Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm in the market for a new/used truck. I thought I was decided on a Tacoma Crew Cab/long bed 4x4/V-6, but the pickings are pretty slim locally, and when I can find one that I want, the prices seem quite high. On a whim I stopped at a local Chevy dealer and looked over a couple of 2009 Silverado extended cabs/4x4/Z-71's, and was quite impressed. The prices on the Chevys were quite a bit lower than comparible optioned Tacomas. I have owned both Toyota Tacomas and Silverados in the past and am having a hard time deciding which way to go.
I usually drive around 40,000 miles a year, mostly highway. Any heavy hauling I do is with my tandem axle trailer, but never long distances or real heavy loads. As far as off roading goes, very limited, like driving down to my back meadows, or getting into my hunting area which may have 6" of snow covering the gravel road.
I am planning on keeping which ever vehicle I buy for the next five years, which realistically means it will have +200,000 miles on it. My gut tells me to go with the Toyota, but I would like to hear from you all.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I just bought a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Toyota products, in general, are more reliable and last longer than most other brands, IMO.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Depends

If you hunt - Toyota

If you want to date older chicks - Chevy
If you want to date younger chicks - yot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Tacoma would likely get better mileage. I think that both brands are pretty reliable and driving the miles you do that either will do the trick. I think it's more which style do you prefer.

Regards,

Tom
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I was in the same boat as you earlier this year and wound up getting a Double Cab Tundra 4wd with the 5.7 liter. The mileage is not a whole lot different than the Tacoma(highway) but it has a lot more room, is more comfortable, and has more towing/hauling capabilities. I was not impressed with the Silverado's power train when compared to the Tundra and F150.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Am on a somewhat similar hunt and chevys reliably/inexpensively making it to the 200k mark would be largest question in my mind.

I can't imagine how any government ownership would do anything but contribute to a loss of overall quality. (but in the spirit of full disclosure, that concept as an alternative reeks, IMHO, and is enough for me to cross GM products off the list regardless of their reputation).

The initial cost of vehicles has risen so high relative to wages that I'd like keep the risk of additional ownership expenses as low as possible.

Yota....and I'd shop Ford or Dodge additionally.

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've got a 2007 Yote quad cab.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We were real close to buying a '12 quad cab, long bed Tundra but decided we really needed a 3/4 ton and Toyota doesn't make one. We really liked the Tundra for handling, comfort, and longevity. The local dealer had a good supply of good used ones, too. They do hold their value.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by tomk
Am on a somewhat similar hunt and chevys reliably/inexpensively making it to the 200k mark would be largest question in my mind.

I can't imagine how any government ownership would do anything but contribute to a loss of overall quality. (but in the spirit of full disclosure, that concept as an alternative reeks, IMHO, and is enough for me to cross GM products off the list regardless of their reputation).

The initial cost of vehicles has risen so high relative to wages that I'd like keep the risk of additional ownership expenses as low as possible.

I too would consider the Ford but would be a little nervous of the Dodge. One of my extra duties in the department I work for is vehicle fleet manager. The department bought two cars late last year...a 2011 Hemi Charger and a 2011 Crown Vic PI. I was issued the Ford and am very happy with it. The Charger is quicker, faster, and handles better but has also been back to the dealer a few times already. It will be interesting to follow the two cars as they age and compare their reliability.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
40,000mi/yr? Dude, you need a Honda Civic, not a damn 4wd. That or move closer to work.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unimog. The only way to go!

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
40,000mi/yr? Dude, you need a Honda Civic, not a damn 4wd. That or move closer to work.

I work where ever my company bids jobs. Being in the construction trades, you can't choose where you work if you chase the big $. And, as a general rule, if the job is less than 100 miles away, I will commute it daily. Last year was a real bear, 93 miles each way, and 10 1/2 hour days. Left home at 4:45am, got home at 7:30pm, that will wear on you.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

I too would consider the Ford but would be a little nervous of the Dodge. One of my extra duties in the department I work for is vehicle fleet manager. The department bought two cars late last year...a 2011 Hemi Charger and a 2011 Crown Vic PI. I was issued the Ford and am very happy with it. The Charger is quicker, faster, and handles better but has also been back to the dealer a few times already. It will be interesting to follow the two cars as they age and compare their reliability.

I put 127,630 miles on a 2004 Crown Vic with only a fuel pump failure and a slight problem with the rear axle. I do not recall ever putting the first ounce of oil in it other than when the oil was changed at every 6000 miles. Though it was not as fast as a Charger or Chevy Tahoe it was overall a pretty dependable car. Yes I have driven the 2012 Charger and it will scorch the earth.

Back to the main topic. Yes I am a diehard GM man, but would not hesitate to get a Totoyta Tundra or Toyota Tacoma. Probably would be a Tundra since I am around 6' 4". My brother in law has a Tacoma and he loves it. I think for the long haul the Toyotas would be hard to beat.

NEVER GIVE UP
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's OK to buy a rice grinder, but not a Chevrolet? mtmuley

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Buying a used Taco doesn't make sense. For what they want for used ones a new one is the only way to go. That is what I'd do, and did.

Saving 3-4 mpg doesn't seem like much until you do the math. That is about the difference I got when I traded my 1/2 ton for a Tacoma. I was getting 14mpg city vs 18mpg in the Tacoma. When I did the math it comes out to a $60- $70 savings for every 1000 miles I drive with gas @ $3.70/gal.

If you're diriving 4000 a month you'll spend close $250-$300 more in gas driving the Chevy. That will probably make up the difference in payments. The money you don't spend on repair bills helps too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A large percentage of my family works directly for GM or for suppliers to GM. Growing up dad always had Chevy's and GMC's and mom Pontiac's and Oldsmobile's. I, myself have owned 5 new GM vehicles, with the latest being a 09 GMC Acadia. With that said none of them made it much over warranty with out the typical GM nickle and dime routine. Then when they get around 100k the real big repair bills start. Also owned two dodge rigs and they were even worse!
Baring this in mind and the fact that I am aware of several Toyota's that have went 200k with brakes and tires only I purchased a 2012 Tacoma double cab TRD.
I AM DONE BUYING AMERICAN JUNK!
BTW my Tacoma is union made in TX according to the IBEW buy list at work. I'm not union, but that matters to some guys.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/01/12.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by miguel

I work where ever my company bids jobs. Being in the construction trades, you can't choose where you work if you chase the big $. And, as a general rule, if the job is less than 100 miles away, I will commute it daily. Last year was a real bear, 93 miles each way, and 10 1/2 hour days. Left home at 4:45am, got home at 7:30pm, that will wear on you.

