Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I'm in the market for a new/used truck. I thought I was decided on a Tacoma Crew Cab/long bed 4x4/V-6, but the pickings are pretty slim locally, and when I can find one that I want, the prices seem quite high. On a whim I stopped at a local Chevy dealer and looked over a couple of 2009 Silverado extended cabs/4x4/Z-71's, and was quite impressed. The prices on the Chevys were quite a bit lower than comparible optioned Tacomas. I have owned both Toyota Tacomas and Silverados in the past and am having a hard time deciding which way to go.
I usually drive around 40,000 miles a year, mostly highway. Any heavy hauling I do is with my tandem axle trailer, but never long distances or real heavy loads. As far as off roading goes, very limited, like driving down to my back meadows, or getting into my hunting area which may have 6" of snow covering the gravel road.
I am planning on keeping which ever vehicle I buy for the next five years, which realistically means it will have +200,000 miles on it. My gut tells me to go with the Toyota, but I would like to hear from you all.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I just bought a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Toyota products, in general, are more reliable and last longer than most other brands, IMO.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Depends

If you hunt - Toyota

If you want to date older chicks - Chevy
If you want to date younger chicks - yot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Tacoma would likely get better mileage. I think that both brands are pretty reliable and driving the miles you do that either will do the trick. I think it's more which style do you prefer.

Regards,

Tom
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I was in the same boat as you earlier this year and wound up getting a Double Cab Tundra 4wd with the 5.7 liter. The mileage is not a whole lot different than the Tacoma(highway) but it has a lot more room, is more comfortable, and has more towing/hauling capabilities. I was not impressed with the Silverado's power train when compared to the Tundra and F150.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Am on a somewhat similar hunt and chevys reliably/inexpensively making it to the 200k mark would be largest question in my mind.

I can't imagine how any government ownership would do anything but contribute to a loss of overall quality. (but in the spirit of full disclosure, that concept as an alternative reeks, IMHO, and is enough for me to cross GM products off the list regardless of their reputation).

The initial cost of vehicles has risen so high relative to wages that I'd like keep the risk of additional ownership expenses as low as possible.

Yota....and I'd shop Ford or Dodge additionally.

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've got a 2007 Yote quad cab.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We were real close to buying a '12 quad cab, long bed Tundra but decided we really needed a 3/4 ton and Toyota doesn't make one. We really liked the Tundra for handling, comfort, and longevity. The local dealer had a good supply of good used ones, too. They do hold their value.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by tomk
Am on a somewhat similar hunt and chevys reliably/inexpensively making it to the 200k mark would be largest question in my mind.

I can't imagine how any government ownership would do anything but contribute to a loss of overall quality. (but in the spirit of full disclosure, that concept as an alternative reeks, IMHO, and is enough for me to cross GM products off the list regardless of their reputation).

The initial cost of vehicles has risen so high relative to wages that I'd like keep the risk of additional ownership expenses as low as possible.

I too would consider the Ford but would be a little nervous of the Dodge. One of my extra duties in the department I work for is vehicle fleet manager. The department bought two cars late last year...a 2011 Hemi Charger and a 2011 Crown Vic PI. I was issued the Ford and am very happy with it. The Charger is quicker, faster, and handles better but has also been back to the dealer a few times already. It will be interesting to follow the two cars as they age and compare their reliability.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
40,000mi/yr? Dude, you need a Honda Civic, not a damn 4wd. That or move closer to work.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unimog. The only way to go!

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
40,000mi/yr? Dude, you need a Honda Civic, not a damn 4wd. That or move closer to work.

I work where ever my company bids jobs. Being in the construction trades, you can't choose where you work if you chase the big $. And, as a general rule, if the job is less than 100 miles away, I will commute it daily. Last year was a real bear, 93 miles each way, and 10 1/2 hour days. Left home at 4:45am, got home at 7:30pm, that will wear on you.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by tomk

I too would consider the Ford but would be a little nervous of the Dodge. One of my extra duties in the department I work for is vehicle fleet manager. The department bought two cars late last year...a 2011 Hemi Charger and a 2011 Crown Vic PI. I was issued the Ford and am very happy with it. The Charger is quicker, faster, and handles better but has also been back to the dealer a few times already. It will be interesting to follow the two cars as they age and compare their reliability.

I put 127,630 miles on a 2004 Crown Vic with only a fuel pump failure and a slight problem with the rear axle. I do not recall ever putting the first ounce of oil in it other than when the oil was changed at every 6000 miles. Though it was not as fast as a Charger or Chevy Tahoe it was overall a pretty dependable car. Yes I have driven the 2012 Charger and it will scorch the earth.

Back to the main topic. Yes I am a diehard GM man, but would not hesitate to get a Totoyta Tundra or Toyota Tacoma. Probably would be a Tundra since I am around 6' 4". My brother in law has a Tacoma and he loves it. I think for the long haul the Toyotas would be hard to beat.

NEVER GIVE UP
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's OK to buy a rice grinder, but not a Chevrolet? mtmuley

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Buying a used Taco doesn't make sense. For what they want for used ones a new one is the only way to go. That is what I'd do, and did.

Saving 3-4 mpg doesn't seem like much until you do the math. That is about the difference I got when I traded my 1/2 ton for a Tacoma. I was getting 14mpg city vs 18mpg in the Tacoma. When I did the math it comes out to a $60- $70 savings for every 1000 miles I drive with gas @ $3.70/gal.

If you're diriving 4000 a month you'll spend close $250-$300 more in gas driving the Chevy. That will probably make up the difference in payments. The money you don't spend on repair bills helps too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A large percentage of my family works directly for GM or for suppliers to GM. Growing up dad always had Chevy's and GMC's and mom Pontiac's and Oldsmobile's. I, myself have owned 5 new GM vehicles, with the latest being a 09 GMC Acadia. With that said none of them made it much over warranty with out the typical GM nickle and dime routine. Then when they get around 100k the real big repair bills start. Also owned two dodge rigs and they were even worse!
Baring this in mind and the fact that I am aware of several Toyota's that have went 200k with brakes and tires only I purchased a 2012 Tacoma double cab TRD.
I AM DONE BUYING AMERICAN JUNK!
BTW my Tacoma is union made in TX according to the IBEW buy list at work. I'm not union, but that matters to some guys.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/01/12.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by miguel
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I work where ever my company bids jobs. Being in the construction trades, you can't choose where you work if you chase the big $. And, as a general rule, if the job is less than 100 miles away, I will commute it daily. Last year was a real bear, 93 miles each way, and 10 1/2 hour days. Left home at 4:45am, got home at 7:30pm, that will wear on you.

If you are a sub, and have to provide a truck and tools, I'd get a 2wd Taco. I've done that gig with a 4wd, everytime you want to go somewhere, you've got thousands of dollars worth of schit to unload, or have it stolen at a trailhead or boatramp. You have to have a WORK TRUCK. If this isn't the case, and you merely have to show up, get the damn Civic, and find yourself a nice used 4wd hunting rig. Trying to do both out of the same vehicle is stupid, do the math.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Take a knee, learn some manners. I won't tolerate being insulted, on the web or anywhere else.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by miguel
Take a knee, learn some manners. I won't tolerate being insulted, on the web or anywhere else.

No one has insulted your yankee ass. Lighten the [bleep] up. You asked a question, you got an honest, straightforward, no BS answer. How old are you?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Won't tolerate being insulted? On the web? Good luck with that. mtmuley

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (204guy, 260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,502
Posts18,509,209
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.