Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, at least the forum isn't as lethargic now as it had been for a while!

As for BT getting stellar results that fly in the face of conventional wisdom regarding older Savage .250's using 100 grain bullets, it's entirely possible. Many have reported the same thing. It's simply explained by vagaries in the actual twist rate of many of those older rifles, as has been discussed ad finitum. A long 100 grain bullet in a true 1-14" twist will not stabilize so as to give bragging accuracy, and it is entirely due to the length, not weight, of the bullet. To make any 100 grainer work it must be a blunt round nosed design, or the twist has to be tightened up. That said, I'll bet most 99's give at least fair hunting accuracy with long incorrect bullets anyway. It's probably all in how we define 'accuracy' anyhow.

BT is quite often right (in a vulgar sort of way), but presents his arguments in such a manner that would get him expelled from any university debating forum. Those times when he's wrong, and proven so conclusively, he rarely (or never) retracts his statements or apologizes. It does make for very entertaining internet drama though!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Another of my favorites is his insistence that it's the weight of a larger bullet in a 250-3000 that keeps it from stabilizing in a 1-14" twist 250-3000, and NOT the length of the bullet.
Try some other technique to refresh your memory, [bleep]. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5985816/1
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Can_you_still_get_250_3000_#Post5646840

I stand corrected, you didn't say weight. See how that's done? A real man admits he made a mistake and moves on. Try it, now's your chance...

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
(And it's not the ogive length, it's overall length. A stubby 100 gr. bullet will work just fine, it's only coincidental that the ogive got shortened in the process.)
Uh, no, it's the ogive length.

Now just admit that the silliness of "ogive length" has nothing to do with stabilizing the bullet, and that it's overall length. Really, you can do it. Just say, "I was mistaken".

Baby steps, BT.. baby steps..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
(And it's not the ogive length, it's overall length. A stubby 100 gr. bullet will work just fine, it's only coincidental that the ogive got shortened in the process.)
Now just admit that the silliness of "ogive length" has nothing to do with stabilizing the bullet, and that it's overall length. Really, you can do it. Just say, "I was mistaken".

If a .25-caliber Nosler 85-grain bullet -- which is slightly shorter than either a Hornady 100-grain SP or "Winchester" 100-grain PSP -- won't stabilize, but the Hornady and Winchester slugs will, what would you say it was, stud? Come on, go dig in that vast resource of internet "knowledge" you have. Dummy.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A long 100 grain bullet in a true 1-14" twist will not stabilize so as to give bragging accuracy, and it is entirely due to the length, not weight, of the bullet.
And only your special lady friend Callie Gurl suggested otherwise.

BT is quite often right (in a vulgar sort of way), but presents his arguments in such a manner that would get him expelled from any university debating forum. Those times when he's wrong, and proven so conclusively, he rarely (or never) retracts his statements or apologizes.
When I've actually been proven wrong, I have admitted as such. Your little guru pal focuses on semantics and word usage as a measure of "right" and "wrong." If I have incorrectly identified a rifle he owns, I must therefore be wrong about everything else. If I focus the discussion of acceptable .250-3000 bullets more into the realm of specific characteristics, such as ogive length vice a simple discussion of bullet length, I must be wrong, because he isn't prepared to discuss that subject. These are all marks of a very insecure little person.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

If a .25-caliber Nosler 85-grain bullet -- which is slightly shorter than either a Hornady 100-grain SP or "Winchester" 100-grain PSP -- won't stabilize, but the Hornady and Winchester slugs will, what would you say it was, stud? Come on, go dig in that vast resource of internet "knowledge" you have. Dummy.

You're the ONLY one who states unequivocably that the 100gr bullets will stabilize perfectly well in every single pre-1960 250-3000. So..

Have a nice day, BT. Appreciate the chuckles.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe

WHICH one is Walter?????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by 1899sav; 09/10/12.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know I'm laffin.

LOL
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Welcome back Roy! Been aaaaaaay while! Amazingly I JUST referenced you in a post earlier this evening! It was all good son!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,917
Posts18,498,401
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.