If you are a sub, and have to provide a truck and tools, I'd get a 2wd Taco. I've done that gig with a 4wd, everytime you want to go somewhere, you've got thousands of dollars worth of schit to unload, or have it stolen at a trailhead or boatramp. You have to have a WORK TRUCK. If this isn't the case, and you merely have to show up, get the damn Civic, and find yourself a nice used 4wd hunting rig. Trying to do both out of the same vehicle is stupid, do the math.

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Take a knee, learn some manners. I won't tolerate being insulted, on the web or anywhere else.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Take a knee, learn some manners. I won't tolerate being insulted, on the web or anywhere else.

No one has insulted your yankee ass. Lighten the [bleep] up. You asked a question, you got an honest, straightforward, no BS answer. How old are you?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Won't tolerate being insulted? On the web? Good luck with that. mtmuley

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The GM built trucks I have owned are pretty reliable. I can get parts if I need them in any auto parts store in any little town in the US. Try getting a Tundra part on a Saturday in Springfield, Colorado. Won't happen.

Last edited by stantdm; 09/02/12.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd get the Tundra. You won't regret it. I have an 08 Tundra Double cab 4x4 TRD. It gets 19-20 mpg on the Interstate and average right now for city and hwy is 15.2 mpg. It has more room and a huge towing capacity. It's very reliable and you won't have to worry about finding parts due to failure. The truck is made well and made in the USA. More American than GM and Ford.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
A large percentage of my family works directly for GM or for suppliers to GM. Growing up dad always had Chevy's and GMC's and mom Pontiac's and Oldsmobile's. I, myself have owned 5 new GM vehicles, with the latest being a 09 GMC Acadia. With that said none of them made it much over warranty with out the typical GM nickle and dime routine. Then when they get around 100k the real big repair bills start. Also owned two dodge rigs and they were even worse!
Baring this in mind and the fact that I am aware of several Toyota's that have went 200k with brakes and tires only I purchased a 2012 Tacoma double cab TRD.
I AM DONE BUYING AMERICAN JUNK!
BTW my Tacoma is union made in TX according to the IBEW buy list at work. I'm not union, but that matters to some guys.

+1. Many of us have been there and done that....Toyotas are much more reliable. The tranny went bad in my 04 gmc sierra 4x4 when it had 110,000 miles on it...The power steering pump also went, along with the upper intermediate steering shaft, and front diff.....The op would be much more money ahead by going with the toyota. I'd personally opt for the Tundra over the taco though....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The rig I sold to buy my Taco was a 06 Chevy Duramax crew cab. I bought it from a friend with 60k on it and sold it with 85k. During that time it needed a complete front end rebuild, including pitman and idler arms, new brake calipers, new ABS sensors, the power steering pump was leaking pretty good,the steering shaft was so worn out it flopped around and clunked and the engine started to smoke at idle, which is a hint the injectors are shot. Most of these issues are very common amongst this year truck and as such its just another example of [bleep] engineering IMO.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by stantdm
The GM built trucks I have owned are pretty reliable. I can get parts if I need them in any auto parts store in any little town in the US. Try getting a Tundra part on a Saturday in Springfield, Colorado. Won't happen.

That might have been true several years ago but I wouldn't be so sure about that now. Last week we had to replace an alternator and water pump on a 2006 Chevy Impala. NAPA, Autozone, Advance, Carquest, and O'Reily did not have the water pump in stock. They had it by noon the next day but we still had to wait.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=BWalker]...The op would be much more money ahead by going with the toyota. I'd personally opt for the Tundra over the taco though....

Google "Tundra air pump" and you'll change your mind about that.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/04/26/tundra-sequoia-air-injection-induction-pump/

Toyota is perfectly capable of building a half-million mile worthy vehicle, they ship them all over the world. They are called the Hilux pickup. I've driven them on a couple of continents

As good as Toyota is though, having to build stuff that lard-ass americans will buy, and stay in line with EPA nazis, may just be over the top.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=BWalker]...The op would be much more money ahead by going with the toyota. I'd personally opt for the Tundra over the taco though....

Google "Tundra air pump" and you'll change your mind about that.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/04/26/tundra-sequoia-air-injection-induction-pump/

Toyota is perfectly capable of building a half-million mile worthy vehicle, they ship them all over the world. They are called the Hilux pickup. I've driven them on a couple of continents

As good as Toyota is though, having to build stuff that lard-ass americans will buy, and stay in line with EPA nazis, may just be over the top.

We'd all be in hog heaven if they offered the hi-lux here.......Just sayin..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Id about kill for a D4D diesel engine in my Taco along with a solid front axle. Other than these two items you can keep the Hilux

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had chevys and dodges, because of resale value alone I got a tacoma. I downsized from the full size trucks, only have it about a year but very nice truck and big enough for what I'm going to do with it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ditto.

My wife and I were in South Africa and Japanese trucks had diesels. I'd imagine if they get imported here diesel fuel will become a tax revenue target of the first order...but it already is...

Defend the Constitution
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Ditto.

My wife and I were in South Africa and Japanese trucks had diesels. I'd imagine if they get imported here diesel fuel will become a tax revenue target of the first order...but it already is...

I wish Toyota offered a diesel here in the US in the Tacoma and Tundra. However, with Obammy and his goons at the EPA, we don't have to worry about that happening.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When we were truck shopping, I talked with the local Toyota dealer. He said Toyota was considering a Tundra 3/4 ton with a diesel engine but they dropped it. They have no plans to make either a 3/4 or a diesel. They tend to over sell the Tundra's load capacity, though. I know they lost a sale to me because they don't have a 3/4 ton. I would have been quite happy with their gas engine, but not the 1/2 ton.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a 2003 GMC Z71, 212k miles, bought new, replaced both catalytic converters and rebuilt the water pump. That is it for repairs. I wouldn't hesitate driving acriss country in it right now.

Had a 2007 Chevy Z71, put 94k miles on it, zero repairs at all, but it was burning some oil, but "within spec" and the mileage had dropped down from 18ish when new to in the 15's. Sold it and bought an 06, F250 6.oh-no diesel and can't wipe the smile off my face (until it blows up in my face that is) smile. Over several hundred miles of cruise control interstate, its getting 21mpg. Only has 60k miles on it and I'm going to 'bulletproof' it to take care of the issues with the engine.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Have a 2003 GMC Z71, 212k miles, bought new, replaced both catalytic converters and rebuilt the water pump. That is it for repairs. I wouldn't hesitate driving acriss country in it right now.

Had a 2007 Chevy Z71, put 94k miles on it, zero repairs at all, but it was burning some oil, but "within spec" and the mileage had dropped down from 18ish when new to in the 15's. Sold it and bought an 06, F250 6.oh-no diesel and can't wipe the smile off my face (until it blows up in my face that is) smile. Over several hundred miles of cruise control interstate, its getting 21mpg. Only has 60k miles on it and I'm going to 'bulletproof' it to take care of the issues with the engine.

