we have all these choices!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No worries young man. JJHack is short for Jim Hackwicz. If it were not already bear season he would probably be here in person more to explain his positions. Since he lives close and we hunt together a fair amount I sometimes throw out what I have heard form him. Jim has been a guide for Brown Bears and Black bears in AK, Black Bears in NW Washington state and has PH'ed extensively in Zimbabwe and South Africa for many years. I have been priviliged to hunt with hi in person some and he is one that any and all here could and should learn from as his expereince is that much more expansive than about anyone else here. He went to Universtiy in South Africa and learned his trade there from the locals, while earning his PH licenses.

His favorite bullet in 30 cal right now is the 168gr TTSX. I myself have dropped down form the 180gr Barnes that I had been using to that bullet based on his observations over a couple years of shooting and seeing shot many, many big game animals.

He had a nice 25/06 built at one time, it is now in my possesion to be taken to the guns show in Moscow Idaho for sale at my gun show table as it has not been used for a very long time and he quite honestly does not see any use for it. It is a REALLY NICE full on custom.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I think a person has to actually try a big 30 , 338 win or even better yet a 340 WBY to actually understand how well they perform on larger game.

No I'm not saying anything negative about the big 7's.

Nice how we have all these choices!

I have used both the 300 RUM and my wildcat 340 Tyrannosaur in Africa and they are WICKED killers. Lots of DRT/Bangflop type kills. no tracking required, or at least very little so more time for hunting and lots lower stress.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's too stupid to even respond to.

Really...

How does your hunting experiences compare to Jim Hackiewicz(JJHack) if you even know who he is?What can you report about several calibers used in one year and what you say from A-Z.

I doubt there is one person on this forum with the experience he has doing and seeing because,that is his job and was,Alaska wise.He only gave his opinion on what he saw that year and years before.

Sheesh...Take the post for what it was..One very experienced hunter/Guide and PH and his opinion on calibers for "Big Game" not Deer.

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Based on his haveing been in on the taking of some 900 plus bears and thousands of head of other big game, I tend to like to listen and learn

As we all should with less experience...

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my very limited personal experience, I've had much better fortune with the 30s than the 7s. It's to the point where I probably won't ever own a 7 again. Most likely it was my shooting or maybe my bullet choices. I only know that the 30s haven't given me any problems at all. I think perhaps I'm jinxed on the 7s and so I have no faith in them.

Here's an article on bear hunting that I enjoy reading pretty often.

http://www.z-hat.com/Stevenson.htm

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Jesus Christ, sounds like every conversation I have with my family about any other hunting cartridge than a 30-06. I had to un-scientifically explain to my dear Uncle why a .270 WSM was "enough for Moose". He still thinks a 30-06 has more "knock down" so I asked him which had more knock down....a half ton Dodge or a half ton Chebby with a Light Bar.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chebbies just bounce off .... ain't been worth a hoot since the gubbmint took'em over! smile smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bears on up I would agree. On medium and smaller soft skinned game not so much. But JJ probably sees in a couple years about as much game as I have shot in a lifetime. Then the other issue with some is do you shoot a .340 Weatherby as well as a 7 mag.? I don't.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoot mine (similar to the 340W wildcat) pretty well, but its stock fits me great, has a wonderful Limbsaver pad, and I have been shooting it for decades. Point taken, most are better off with a 30/06. Gee, I wonder where we have heard THAT line before... <G>

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,022 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.