Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
I no the feeling! laugh

Same hear.....

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm sorry not feeling the sympathy for JJHack on this thread. You start out with a "hit em again" title (even though he didn't start the thread or come up with the phrase) and you get what you ask for. There are a lot of PHs with a lot more experience out there than JJHack and while you will generally find some of agreement from them on calibers, bullets, etc. (they tend to like North Forks, A-Frames, Partitions, but probably because they've been around longer than TSX's and have always performed). On plains game, I've heard everything from a 243 to a 375 Weatherby.

For me, I'll probably bring the 375 Weatherby shooting 300g A-Frames and either the 270 Weatherby (shooting 150g Partitions) (if it's a plains game hunt) or my 500 Jeffery (shooting 570g TSX's )if it's a combined DG (non elephant) / plains game hunt. If the PH isn't happy with my choices, I'll chose another guide.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Note to self: call it a "ham shot" next time. smile

Well, hell, I hit the right ham low and outside. Missed the "Texas Heart" by quite a ways... smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jailbird hasn't killed a thing in his life other than a 12-pack and a bunch of brain cells.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter
Finally a grown up mature post....

CH

While I know that sometimes a larger diameter bullet may penetrate less,in the process it cuts a larger wound channel creating more damage and if it exits,it leaves a larger exit hole for a larger blood flow out of the body.It also causes more damage within.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Who can say whether a shorter, wider wound channel causes more damage than a narrower but longer wound channel? Moreover, if both achieve the desired result in a similar time frame, does it matter? The last four elk I�ve shot with the 7mm RM resulted in 3 exits and one recovered bullet, while the numbers for .308" were one recovered bullet, one exit and no idea where the others ended up. Not that the results were any different, because they weren�t.

Some of the largest exits holes I�ve seen on coyotes were caused by 40g Ballistic Tips. Conversely, the smallest exit hole I�ve had (which was never found) was with a 7mm 160g XLC. Even my .375 Win with a 220g Hornady couldn�t match the 40g Ballistic Tip for exit wound size. The size of the wound channel depends in part on velocity. Given otherwise identical bullets, for maximum wounding I�ll take a fast 7 over a slow .308�.

I think we all know a bullet does not have to exit to be lethal.But having said that the .308/200/220 grain bullets usually exit as does the 180 depending on launched velocity from what I have seen.

CH...This post was about what JJ said and I asked if it was food for thought as it is to me or I asked if others experiences differ with JJ's.You have shown quite different experiences based on your hunts and that's all I asked although my experiences with the big 7 mirror JJ's...

Now to keep up with the kool kids/the clan/gang/bangers/dufers..You dirty rotten scoundrel,how dare you post your experiences with the little 7. grinYou know I am kidding......

I am almost afraid to post i still love my .270 Winchester....

Jayco

You do know your beloved .270 Win doesn�t hold a candle to my .280 Rem, don�t you? wink

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/30/12. Reason: clarification/correction

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
You do know your beloved .270 Win doesn�t hold a candle to my .280 Rem, don�t you?

I didn't but I do now because I read it time after time here.I think I just might have to sell my pre '64 Winchester Super Grade in .270 and buy one of those .280's so I can kill too. laugh

Live and learn and hunt enough and a person has his own experiences.You have done good Pilgrim and like JJ,you refuse to get down and dirty and answer questions like a man rather than insults and vulgar comments...Your daddy would be proud.

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by colorado
I'm sorry not feeling the sympathy for JJHack on this thread. You start out with a "hit em again" title (even though he didn't start the thread or come up with the phrase) and you get what you ask for.

With respect Colorado,he did come up with the "hit em again 7".If you read JJ's post he say's just that.I just turned the words around some.I doubt JJ really cares what anyone thinks about his comment that he stands by to this day in his post or what you or I think about his experiences..

One thing for sure though,his experiences far exceed anyone that is a member here.