Was the 2007 Chevy a 5.3 liter with "active fuel management?"

FWIW, my 99 Tacoma only needed the contacts in the starter replaced in 13 years of ownership. One reason it was hard for me to not buy another Toyota.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 09/03/12.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I had a 01 GMC Z-71. It went through a alternator, a tranny, and two fuel pumps in 70k miles.
Better through a pinch of salt over your shoulder with that 6.0. I had a friend with one and it was a nightmare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto on finding parts for a Tundra on Sat. I'm on my 4th Tundra, and the next part I buy for it on Sat. or any other day of the week, will be the FIRST time. Reliable is the word. I can understand some need to buy parts for their Chevy, Dodge, and Fords, but not the reliable Toyota...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Toyota has been good to me. Hard for me to go any other way. Have a Sienna, Corolla, and Tundra right now. I'd never owned a Toyota but the last 2 GM's and 1 Dodge I owned before I bought the first Toyota all had problems at just over 100,000 miles.

Nothing except an ignition switch needed in any of the Toyota's (due to wife's monster key collection)....and 2 of the Toyota's are pushing 200,000. It's just my limited experience, but Toyota = twice the mileage with none of the problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Was the 2007 Chevy a 5.3 liter with "active fuel management?"

How did you guess? smile

Do a google search for "2007 GM 5.3" and then just let it autopopulate with the suggestions. Oil consumption is like the second or third one it suggests.

We had ours, contractor buddy at work has one, another contractor buddy at work had a 2007 Tahoe. All three burn oil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I had a 01 GMC Z-71. It went through a alternator, a tranny, and two fuel pumps in 70k miles.
Better through a pinch of salt over your shoulder with that 6.0. I had a friend with one and it was a nightmare.

I fully heed your salt-laced warning. smile Brother in law did a lot of research and bought one a year ago. After he got his I started reading up on them myself. Seems the main issue is when the oil cooler plugs it causes a chain reaction leading to blown head gaskets. The key is to monitor the oil temperature compared to the coolant temperature with an aftermarket system. As long as the difference is less than 15 degrees, life is good. When it gets over 10 degrees, start thinking about replacing the oil cooler with aftermarket.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hunter01
Ditto on finding parts for a Tundra on Sat. I'm on my 4th Tundra, and the next part I buy for it on Sat. or any other day of the week, will be the FIRST time. Reliable is the word. I can understand some need to buy parts for their Chevy, Dodge, and Fords, but not the reliable Toyota...

Isn't that the truth! smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no toyota junk,i've owned 4 chevy trucks sense 1976 when i started driving and i still have 2 of them on the road. drove my first till 1988 sold it still running with 349,000 miles on it. a friend parked it soon after that and put the transmission in another truck. itsstill running. drove my 1988 chevy over 280,000 miles til 2009 when i sold it to a farmer who is still using it. bought a new chevy colorado in 2004. 114,000 miles and tires and oil changes is theonly thing i've done to it. also bought a gmc 1500 in 2010 .oil changes is all i've done to it,still has original tires on it.thos unreliable chevies last a long time for me. toyotas break parts way more often from what i see and cost more to fix.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You obviously didn't have one with their 700R4 transmission. What a piece of crap. They routinely need rebuilding around 120k. I've had to have it done in 2 trucks. Then, when the 2d one was 6 mo. out of warranty, a piece of metal broke off the torque converter and was sucked through the transmission, totally gutting it. That's another $1700 rebuild.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
neither

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I have a 2000 Toyota Celica GTS (173K) I drive to work when it's nice and a 2001 Chevy Blazer ZR2 (157k) I drive when it's crappy. Bought the Blazer new in '01 and the Celica used in '06. Both have had minimal work. If I had it to do over, I would have bought a Tacoma instead of the Blazer, which was the plan until the dealer pissed me off.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by srwshooter
no toyota junk,i've owned 4 chevy trucks sense 1976 when i started driving and i still have 2 of them on the road. drove my first till 1988 sold it still running with 349,000 miles on it. a friend parked it soon after that and put the transmission in another truck. itsstill running. drove my 1988 chevy over 280,000 miles til 2009 when i sold it to a farmer who is still using it. bought a new chevy colorado in 2004. 114,000 miles and tires and oil changes is theonly thing i've done to it. also bought a gmc 1500 in 2010 .oil changes is all i've done to it,still has original tires on it.thos unreliable chevies last a long time for me. toyotas break parts way more often from what i see and cost more to fix.

You do realize the Colorado and Canyon were developed for GM by Isuzu? Your experience with GM vehicles is definitely unique, IME.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 09/04/12.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am sure you could get that kinda mileage out of a GM truck. You would just have to go it a steady supply of parts.
The other thing about GM trucks is that the hit about 75K and the are just rattle traps/loose feeling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just sold a '91 Chev 3/4 ton with 170k on it. Other than the aforementioned 700R4 transmission, it's been a really good one. Almost everything else on it is still original. It never had real good power with the 350 engine even with 4.10 gears, but I attribute that to that POS transmission. I wouldn't be afraid to take off across the country with it right now. If it had had a manual transmission and 4 doors, I'd have kept it and saved my money for a new engine when the time came.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Your experience with GM vehicles is definitely unique, IME.

Not unique in my experience. First car was a '55 Chev and I've had a whole bunch of Chevys since then. They've all been really good, no trouble with any of them. My '94 3/4T GMC gas truck bought new was parked in '04 when I got the DMax. Mostly sitting for the last 8yrs and with 230K miles it still runs very well. Even after spending 6mos. every winter covered with snow, it's never not started if there was juice in the battery. It doesn't rattle. Don't tell me GM doesn't make good vehicles.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't say that any of the automakers aren't capable of making "good" vehicles. As for the percentage of "good" vehicles I don't think any other makers have as high of a percentage as Toyota and Honda.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Ackman

Your experience with GM vehicles is definitely unique, IME.

Not unique in my experience. First car was a '55 Chev and I've had a whole bunch of Chevys since then. They've all been really good, no trouble with any of them. My '94 3/4T GMC gas truck bought new was parked in '04 when I got the DMax. Mostly sitting for the last 8yrs and with 230K miles it still runs very well. Even after spending 6mos. every winter covered with snow, it's never not started if there was juice in the battery. It doesn't rattle. Don't tell me GM doesn't make good vehicles.

My best GM vehicle was a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am with a 400 and 4 speed transmission. Was a fun car that I drove the hell out. Brings back a lot of memories. I don't remember doing anything other than a fuel pump to that car. Wish I would have kept it now.

