Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To each his own thing, but I have a .358 in a Featherweight model and I just don't see the attraction. At least not enough to spend the money like that for one. I shot a deer with it and it kills them dead. The recoil, when shooting off hand, is enough to make me lose the deer in the scope if I need a fast 2nd shot. This must be one of those "I just have to have " things.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by 99guy
I know this has been brought up before, but I would love to have a 99 in 35 Rem.

Caliber is even period correct.

How hard would it be to rebore a 300 Savage to 35 Rem?

Would the 300 rotary mag be compatible with the 35 Rem?

I'm thinking it would not be a giant leap to go from a 300 Savage to a 35 Rem..........but I am nobodies gunsmith.

Anybody?

the 30-30 or 303 seem to be better options from what I can tell and still about the same chamber pressures. I have one 303 that will chamber 6- 35Rem shells and the extractor/ ejectors works them out... most would only work partially and would need some further modification... not surprising though that most would need the case neck area of the rotor opened up to accept the 35 caliber more easily.

I was all excited to get started on this very project but in my unpacking, I am finding that I likely left that particular gun in STL and have no idea when I will get back there to dig it out and ship it to myself.

Cheers

Andrew
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
To each his own thing, but I have a .358 in a Featherweight model and I just don't see the attraction. At least not enough to spend the money like that for one. I shot a deer with it and it kills them dead. The recoil, when shooting off hand, is enough to make me lose the deer in the scope if I need a fast 2nd shot. This must be one of those "I just have to have " things.

Sell it...plenty here would pay good pesos for such a rifle!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yeah, I did have a couple big gun auctions. ( I moved and also I just pretty much got out of gun work.) I just can't seem to let go of the 99's whether I hunt with them or not.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Yeah, I did have a couple big gun auctions. ( I moved and also I just pretty much got out of gun work.) I just can't seem to let go of the 99's whether I hunt with them or not.

Clearly understandable! I have divested from many of my rifles....but the 99's have always left with regret!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a 99c rebored from .308 to .358 a few years ago. Had a burning yearning for the .358, but had doubts about every finding one that I would be willing to pay for, so the answer was to get one built. I went with the detach mag, not because I like them, but to avoid operating/feeding issues. Even with that, the mag took a fair bit of tweeking to feed reliably. My donor was a bit of an ugly rat, so I put on a laminated stock, and had all the metalwork powder coated ... not your traditional or collectible 99 by any means, but I like it, and it's definitely the only one on the block. Ron Smith ( Alberta, Canada) did the barrel rebore, and Corlane Sports (Dawson Creek, B.C.) did the powder coating, shortened (21") and recrowned the barrel, added a new front sight, and did the reassembly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a POS post mil E that was rebarrelled by Savage Arms in 1980 or so from a .308W to .358W. This is a picture of it when my father in law gave it to me in 1975 as a light colored birch stocked .308W.

[Linked Image]

And this is it as it now looks. It shoots GREAT and has had the original stocks refinished and darkened. It's also my favorite hy-bred.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tremendous improvement!

Hey Drew, how old were you in 1975? wink

LBK, was it a Christmas Present?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I have a POS post mil E that was rebarrelled by Savage Arms in 1980 or so from a .308W to .358W. This is a picture of it when my father in law gave it to me in 1975 as a light colored birch stocked .308W.

[Linked Image]

And this is it as it now looks. It shoots GREAT and has had the original stocks refinished and darkened. It's also my favorite hy-bred.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very Nice looking rifle, nothing wrong with Post-mills at all.
Tnx for sharing
steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
LBK, that certainly looks a whole lot better with the stained stock. What stain did you use?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
But it's STILL nothing more than a 99E post-mil refinished non-original rifle. LOOKS decent but still worth nothing more than a 99 shooter. $400.00 tops.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (blackhawk44, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 10 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.