Jayco

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Appreciate your and JJHacks point of view. Not agreenig doesn't mean we can't respect each other and each other's views. Good hunting and shooting to you and JJHack both ... and stay safe ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Not agreenig doesn't mean we can't respect each other and each other's views

Ditto sir and good hunting to you and yours...There is never a reason for all the vulgarity and disrespect for just pointing out a persons views or experiences.

Were all here for one reason...The love of hunting.

Jayco

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not agreenig doesn't mean we can't respect each other and each other's views

Ditto sir and good hunting to you and yours...There is never a reason for all the vulgarity and disrespect for just pointing out a persons views or experiences.

Were all here for one reason...The love of hunting.

Jayco

I think GW must be right......do you even remember or realize the vulgarity you personally posted in this thread?

All the experience in the world doesn't preclude someone from being wrong or making a stupid statement. It wouldn't be the first time coming from him.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Does this have anything to do with your previous post you said: you could care less how much meat you damage shooting game and I asked you why do you even hunt?

If so..I stand by it...

Jayco

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not at al because I could care less what some drunk saysl. It has to do with you condemning all the cussing and vulgar talk on this thread and you're one of the biggest offenders. Is that simple enough for you?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own 3 7mm rem mags. 2 of which I have hunted with. I have taken mule deer and elk with both - roughly 16 animals. I have had to track only one animal (6 point bull elk) - 15 yards. I have had everything else die within 5 feet of where it was standing when it was shot. I have used 175 grain soft points and 160 grain nosler partitions. I would not hesitate to use it on moose, sheep, antelope (I would pick a lighter bullet), cougar and black bear. I would want a bigger gun for Grizz or Cape Buffalo.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image]

I truly have absolutely know respect for you/JeffO or anyone that just shoots game and could care less about meat damage in any way..

Why do you even hunt other than Internet bragging rights?I hunt for meat and meat only.

I would love to stay and play but a phone call from the Forest Circus said I need to remove my property from an area with a spreading fire.So Little fella..I guess your on::::::

..........Manly Ignore........

For now.

Jayco

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's good news to me on all fronts. I don't like it when people like you like me. Thanks! You conveniently left out the part where I stated " I don't intentionally waste meat.....".

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
JG, arguing with a ra-tard, is retarded... grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And while your killing critters, Jayco is hunting "meat" in cell-block #2.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
And while your killing critters, Jayco is hunting "meat" in cell-block #2.

ROTFLMAO !!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You do know your beloved .270 Win doesn�t hold a candle to my .280 Rem, don�t you?

I didn't but I do now because I read it time after time here.I think I just might have to sell my pre '64 Winchester Super Grade in .270 and buy one of those .280's so I can kill too. laugh

Live and learn and hunt enough and a person has his own experiences.You have done good Pilgrim and like JJ,you refuse to get down and dirty and answer questions like a man rather than insults and vulgar comments...Your daddy would be proud.

Jayco

You better sell that 270 fast and get a 280. If you ever need to track a deer it will be a lot easier to find if its hit with the 280.That 280 will make it bleed more. wink

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by colorado
I'm sorry not feeling the sympathy for JJHack on this thread. You start out with a "hit em again" title (even though he didn't start the thread or come up with the phrase) and you get what you ask for.

With respect Colorado,he did come up with the "hit em again 7".If you read JJ's post he say's just that.I just turned the words around some.I doubt JJ really cares what anyone thinks about his comment that he stands by to this day in his post or what you or I think about his experiences..

One thing for sure though,his experiences far exceed anyone that is a member here.

Jayco

JJHack even said himself he got the phrase from working with the Alaskan Guides...

Originally Posted by JJHack
In a past thread, I did write the phrase "hit em again seven" as was said to me by other Alaskan guides I worked with. I was in my early 20's then. The phrase and the experience I would have in the coming years would mirror those early sentiments by much more experienced guides then I was.

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 980 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.