One of my extra duties in the department I work for is vehicle fleet manager. The Fords we have had have proven to be more reliable and less expensive to maintain overall. Having said that, one of my favorites was the 96 Caprice with the LT1 in it. When our last one was retired a few years back it had right at 175,000 miles on it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Having a reliable American vehicle, GM included, is NOT unique. I see some very unique issues with some domestic rigs from posters here. Issues I've never had, nor heard of even. These magic imports are not immune to problems. Some folks refuse to drive imports, myself included. I have never owned one, never will. So what? mtmuley

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just sold a '91 Chev 3/4 ton with 170k on it. Other than the aforementioned 700R4 transmission, it's been a really good one. Almost everything else on it is still original. It never had real good power with the 350 engine even with 4.10 gears, but I attribute that to that POS transmission. I wouldn't be afraid to take off across the country with it right now. If it had had a manual transmission and 4 doors, I'd have kept it and saved my money for a new engine when the time came.

The automatic trannys are scary (even the 4l60E's). My wife's 99 suburban had 88,000 miles on it when I had to pull it and replace the reaction sun shell ($52.00 part). The dealership told me they would rebuild it for $2,300.00 but I said they could go F*&%^ themselves and just put in the part that was bad. That was 30,000 miles ago. It's been working like a champ but I told my wife I only gurarantee it for 50,000 grin. Like I said earlier I've had problems with my 04 GMC tranny too. I knew the tranny was weak when I bought it so I bought an extended warranty for it and the dealership rebuilt it 1 year after I bought it along with the front differential. The big suburban gets better gas mileage than my truck does and it has the old antiquated 5.7 vortec in it instead of the new ls1 5.3 L. that my truck has. Do an internet search on the 4l60E tranny and you'll see that they are a pos just like the 700R4 (basically the same tranny except the 4l60E is electronically controlled [bleep].....oops, I mean shift)....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 700R4 was originally the old TH400 which was a pretty good transmission. They added an OD gear that was too weak and that's the gear that caused the problems in both of my trucks.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am sure you could get that kinda mileage out of a GM truck. You would just have to go it a steady supply of parts.
The other thing about GM trucks is that the hit about 75K and the are just rattle traps/loose feeling.

I was warned by a former Chevy owner that they self destruct at 75k . He was off by 4k

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Toyota.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I was warned by a former Chevy owner that they self destruct at 75k . He was off by 4k

71k dang that bites

220 Swift still king.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Swift
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

71k dang that bites

Especially when the only time it was used as a truck is when it went hunting..it was beyond babied. I have a list of people that will buy any vehicle I own if and when I decide to sell them. I traded in the Chevy .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Miguel,
If you drive lots of miles and need to haul stuff I recommend a diesel. That eliminates the Toyota. Buy a used one that hasn't pulled anything heavy (no fifth wheels or goosenecks). Then when you get to 200,000 miles you won't be looking for a new/used truck. I like the Ford 7.3, but the Chevys and Dodges are good also.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You obviously didn't have one with their 700R4 transmission. What a piece of crap. They routinely need rebuilding around 120k.

120k?? I have never seen one make it past 70k. GM stuff is garbage and the people that say its not have only owned and driven GM stuff and don't know any better. my dad's GMC envoy the fit of the body panels is so terrible that you would think its been in a wreck and poorly fixed. over the years I have worked for companies with a variety of vehicles. the chevy stuff had ill fitting doors, door handles that fell off in your hand, interior controls that would break easily. ITS FREAKING GARBAGE!!!! I will not own anything GM, toyota has been very reliable for me. I also think ford is putting out a decent product although still no toyota. if I needed a 1/2 ton or small truck. I would prolly buy a f150 with ecoboost. but not for the reliablity so much but because its a nice truck and gets decent mileage.

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I bit the bullet and bought a used 2009 Tacoma TRD quad cab yesterday. So far, so good. It is everything I am looking for in a truck. I looked very hard at several Silverados, but Toyotas reputation for dependability finally won me over. I'll try and post some pics this weekend. Thanks everyone for your input.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well, I was gonna suggest looking at Nissans, too, but congrats on the Tacoma. I won't throw rocks at Toyotas, but I've seen better service out of my Nissans than my friends have out of their Toyotas.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had a Tundra Crewmax Limited and loved it but my complaint with them is the quality of the metal in body. I could stand on the tail gate and it would bend, the box dented easily inside. It did run like a top and hold its value though. But u pay a premium for it to start with. My dad also has a Tundra but for some reason he doesnt like it, i think it has to do more so with the gas milage being horrible. He's been eyeing up the new ford f150 with the ecoboost lately.

Rob
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Despite all the stories you hear on the net of Tundra's getting 20mpg,I know of no one around here that gets that with a Tundra. And all the Tundra owners I know bitch about mileage.
IN reality my Tacoma gets [bleep] mileage for what it is. 17city 20 hwy is terrible for a truck this small. I really wish Toyota would offer the D4D diesel engine as a option in the Tacoma. I hav heard that D4D repowered Tacomas get 25 city 28 hwy, which would be really nice.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Despite all the stories you hear on the net of Tundra's getting 20mpg,I know of no one around here that gets that with a Tundra. And all the Tundra owners I know bitch about mileage.
IN reality my Tacoma gets [bleep] mileage for what it is. 17city 20 hwy is terrible for a truck this small. I really wish Toyota would offer the D4D diesel engine as a option in the Tacoma. I hav heard that D4D repowered Tacomas get 25 city 28 hwy, which would be really nice.

I recently took a 235 mile roundtrip from my home to Charlotte, NC in my 2011 Tundra. It is Double Cab, 4wd, 5.7 liter with the tow package and I got 22 mpg on the trip. I ran no more than 5 over the posted speed limit. So, 20 mpg is possible on the Tundra but it takes a lot of restraint. I have found if I keep the rpm's less than 2,000 and actually closer to 1,500 I get my best mileage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just put 250+ miles on my 5.7L Tundra last week when I moved my daughter. Probably 85% highway/15% city. I got 20.3 mpg. I was running about 65 mph, tachin about 1600 rpm. Last year on a trip to West Virginia I got 22 mpg. I average about 16.5 mpg all around, (city/highway). I'm not complaining at all. I don't think that is bad for a 6000 lb. 4x4 truck with 381 hp. I know guys with Dodges who are getting 10/12 mpg in their all around. Now that's something to complain about...

Last edited by hunter01; 09/30/12.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think my dad is only averaging about 14 with his...double cab model. Mine, a crewmax got about 20 on the highway setting cruise at the speed limit.

Could be worse, I had a Chev 2500HD crewcab before that with the 6.0L and 4:10 gears and I think I only got 9 out of it. With a 110L tank I would get maybe 400km's and if pulling I got 250km's

Last edited by harv3589; 09/30/12.

Rob
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I guess I am lucky. I bought a 2001 Silverado 1500 Extend cab with 14'000 miles in 2002. I now have 130'000 miles on it. I have put 2 waterpumps, a fuelpump, a front wheel bearing on each side, and tie rod ends. The AC compressor is now noisey but still blows cold. All in all I have been happy with it. Given the option to buy a new truck I would get a Tundra or F-150.........simply because I want to try something else !

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I never had any issues with the Chev or GM trucks I have owned. All have been good runners. That 2500HD that was so bad on gas was bullet proof and would take me wherever I wanted without a problem.

My new to me truck I am getting next weekend is a 2009 GMC 1500 and I am sure it will be fine.

Rob
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I typically see 15-16 in mixed driving and 17 and a little blasting 75ish down the highway in my Tundra. I have no doubt I could probably get 20 doing 60 on flat ground. I really like mine.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bit the bullet and bought a used 2009 Tacoma TRD quad cab yesterday. So far, so good. It is everything I am looking for in a truck. I looked very hard at several Silverados, but Toyotas reputation for dependability finally won me over. I'll try and post some pics this weekend. Thanks everyone for your input.
GOOD JOB!

7mm-375Ruger
Stiller TAC 300
Broughton 5C 9tw @ 28"
Jewell Trigger
Greybull Precision stock
180VLD @ 3145fps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If someone pulls up in a jap vehicle and asks permission to hunt or for a job to work on my property I would turn him down.

I suggest the Chevy!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh please! Here we go again. The Pearl Harbor thing again. Grow up, and get over it...Not impressed...

Last edited by hunter01; 10/03/12.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Finally, this thread is now complete with such an insightful post! grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Savage_99
If someone pulls up in a jap vehicle and asks permission to hunt or for a job to work on my property I would turn him down.

I suggest the Chevy!

Haw...ha ha

Just so I get it straight...no f**k foreign trucks allowed right!
Even thou the Toyota is made in USA & your beloved Chevy & Dodge are made in the good old.... MEXICO laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The engineering and many components come from the japs who started world war 2 and killed and tortured many innocent people.

I see no benefit or pride to a patriotic American to buy jap made goods.

Picture of the little japs surrendering their rifles to the US-Army.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The engineering and many components come from the japs who started world war 2 and killed and tortured many innocent people.

[Linked Image]

That dog ain't gonna hunt, so don't start with the pride and patriotism stuff. My grandfather served in the Pacific theater during WW2(enlisted at 30 years old) and did so so future generations of Americans could make their own choices....his words....not mine. He was not prejudiced towards the Japanese. My dad served during Viet Nam and I served during Desert Storm....so I will buy whatever the heck I want.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10/03/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda ironic how Chevy is going to China and Toyota is building trucks in America.

BTW, Chevy doesn't build a truck with enough towing capacity to pull their owners heads out of their azzes. laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

[Linked Image]

Toyota trucks are designed in the US, dumbass...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I suggest the Chevy!

Keep the hunting permission and the work...........my money spends anywhere and anytime !!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

[Linked Image]

So, are you also proud of your great grandparents that slaughter & killed innocent indian women & children in their camps too!

History is history...get over it, your showing your true color, & it's not a pretty sight wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Toyota trucks are designed in the US, dumbass...

The profits go to Japan and contribute to the US trade deficit. toyota is still has its headquarters in Japan.....

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They have a headquarters here and the trucks are made here.The profits go to the stockholders, of which I am sure many are Americans. Irregardless, I bought Big Three junk for years and I am done. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/04/12.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by senior

[Linked Image]

So, are you also proud of your great grandparents that slaughter & killed innocent indian women & children in their camps too!

History is history...get over it, your showing your true color, & it's not a pretty sight wink

Nah the Dumbphuck is off his meds again..he drives a lincoln town car what the [bleep] does he know

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They have a headquarters here and the trucks are made here.The profits go to the stockholders, of which I am sure many are Americans. Irregardless, I bought Big Three junk for years and I am done. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

Your reply explains your toyota purchase, among other things. As far as me buying foreign trash vehicles, NEVER going to happen.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You just have to ignore MIVHNTR. He's the biggest azzhole on the Fire. He's got his head so far up his azz, he can see China from there. He doesn't have the foggiest idea about what he's talking about. GO TOYOTA.

P.S. Now just sit back an watch what kind of stupid comeback he has for this post. I know him sooooooo well. He just can't help himself. The Azz...hole.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR

Your reply explains your toyota purchase, among other things. As far as me buying foreign trash vehicles, NEVER going to happen.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[Linked Image]

Toyota

( yeah, that left number is a 5...)

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Absolutely no question.

On third Toyota truck plus own a Toyota car.

ZERO problems with Toyota and Honda in 30 years

Phug OBAMA and his schitty auto company.

I bought Toyota stock a few years ago during the false warning used to boost GM stock. Made a tidy sum on that one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
After the Marxist Obama's union tug GM moved a good portion to Communist China I see no reason to support GM

The commies killed 1000 times more innocent people than the Japs

Put that in your pipe and smoke it

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So much that is supposed to be American Made has parts built elsewhere............I can't waste my time tracking down where this was made and that was made!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
So much that is supposed to be American Made has parts built elsewhere............I can't waste my time tracking down where this was made and that was made!!!

Taxpayer dollars and they move Truck production to mexico. That makes sense

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I grew up in the Flint area and most of my family was employed in the auto industry in one form or another. I too thought like you, but them I realized how many of the vehicles I bought had issues. The last straw was a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 I bought new. That POS ate expensive parts like injection pumps, front ends and auto tranny's like it was going out of style and it rusted out in short order. Of course it was built in Mexico with a Cummins diesel engine block cast in Brazil....

Last edited by BWalker; 10/06/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you need a job done, you need a truck that will do it. Neither Toyota nor Nissan make a 3/4 ton.

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If you need a job done, you need a truck that will do it. Neither Toyota nor Nissan make a 3/4 ton.

True. However, not everyone needs a 3/4 ton truck and from the examples the OP gave he does not need one either. My Tundra will tow and haul all I ever need....as would the other 1/2 tons.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10/07/12.

C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Had F-150's for the last 2 trucks. Ran each to about 180,000 with minimal complaints. Always buy slightly used - couple years old, under 30K. Bought the Tundra this time. Everyone I know runs a truck of some sort and I couldn't find a complaint on the Tundra.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to hear so many of you are happy with your Tundras. I just bought a 2008 model yesterday. Looking forward to dumping my old Dodge and all it's problems.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I no longer have a need for a 3/4 ton truck. I would however kill to have a diesel in my Tacoma.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tominboise
The Tacoma would likely get better mileage. I think that both brands are pretty reliable and driving the miles you do that either will do the trick. I think it's more which style do you prefer.

You may want to check on that. What I hear is the opposite.

On another note, don't mess with a guy driving a Dodge. He's already mad... shocked

DF

M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]
Just thought I would post a pic of the truck that I wound up getting. It's everything that I want, and need in a truck. Fuel economy is so so, between 19 and 20, mixed highway and town driving. But I knew that going in, otherwise I would have gone with the 4 banger.
All I can say is, I really love this rig, I hope to keep it for a long time and I hope Toyotas reputation for dependability won't let me down. This is my fourth Toyota 4x4, and I had very minimal problems with the other three.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks nice and probably rides pretty good with the long wheel base.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I grew up in the Flint area and most of my family was employed in the auto industry in one form or another. I too thought like you, but them I realized how many of the vehicles I bought had issues. The last straw was a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 I bought new. That POS ate expensive parts like injection pumps, front ends and auto tranny's like it was going out of style and it rusted out in short order. Of course it was built in Mexico with a Cummins diesel engine block cast in Brazil....

toyota=Japan. Buying one adds to the trade deficit. You don't complain about that, but harp that a Dodge was built in Mexico? I detect quite a bit of hypocrisy on your part. toyota's don't have problems and don't rust? That's a pile of bovine excrement.
Again, your reply explains your toyota purchase, among other things.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think this guy must be Walt's long lost twin.

All of my Toyotas lasted longer than any of the Detroit junk I had the misfortune of owning.Regardless of where they are built there is a market for things that WORK!

Last edited by Sauer200; 10/08/12.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I suggest the Chevy!

Well, after the fella you let hunt on your property with his Chevy fails to get it started and leaves it stranded blocking your gate... you may reconsider your convictions. laugh

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sauer200

All of my Toyotas lasted longer than any of the Detroit junk I had the misfortune of owning.Regardless of where they are built there is a market for things that WORK!

You sound like you are very well acquainted with the blowbama supporter from Ohio. A fellow ranger perhaps?

I use my truck. Hence, no sissy junk from Japan.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

You sound like you are very well acquainted with the blowbama supporter from Ohio. A fellow ranger perhaps?

You've obviously had good luck with your american made truck............but I suspect that not all previous owners of american made trucks share your good fortune!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sauer200

Nope.Just a guy who likes what works best for him.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You've obviously had good luck with your american made truck............but I suspect that not all previous owners of american made trucks share your good fortune!!!

My American made truck has done much more than get groceries or go to a mall, which is all the Japanese trucks are good for.

Not everyone that has a rice burner truck has a worry free and trouble free experience as you profess to have had. More than a few previous owners of Japanese made trucks have told me that were/are not satisfied and with their foreign made purchases. The thing is, they admitted it and sold them.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

toyota=Japan. Buying one adds to the trade deficit. You don't complain about that, but harp that a Dodge was built in Mexico? I detect quite a bit of hypocrisy on your part. toyota's don't have problems and don't rust? That's a pile of bovine excrement.

Couple points that you don't seem to comprehend. Many Toyota's are made in the USA. Many Big three vehicles are made in other countries. Buying a US made Toyota does not contribute to the trade deficit...
And yes, Toyota's have very, very few problems and the rust thing was fixed years ago...

Last edited by BWalker; 10/09/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Ciuple points that you dont seem to get. Many toyotas are made in the USA. Many Big three vehicles are miade in other countries. Buying a US made toyota does not contribute to the trade deficit...
And yes, Toyotas have very, very few problems and the rust thing was fixed years ago...

FJB Let's Go Brandon
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I am sure that many foreign truck owners will profess the same results that you have.

Face it.............with both american and foreign trucks there will always be the occasional POS in the woodpile!!!

My American made truck has done much more than get groceries or go to a mall, which is all the Japanese trucks are good for.

Not everyone that has a rice burner truck has a worry free and trouble free experience as you profess to have had. More than a few previous owners of Japanese made trucks have told me that were/are not satisfied and with their foreign made purchases. The thing is, they admitted it and sold them.

Just because your first hand experience with friends that have had bad experiences with foreign trucks doesn't make it the be all end all.............you will find the same bad experiences on both sides of the ocean !!!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Likewise, many people(myself included) have had bad luck with GM, Ford, and Chryler products and sold them. Had they not produced such junk in the 80's and 90's maybe the Japanese would have not gained so much ground. Why would I continue to spend my hard earned money on products that have given me significant problems in the past?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TOKYO, JAPAN

Toyota recalls 7.4 million vehicles world wide, for defective power window switches.

Toyota has been trying to fix its reputation after a series of massive recalls of 14 million vehicles over several years.

Before that, Toyota had boasted a reputation for pristine quality, centered around its super-lean production methods that empowered the worker to hone in on quality control.

Toyota executives have acknowledged the escalating recalls were partly caused by the company's overly ambitious growth goals.

WTH, nobody's perfect? ;O)

One BIL used to be a Toyota fanatic, emphasis on "used to be". The frame rust-out on his beloved extended cab Taco 4x4 threw him off a bit. Then he took advantage of their generous trade-in offer and swapped it on a new 4 cyl. regular cab 2WD Taco and he's had second thoughts. Especially when shortly thereafter, they went in the "new frame" direction, instead. So that pizzed him off somethin' fierce, right there. Could've kept his old truck, had he waited a bit?

Then his wife's new Camry took a chit in freeway traffic (auto tranny). She's now on tranny #3, so she's not a happy girl, either.

Chit happens with any manufactured product and I sorta liked the Tacoma at one point, but don't own any Jap trucks. The Tundra is well-loved by a few friends that have them, but to me, they're too damn fugly to sit in my driveway?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wanna make a bet there are more registered Toyotas on the road from the 80's then there are Ford trucks?

To compare the quality of a Toyota truck with a Ford is ROTFLMAO. Get Real . That is why they have the resale value , why they seldom offer rebates and they disappear from Dealers lots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dunno, never owned any Furd pickups? I can tell you that there are far more 70s and 80s Chevy pickups still on the roads around here, than either Furds, Toyotas or Dodges.

Might even be more Chevys, than the other three put together? I would say most of the 80s vintage Tacos long ago rusted to the ground?

Tacomas began to be good trucks around 1990, from what I can tell? A buddy is still driving his '90 4 cyl. 5 spd. 4x4 Tacoma, bought new.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tacomas came out in '95.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by dubePA
Dunno, never owned any Furd pickups? I can tell you that there are far more 70s and 80s Chevy pickups still on the roads around here, than either Furds, Toyotas or Dodges.

Might even be more Chevys, than the other three put together? I would say most of the 80s vintage Tacos long ago rusted to the ground?

Tacomas began to be good trucks around 1990, from what I can tell? A buddy is still driving his '90 4 cyl. 5 spd. 4x4 Tacoma, bought new.

Quite a few 80's Toyota trucks still on the road around my parts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think we're trying to compare regional differences. Around here there's an equal mix of Ford and Chevy among vehicles over 15yrs old, and Dodge holds its own with trucks newer than 15yrs. Toyotas of every age are very popular too.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The older toyotas rusted in road salt states, but mechanicaly where bullet proof.
BTW if we are using recalls to denegrate toyota. How about the Ford/firestone tire recall or the GM side sadal gastank recall. or how about that things they didnt recall..like GM trucks cracking frames by the steering box or GM trucks burning oil due to bad valve guides..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We've owned probably 100 1/2t PU's over the past 14 years for work, inc Ford, Chevy, and Toyota Tundra. You get good ones and not so good ones in every make. The best so far was a 2001 F150 my dad drove 330,000+ miles with numerous brake jobs and a timing chain being the only things done besides routine maintenance. The Tundra's get dented and dinged easier than any of them with their paper thin sheet metal. They run good though, but you'd be well off to own a refinery for the gas they suck. We won't even buy them anymore because our Z71's and F150 4x4's have held up so well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Tundra could easily be my next truck, but the fuel economy is poor from every account I've heard and read. I can't understand how Toyota lets this happen-----------the fuel economy, not the reporting.

--Winston Churchill
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Every Tundra owner I know in real life says the same thing...the mileage sucks> Every tundra owner on the internet gets 20mpg..go figure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tacomas came out in '95.

Whatever they called their little pickups back in the 80s (Hilux?), most wound up as rust buckets. Although they had pretty stout drivetrains.

And my response was in answer to the statement concerning 80s pickups, when Toyota was already in the wee pickup market here.

Datsuns became Nissans, so who gives a chit about whatever brand name something became later, if we're talking about the same manufacturer's product at an earlier point in time?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry you had to get all bent outta shape there dupe. Just pointing out (for future reference) that the Tacoma didn't come out until '95. Since each model and generation has it's own strengths and weaknesses, using the correct names for vehicles seems kinda important.......at least to me.

--Winston Churchill
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 222Rem
A Tundra could easily be my next truck, but the fuel economy is poor from every account I've heard and read. I can't understand how Toyota lets this happen-----------the fuel economy, not the reporting.

I don't find the Tundra any worse than other 1/2 ton 4wd trucks in the fuel mileage department. I did not expect it to be a fuel miser when I bought it. I am actually pleased with the highway mileage on my Tundra. If driven with patience it is quite surprising. If someone chooses not to believe me that is fine with me.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10/10/12.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by dubePA
Tacomas came out in '95.

Whatever they called their little pickups back in the 80s (Hilux?), most wound up as rust buckets. Although they had pretty stout drivetrains.

And my response was in answer to the statement concerning 80s pickups, when Toyota was already in the wee pickup market here.

Datsuns became Nissans, so who gives a chit about whatever brand name something became later, if we're talking about the same manufacturer's product at an earlier point in time?

Again, maybe in your neck of the woods they rusted away but that is not the case every where. A body shop told me the beds were more prone to rust, especially along a seam near the bottom of the bed. They would pull the beds off, paint both sides of the sheet metal, weld it back together and the rust problem in that seam was supposedly taken care of. They claimed they used to do a similar operation to 70's and 80's Chevrolet trucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't find the Tundra any worse than other 1/2 ton 4wd trucks in the fuel mileage department. I did not expect it to be a fuel miser when I bought it. I am actually pleased with the highway mileage on my Tundra. If driven with patience it is quite surprising. If someone chooses not to believe me that is fine with me.

I believe your claims VA, it's just that I'm not hearing anyone else claiming that kind of mileage also. I don't know if that means you just got lucky, or if everyone else has a heavier foot. I try to look at "trends" when possible. And you seem to be the exception to the trend.

My dad (70yrs) drives his '99 F250 7.3 PS like the proverbial old lady going to church, and only averages 18mpg on the freeway at 5mph over. He's barely cracked 20mpg a couple times on slower two lanes. Granted it's a long bed crew cab, so that's a lotta steel rolling down the road, but I've talked with enough guys running Dodges who can easily break into the low 20mpgs to know that the trucks are in fact different. The way my dad drives, I'm sure he'd get at least 25mpg with a Cummins.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from more Tundra owners who are driving with restraint and getting the kind of mileage I expect from Toyota.

--Winston Churchill
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, that wouldn't be me, then. I don't drive with restraint. My '11 Tundra has gotten 18 on the highway a couple times at the speed limit (65 up the Gorge and then 70 to Spokane) and it's gotten a hair over 8 --- pulling probably 6k# and with lots of headwind, especially in the Gorge. With a headwind, hills, or load, you can't drive with restraint, but that's what Tundras are for.

The more you tow, the more gas you use, but Tundras --- at least tow-equipped ones like mine --- will tow like there's no tomorrow.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

I believe your claims VA, it's just that I'm not hearing anyone else claiming that kind of mileage also. I don't know if that means you just got lucky, or if everyone else has a heavier foot. I try to look at "trends" when possible. And you seem to be the exception to the trend.

My dad (70yrs) drives his '99 F250 7.3 PS like the proverbial old lady going to church, and only averages 18mpg on the freeway at 5mph over. He's barely cracked 20mpg a couple times on slower two lanes. Granted it's a long bed crew cab, so that's a lotta steel rolling down the road, but I've talked with enough guys running Dodges who can easily break into the low 20mpgs to know that the trucks are in fact different. The way my dad drives, I'm sure he'd get at least 25mpg with a Cummins.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from more Tundra owners who are driving with restraint and getting the kind of mileage I expect from Toyota.

I have 3 weeks off from work coming up(1 week in October and 2 in November) that I will be driving the Tundra quite a bit. I'll be hauling ATV's, hunting equipment and other things so hopefully I'll have a better idea of the Tundra's normal mileage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoy the time off. smile

--Winston Churchill
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Driving regular, with no trailer I consistently get 20 mpg with my Tundra. Pulling a camper and going up mountains kills the mpg, but that's expected. It's done 20mpg since the first road trip I took it on up until the last time I checked it a couple of weeks ago....

I have gotten as low as 8 mpg when pulling a camper and running 80-85 on the flats...mountains in between.... sick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My experience is the Tundra is no worse than the Fords I've owned and the Chevys my brother has owned. Sheet metal does ding easily.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Well, that wouldn't be me, then. I don't drive with restraint. My '11 Tundra has gotten 18 on the highway a couple times at the speed limit (65 up the Gorge and then 70 to Spokane) and it's gotten a hair over 8 --- pulling probably 6k# and with lots of headwind, especially in the Gorge. With a headwind, hills, or load, you can't drive with restraint, but that's what Tundras are for.

The more you tow, the more gas you use, but Tundras --- at least tow-equipped ones like mine --- will tow like there's no tomorrow.

I have a 2007 Tundra and have to admit I don't drive that way either. If I remember right I got almost 18 driving empty to Spokane, WA once while driving the speed limit of 70 MPH with the cruise control set all the way. That is a rare thing for me. Driving around home I average right at 15. Whether this is good or bad I don't really know. I do know that a Chevy I had back in the 80s and 90s never saw 10 MPG so I feel the Tundra does pretty good.

I also love the way it tows our 8000 plus pound travel trailer. We drove around 4000 miles on a trip to Colorado and back this sumer and averaged just a tad over 8.25 MPG. That includes lots of mountain passes as well as 8000 ft highway elevations. I never felt under powered and actually never came across a pass I couldn't pull at least 60 MPH and usually 65. It also handled the trailer very, very well while coming down steep mountain passes. In short, I was very happy with its performance. Sure, less fuel consumption would have been nice but in talking with many other folks in various campgrounds, who were being honest about things, the only rigs doing much better were diesels and some of them weren't as economical as I thought they would be. I also found that Tundra owners in general were more pleased with the towing performance of their trucks than many folks with other manufactures were. Several folks mentioned they wish they had bought diesels instead, but I don't recall hearing that from any Tundra owners.

Bottom line is, if I was worried about economy first and foremost I would probably look for something smaller than a 5.7 liter engine or buy a smaller truck. Since I enjoy the power of the 5.7 Tundra and its ability to tow I accept the results. As was mentioned before I doubt there is much difference in the Tundra and other makes with everything being equal.

As far as the sheet metal being thin I haven't noticed it on my Tundra but do see it on my wife's 2009 Camry. It has a few "parking lot" scars and it does appear that the metal is thin, so I assume that my the metal in my truck is probably the same way. However it is something I can certainly live with.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don't know what you guys are doing any different than we did, ours being all on relatively level ground, all with 5.7. 17 on hwy was best any of them would to, 13 in town. These were SuperCrew 4x4's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Mine does a bit better than that but not a whole lot. It is a regular cab with long bed and topper. Don't know whether the topper hurts or helps the mileage as I have heard it argued both ways.

Here is a picture where we are getting ready to pull out of an rv park in Estes Park, CO.

[Linked Image]

Larry
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice 25RKS Jayco, I have one as well. I have an 08 Chevy diesel that pulls mine.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 24mileboy
Nice 25RKS Jayco, I have one as well. I have an 08 Chevy diesel that pulls mine.

Yes, it is a 25RKS and we do enjoy it. I'm sure your fuel consumption is much more pleasant than mine though. laugh

One thing I have been impressed with this trailer is how well it tracks. I have yet to use the anti-sway bar because it just doesn't seem to move even at speeds as high as 70 MPH.

Larry
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Don't know what you guys are doing any different than we did, ours being all on relatively level ground, all with 5.7. 17 on hwy was best any of them would to, 13 in town. These were SuperCrew 4x4's.

Does yours have the towing package?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a 04 Silverado crew cab 78K no real issues and like it 15 to 18 MPG in summer winter about 14 MPG. 5.3 engine.

Had a 81 Toyota PU and it was a lemon, I know unusual but influences my decision.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
rvp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The key to getting the most out of any Truck (IMO)is the Motor OIL AND THE FILTERS.My 1995 Z-71 chevy has 425000 and still going . Put 150000 on a Tundra with no problems while my son drove the Z-71 to high school. I traded the Tundra and bought him a Tahoe for college. I kept the Chevy because the cost of repair when needed was less expensive. Bought a new 2011 Z-71 for travel. Just put 5600 miles out west and got 19.2 mpg.on it. I will put a new motor in the old Z-71 when it needs it. That will cost about 6 grand with a new Trans,radiator and install kit. They are both GREAT trucks if you use Mobil 1 synthetic and K&N air filters,with Purolater gold oil filters. Chevy milage is up, Older Z-71 gets 15, new Z-71 gets 18 avg. Tundra got 16 t0 17 which is not bad for a 4wd trucks , its your choice.

SHOOT STRAIGHT AND OFTEN. Hunt with your kids. Teach them not to shoot anything that they are not going to eat. Have respect for all ANIMALS.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is very interesting in fuel mileage. I traded a 3/4 ton with a 6.0 gasser to get this truck. Unfortunately the mileage isn't too different between the two, 3-4 mpg better. The main difference is I can put the cruise on the diesel and not have to worry. the gasser I would have to have my foot on the throttle all the time in 4th or 5th gear(6spdauto) while towing.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's the one thing about the 5.7 gas engine in the Tundra that I wish was different---it has to shift down into lower gears sooner than a diesel would, to pull a load up a hill. I had four diesels over 23 years and got to really like the torque.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 24mileboy
It is very interesting in fuel mileage. I traded a 3/4 ton with a 6.0 gasser to get this truck. Unfortunately the mileage isn't too different between the two, 3-4 mpg better. The main difference is I can put the cruise on the diesel and not have to worry. the gasser I would have to have my foot on the throttle all the time in 4th or 5th gear(6spdauto) while towing.
[Linked Image]

Nice. Does yours have an electric jack?

Also, do you use an anti-sway system of some sort?

Larry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just rolled over 40,000 miles in my 2010 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 (this is my second one) , and shes never been back to the dealership since I bought her. Fuel mileage varies from 18 mpg if I drive like an old lady on the highway to 5mpg pulling my 8,000 lb twin engine offshore boat into a 25 mph headwind. It consistently does 15-16mpg mixed driving and I drive it like I have near 400 hp under the hood and rightfully so. Do I wish it got 20-23 mpg on the highway.....hell yeah but thats not gonna happen with most any truck these days, gas or diesel thanks to emission standards. And I could buy a vehicle that would get 20-23 mpg consistently but then I cant tow anything. Real world fuel mileage between any of the bigger half tons doesnt vary much more than a couple mpg and in the greater scope of things it really dont mean chit money wise. What I like is driving something that last a long time and doesnt give me much down time due to mech breakdowns. In that department Toyotas have always shined for me and its not like I havent given the Big 3 a chance, it just didnt last very long. I owned a 2010 F-150 for 6 months before I lost my mind with the dealer and their flash program bullchit and traded it in on another Tundra. And all this Japan vs America bullchit doesnt hold a candle to the truth. My Tundra was built about 22 miles from my househere in San Antonio, by Americans!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No electric jack, would like to get someday. Do use an anti sway leveler and it sure helps.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,571
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.